logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#41 Posted : 29 January 2011 10:36:27(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

It’s about 492 yards and my money would be on Tiger achieving it; cattle permitting.

Sorry RSS - He did not make it

RockBanker attached the following image(s):
Tiger.jpg
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
RockBanker  
#42 Posted : 04 February 2011 22:11:01(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

With the invaluable help of Neil Hardman, who regular readers of this column will recall was a member of the golf club in the 40’s and 50’s I have been attempting to map out the course as it was then, using features still visible on the ground and on various aerial photographs available on line. I have further been attempting to reconcile that course with the plan and yardages supplied by that pillar of the forum RSS, and the somewhat different set of yardages and presented by the equally respected Councillor Jon.

I have made a couple field trips (and am planning a further one in the spring) and spent many an hour with my electronic colouring pencils, measuring tools and calculator, and can now present my interim report.

The course described by Neil is shown (to the best of my ability) in yellow on the plan. For the most part it corresponds very well with the yardages given by the good councillor. Where there are variations I have given a possible explanation and indicated alternative hole routing in red.

The Dear Dear, West, View and Panorama holes of RSS’s course do not seem to fit into the course that Neil played, however there is strong evidence of these holes still to be seen. I have marked these holes in blue.

I have also slightly colour-enhanced any feature that I believe may be related to the golf course

As a note, the yardages given RSS are

1. Crest - 268 yards
2. Hope - 300 yards
3. Gulley - 192 yards
4. Dear
Dear - 152 yards
5. West - 273 yards
6. View - 316 yards
7. Panorama - 148 yards
8. Wood - 384 yards
9. Wall - 318 yards
10. Home - 231 yards

And the 11 hole Jon Goldfinch Course:

1          290
2          110
3          282
4          191
5          500
6          180
7          420
8          310
9          314
10        284
11        102

The measured yardages I quote are taken directly from the aerial photograph using the scale shown, and are thus planar rather than ground measurements, and thus will not take into account increased ground distance due to slopes, hills and valleys. This is unlikely to be a major source of difference though.

Hole 1. The Crest (RSS 268 yds JG 290 yds) Par 4

Nature has drawn a veil over the 1st hole, which, alas I could not penetrate. However there is a consensus that it ran west from the clubhouse in approximately the area indicated by the yellow lozenge.

Hole2. (JG 110 yds) Par 3

This hole is missing from RSS’s course, but is clearly visible, both on the ground and on the aerial view. Its length as calculated from the aerial view is a pleasing 110.6 yds

Hole 3. Hope (RSS 300yds, JG 282yds) Par 4

Tee and green are clearly visible. Calculated distance 287yds

Hole 4. Gulley (RSS  192 Yds, JG 191 Yds) Par 3

The green is not clear from the aerial view, but is very obvious on the ground. From the tee by the wall by the 3rd hole, which Neil Hardman recalls as being the only one in play at the time, the calculated length is 176 yards, noticeably shorter than expected, so here I am going to play my first Joker, and hypothesise that the tee of the West Hole was perhaps used as a back tee for this hole on occasions, something that had fallen out of use when Neil was a member. This would give a calculated length of 192 yards.
Now come two holes on RSS’s course that seem to have been merged into one longer hole.

Hole 5(a) Dear Dear (RSS 152 Yds) Par 3

The green, out of use in the 40’s, is clearly visible on the aerial view, and I calculate the hole to be 153 yards long.

Hole 5(b) West (RSS 273 Yds) Par 4

Now here I find myself at variance with RSS’s plan. I cannot see how you can get a hole of 273 yards into the line he has drawn. However, there is on the ground what appears to be the degraded remains of a tee to the north of the Hope hole (which I have already brought into action as my joker at the Gulley hole), and this is conveniently 273 yards from the remains of 5th green in the “complex”.
To return to the long 5th (or is it so long?)

Hole 5 (JG 500 Yds) Par 5

This is where the calculations go awry, as it only measures in at 440 yards, woefully short of the 500 yards as promised, even taking into account that it is played over a valley which may have increased the length of the hole if measured along the ground. Here I am tempted to play my second joker. Some of the land over the wall behind the 5th tee was once part of the course, land that was requisitioned during WW2 to be returned to agricultural production. On the ground, and just visible in the aerial view, are a number of what may have been tees, perhaps constructed as part of the Braid extension.  I am going to go out on a limb and say that perhaps there was a back tee for the 5th there.  This theory runs into a few problems – finding a tee at the appropriate distance that does not leave the player with an overly difficult carry across the gully – so I am going to leave the question open.

Next the holes in play when Neil was a member diverge somewhat from those given by RSS. Let’s deal with the former first.

Hole 6 (JG 180 Yds) Par 3

From the regular tee as shown I measure this hole as 167 yards – coming up a little short. Well, I’m going for the joker again and suggesting that perhaps the left-hand side of the 3rd tee could have been used as a back tee, which measures in at 182 yards.

Hole 7 (JG 420 Yds) Par 4

I am not precisely sure of the location of the 7th green. Examination of the Google aerial view shows a promising looking rectangle close to the wall, and this is what I have chosen. I did not closely examine this area when on my field trip – I will have to return.
The hole measures in at around 365 yards, again much shorter than the yardage suggested by the good councillor. However, over the fence in the far field, lost to wartime agriculture are the clear remains of another green.  I measure 410 yards from the 7th tee to this green.

Now to return to RSS’s routing.

View (RSS 316 Yds) Par 4.

I guess that this hole had the same green as the 7th. Finding an appropriate tee was difficult, and I only examined this part of the course from the road, so my suggested routing is rather a stab in the dark

Panorama (RSS 148 Yds) Par 3

RSS’s plan puts the tee for this hole to the right of the fairway of the View hole. This may well be correct, but If I have placed View’s green correctly, this would seem to necessitate playing directly over that green to get to the far field. Not impossible, but I suggest that the tee might have been further to the left. Again, this was not an area I examined in great detail on the ground so I have absolutely no evidence either way.

And all back together again

Hole 8. Wood (RSS 384 JG 314) Par 4

We are on much more solid ground here. The tee complex and the green of this hole are very well defined. In fact the tees in the far field area are probably the best preserved on the course. Neil’s hole, played from the near side of the wall measures in at around 312 yards, and RSS’s hole, measured from one of the tees in the far field is a respectable 385 yards, corresponding very happily with JG’s and RSS’s yardages.

Hole 9. Wall (RSS 318 JG 314)

Well, what is 4 yards between friends? Again, very well defined tee and green complexes and a measured length of 313 yards.

Hole 10. Home (RSS 231 JG 284) Par 4

The tees for this hole are well defined, just over the wall from the track down from the fly tip lay-by. By extending a line of 284 yards I hit upon what looks like a very likely feature at the bottom of the lawns of the old Golf House. As for the RSS hole some 50 yards shorter, my best guess is that there is a previous set of tees lost somewhere in the undergrowth.

Hole 11. Home Again? (JG 102) Par 3

We end as we begin – with a hole whose features are lost from view, so I have marked the approximate area that Neil indicated.

Edited by user 04 February 2011 22:40:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
wbgc.jpg (745kb) downloaded 77 time(s).

RockBanker  
#43 Posted : 05 February 2011 06:52:29(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

A few snaps from my recent field trip.

From top to bottom

(1) 3rd green, 4th tee, Dear Dear green and degraded West tee

(2) Looking from the 5th green back to the distant tees in the spinney on the far side of the course

(3) A view down the gully that cuts across the course, in which Tiger came to grief.  A formidable obstacle

(4) The Panorama  green in the far field, with the club house in the distance.

(5) Possibly one of the tees in the far field that could have been part of the 'Braid Extension'

(6) The view from near the Panorama  green

(7) More tees in the far field. Back tees for the 8th or part of the  'Braid Extension'?

(8) 8th hole from the tee

(9) Approach to the 8th green

(10) 9th tees

(11) 9th hole from tee

Edited by user 05 February 2011 07:45:14(UTC)  | Reason: Index pictures

RockBanker attached the following image(s):
Small_3rd Green 4th Tee Dear Dear Green and degraded West Tee.JPG
Small 5th green with the tees in distant bushes.jpg
Small the Gully across the course - a formidable obstacle.JPG
Small Panorama Green with clubhouse in distance.JPG
Small possible Braid extension tee in far field.JPG
Small view from neat 8th tee area with Panorama green.JPG
Small Back tees of the 8th in far field or possibly Braid extension tees.JPG
Small 8th Hole from tee.JPG
Small approach to the 8th green.JPG
Small 9th Tees.JPG
Small 9th Hole from tee.JPG

Neil Hardman  
#44 Posted : 07 February 2011 17:30:10(UTC)
Neil Hardman

Have been trying to find out more about the Braid connection, and am in correspondence with someone who is writing a book on Braid. He will keep me informed of any developments. He is also writing up a history of the Derbyshire Union of Golf Clubs, and he tells me that WBGC applied to join in 1937. However , later they decided to join the Cheshire Union. Probably because the members had more contacts with clubs in that Union.

Neil
Glevum227  
#45 Posted : 08 February 2011 16:00:44(UTC)
Glevum227

I am researching golf clubs which no longer exist, and hope to publish a book on the subject towards the end of the year. I have, already, information on the Whaley Bridge club, but don't have any pictorial accompaniment.
Would Mr Stephenson-Smythe allow me to use his aerial photograph of the layout of the course and the photograph of the clubhouse? I would afford acknowledgement in the book. I can be reached on alanjackson@blueyonder.co.uk

Alan Jackson
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#46 Posted : 08 February 2011 16:12:33(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Glevum227,

A rather strange name for an author methinks but then again there are a lot of strange people on here.

I’ll send you an email later on today or tomorrow afternoon and I’ll try to find out a little bit more information for you if I am able.

I did know all the holes by name and I think I have probably put them on this thread earlier on.

I have no idea what happened to any of the Golf Club’s trophies by the way.

Anything I can do to help I will.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#47 Posted : 10 February 2011 10:02:14(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I have no idea what happened to any of the Golf Club’s trophies by the way.

R. S-S

Now, that's twice you have denied all knowledge of the fate the trophies in this thread RSS. My suspicions are aroused. Would one of them have been about the size of a large wineglass with silver and gold mountings and an amber bowl? The "Shallcross Code" is in desperate need of more material.  

Neil Hardman  
#48 Posted : 10 February 2011 20:44:40(UTC)
Neil Hardman

My contact has visited Birmingham Library and consulted Golfers Handbook. His findings are as follows.
1933 9 holes 1935 10 holes 1937 11 holes and 150 members. He suggests with so few members they were only able to add a hole every so often.
Whether any more were built before the war we will only find out if we can consult slightly older golfers handbooks.

Neil
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#49 Posted : 20 February 2011 09:35:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Glevum227 wrote:
I am researching golf clubs which no longer exist, and hope to publish a book on the subject towards the end of the year. I have, already, information on the Whaley Bridge club, but don't have any pictorial accompaniment. Would Mr Stephenson-Smythe allow me to use his aerial photograph of the layout of the course and the photograph of the clubhouse? I would afford acknowledgement in the book. I can be reached on alanjackson@blueyonder.co.uk Alan Jackson

Hello and good morning, Alan,

Did you get my recent email that I sent to you with the information you asked for?
I am still a little unsure that my emails are getting through.
Could you either respond via email or on here please?

Funnily enough I bumped into a retired business man the other day and he was talking about Chapel Golf Club and I managed to nip in with the fact that we had a Golf Club in Whaley.

Not only did he know he went to the closing down auction at the Clubhouse.

Not only did he go to the auction he bought all the mahogany tables; five of them, 4ft x 6ft with very thick solid tops and the most magnificent carved legs.
He paid half a crown each for them.

He couldn’t remember the date or even the year of the sale.

I did ask him about the Club Trophies but he could not recall seeing any on the day.

I’m sure somebody knows what happened to them.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#50 Posted : 14 May 2011 12:43:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Don’t mention it (well he didn’t).

Why do people come on and ask for information and then when someone tries to help they are completely ignored?

R. S-S

Lady Madonna  
#51 Posted : 15 August 2011 02:12:03(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi RSS & Neil Hardman (if still looking),
I Knew Mr. Ashworth but did not know he was a Golf Professioal at Whaley Bridge, however I would like to find out about Tom Stenson who I have been told was also a Professional at Whaley Golf Club until it closed. How true this is I am not sure but he had at least 2 brothers who were also Pro.Golfers, 1- Joseph Frederick played at Ashbourne, Bradford Moor & Woodhall Hills up until the 1940's approx, I would appreciate any information if anyone has any.
Thanks Lady M.
RockBanker  
#52 Posted : 29 September 2012 22:31:14(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

RockBanker  
#53 Posted : 30 September 2012 20:42:21(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I have been contacted by the compilers of the http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk website. They are very keen to reproduce some of the information posted here (with acknowledgements) on their website. I have told them that they can use anything that I have posted. I am asking on their behalf if other contributers to the forum have any objections to their contributions being so used.

JonG  
#54 Posted : 30 September 2012 21:30:04(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

no problem from me.

Cheers

jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
parabuild  
#55 Posted : 30 September 2012 22:56:59(UTC)
parabuild

Man

My contributions were only newspaper cuttings. These are held in copyright either by the newspapers concerned or by the archive owners. Anything else that I might publish on the Forum is otherwise free for anybody to use.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#56 Posted : 01 October 2012 09:36:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Certainly no problem from me, RockBanker.
R. S-S

John and Marie Llewellyn  
#57 Posted : 01 October 2012 19:18:32(UTC)
John and Marie Llewellyn

Thank you all for your help and for giving us permission to add some of the information and pictures to the Golf's Missing Links website www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk

I hope to include the additions to the website in the next couple of days.

Please let us know if you would like us to make any amendments to the Whaley Bridge entry.

RockBanker  
#58 Posted : 05 October 2012 21:20:03(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

The Whaley Bridge Golf Club article on the 'Missing Links' website has been updated:

http:///8ntdvn6

I am interested about the former Moorside Golf Club whose clubhouse seems to have been incorporated into the Moorside Hotel:

http:///99jy2uv

Is there anyone out there who has any memories or further information about this club?

Cheers

RB

Edited by user 05 October 2012 21:24:36(UTC)  | Reason: Condense URLs