logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tyke  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2009 11:49:22(UTC)
tyke

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

If you like me enjoy a pint in your local from time to time then our way of life is under threat. It seems that those who chew the fat over a pint in the sheps are being grouped in amongst those who go out friday and saturday night binge drinking in our town centres and causing havoc. Why should we be asked to pay a premium intended to discourage them?

Pubs are closing at an alarming rate due to many factors not least government regulation. Now they are proposing more legislation to supposedly curb "binge drinking" The traditional british local is worth supporting. In my view and we have some cracking traditional locals here in Whaley Bridge, Whether your choice is the Sheps, Goyt,  Dog & Partridge, 'Horse or others,  it doesn't matter. The Home office is asking for your views on these proposals and a questionnare is available on:- 

http://axethebeertax.co.uk/  

Where you can also lobby Mr Levitt.  There is a deadline of  Wednesday August 5th

If you agree please put your name to the petition and if you feel strong enough pass the message on. My only interest here is as a drinker in our fine hostelries and as a CAMRA member.

David  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2009 16:36:14(UTC)
David

With a deadline of 5th August it may be to late to lobby your local MP as Members of Parliament have now started their 82 day taxpayers funded summer holiday. If the Mail on Sunday can be believed a number of Labour MP's are swanning off to the palm-fringed shores of the South Pacific at taxpayers' expense. An island hopping 16 day trip to Fiji is the highlight of the packed itinerary of jaunts being arranged by the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. It's mission is to promote the advancement of Parliamentary democracy by enhancing knowledge and understanding of democratic governance. Some would say they are expensive jollies for the benefit of MP's paid for by the British taxpayer.

High Peak Harry  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2009 17:15:49(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Our darling MP claimed for a hairdrier, quite remarkable since he is bald!

http://mps-expenses.guardian.co.uk/page/453260/

Also this trip;

6. Overseas visits

* 23 July-3 August 2004, to Mongolia, at the invitation of the Mongolian Parliament, to talk to MPs, civil servants and political parties about standards in public life, party organisation and the development of civil society. My hotel and hospitality was paid by the Mongolian Government; I paid for my own air fare. (Registered 11 October 2004)
tyke  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2009 17:58:34(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Its the home office who are asking for consultation (which they will probably ignore but still worth a try) by August 5th. Mr Le-v-itt might be in the centre of controversy etc but he is still our MP until the next election... not much chance after that methinks!