logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 01 August 2009 18:46:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Evening All,

No it’s not George Dixon; it’s me and what a day I have had soaked through several times.

Today we should all raise a glass or give thanks to Samuel Fox from Bradwell.

Well done Sam, old lad. You didn’t just do Bradda proud but the rest of us in this inclement country.

It’s not just cement that came out of the Hope Valley.

R. S-S
Nigel  
#2 Posted : 01 August 2009 20:30:29(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good evening R. S-S.

I trust you have now dried out.

You mention the cement works in the Hope Valley. Since moving to this area I have always wondered how planning permission was ever given for such a monstrous structure to be built right in the heart of the Peak District. Were planning rules different in the past because I know for a fact they are much stricter these days. You only have to look at the situation at the Sheps, where are perfectly acceptable Pergoda had to be pulled down and replaced with two giant green umbrella's. How anyone (apart from Sam Fox) can think the Sheps beer garden is more attractive now than it was with the covered shelter is beyond me. The people responsible for the decision should hang their heads in shame.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2009 21:17:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Nigel,

I have been so wet this day that my wife has put a curfew on me. I shall not be partaking in the ‘Green Cream’ at The Shep’s this evening as she has fears that my damp condition may well develop into swine flu. I hope not.
I have agreed for once and am staying indoors at home.

I can not recall who actually constructed the Hope Valley Cement Works but I do know for absolute certain that there was a follow up contract awarded to A Monk and Company Limited from Warrington to form mounds to hide the works, from more sensitive eyes such as your own, from local spoil. Possibly Mam Torr.

Unfortunately when the cement works were completed it was quite obvious that this Company from Warrington would have to excavate half of Derbyshire to hide the offensive view and the contract was withdrawn by mutual consent.

Incidentally, Nigel, and keep this to yourself, but Bill Clinton was born in Hope.  

R. S-S

Nigel,

I really like your link to Sam and the Shep’s umbrellas. I wonder if any of our other readers will.
High Peak Harry  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2009 09:43:54(UTC)
High Peak Harry

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:
Incidentally, Nigel, and keep this to yourself, but Bill Clinton was born in Hope.

I thought, given the uncertain times we all live in (swine flu, terrorism, economy, forum censorship) that is where we all lived.

Lasselet  
#5 Posted : 02 August 2009 12:10:21(UTC)

Forgive me if I am missing something obvious, but why would a former page three model think the beer garden at the Shepherds Arms is attractive?

Personally I think the umbrella's are a very poor replacement for the covered shelter which was an attractive and practical addition to the pub. I agree the decision to rip down the previous structure was a disgrace.

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2009 12:40:38(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good morning R.S-S

Your posting about the cement works raised interest in this household, particularly with the mention of A Monk and Co of Warrington - the very firm which my Dad retired from 23 years ago ! (I think they have since been taken over.)

Of course, had the project taken place this Whaley lad would have been assured of a nice little job back home in Derbyshire !

Gnats

PS: Welcome Lasselet - love the ref to the former page three model, because not being a local I had a similar thought but more that she was working there! 

Edited by user 02 August 2009 12:42:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2009 14:38:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon to you Gnatalee,

Always very nice to hear from you; you can tell your Dad that A Monk and Co Limited were taken over in the 1990’s by Trafalgar House. A real shame if you ask me.

Gnats and Lasselet I think you are having me on aren’t you?  I was talking about Samuel Fox of Bradwell not Samantha Fox of the Sun.

I really do think the tone of this forum is going down hill if I may say so. Just look at Harry’s post on this thread.
I just happened to mention, in all innocence and honesty, that Bill Clinton was born in Hope and straight away we are on to page three models.
The next thing you know somebody is certain to say they once knew a girl from Hope called Monica and Bill had a thing for her.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 02 August 2009 19:50:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Now then,

Play the game Bartak.

This is a post that the forum police should have a look at and it may not come up to the standards required on here. I do not think it does.

I will support them on this occasion.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#9 Posted : 02 August 2009 22:03:50(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I think I've lost the plot!

Why would a model with big assets build a cement works in the Hope Valley, and why would Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski (sp?) be there? Also, why are we lifting a glass to Samuel Fox from Bradwell today of all days, and what else comes out of the Hope Valley?

I've been away for a few days - what have I missed?

Am I losing my mind?

Edited by user 02 August 2009 22:05:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#10 Posted : 02 August 2009 22:46:45(UTC)
High Peak Harry

She didn't
They weren't
He invented the brolly
The road to Castleton
Gnatalee  
#11 Posted : 02 August 2009 23:06:54(UTC)
Gnatalee

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 03 August 2009 09:06:36(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnatalee,

Ask your Dad if he knew Bill Lester a valued employee of A Monk and Co limited.

They were actually from Padgate.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#13 Posted : 03 August 2009 13:48:59(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi R.S-S

He says the name rings a bell but he can't quite place him. He was at Stanlow for about 16 yrs and then travelled all over to different sites up and down the country.

Gnats

Edited by user 03 August 2009 13:49:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bartak  
#14 Posted : 03 August 2009 17:27:38(UTC)

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 03 August 2009 19:10:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

That is a much better effort Bartak.

Well done. I applaud your research powers. Credit to you.

R. S-S
wily  
#16 Posted : 03 August 2009 20:15:09(UTC)

If memory serves me right it was non other than Councillor Jake Walsh who, in his capacity as Chairman of the Town Council, had the casting vote on whether the Whaley Bridge Town Council should recommend or refuse the retrospective planning permission for the now removed smoking shelter at the Shepherds. I believe Jake voted for refusal which ultimately led to the structure being removed and replaced with the umbrella's. I am sure Jake would stand by his previous decision but even he must surely admit that the current state of the Beer Garden is far worse than it was when the Pergola was in place.

Jake  
#17 Posted : 04 August 2009 03:31:20(UTC)

The Borough Council are the planning authority and actually make the final decision. WBTC only make comments as to our opinion of the planning application, and yes as Chair I did have the casting vote and recommened refusal. WBTC did approve a later application for a smaller shelter which should and could now be in place.

I fear the agument is between the brewery and the landlord as to who foots the bill and yes I do not like the Umbrellas (which are supposed to be a temporary measure by the way) but do stand by my decision.

The Sheperds is in the conservation area and the original retrospective planning application was deemed to be unsuitable by HPBC and WBTC.

I can not understand why a large brewery company did not talk to the planners prior to applying for permission when they wanted to first erect a Pergola come smoking shelter then this situation would never have occurred, instead they just road roughshod over all concerned and created a covered area with almost as much floor space as the inside of the pub, you just can't do that in a conservation area.

This subject keeps cropping up and I have made my position clear on numerous occasions so I think this is my final comment on the matter.

Edited by user 04 August 2009 03:34:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#18 Posted : 04 August 2009 16:34:40(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Isn't coincidence a strange thing.

This morning, on the radio, guess who was mentioned? Samuel Fox - inventor of the umbrella!!

Thank you HPH, for your succinct response to my queries. Much appreciated.

Edited by user 04 August 2009 16:35:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 04 August 2009 17:05:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Fedup,

I know that things took a turn for the worse between you and me when I became a little confused as to your gender.

But you appear to be ignoring me completely now.

“Thank you, HPH” (?)

Thank you R. S-S more like. I am 100% certain Harry knew nothing about Bradda Sam until I mentioned him on here and even when further clever cryptic clues came in from Nigel I doubt he was any the wiser.

I am surprised at you Fedup after the entertaining journey we have had on here. All the ups and downs both being a part of the trio of Stooges and its: “Thank you, HPH.”

I bet HPH actually thought Bill Clinton was born in Hope. Well he was actually: Hope, Arkansas, USA.

“Thank you, HPH.” (?)

Well I’ll go to the foot of our stairs.

Set the record straight please Harry.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#20 Posted : 04 August 2009 19:13:08(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I would set the record straight but mine are all CD's.