logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob Bowker  
#1 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:58:22(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Groups: Member

I was browsing in the village Coop the other day and picked up (and put back)  some sponge puddings that were made in New Zealand. Don't tell me that there is not a manufacturer in this country that could produce this product. Buxton Spa Bakery for a start.

I find it quite hypocritical when I go in a supermarket and they get all moody if you want a carrier bag and yet will ship numerous products unnecessarily from all over the world creating massive carbon footprints.  By adopting their 'green' approach and even charging for carriers, they save themselves millions of pounds a month.

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2009 11:52:48(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Bob,

This sort of thing happens everywhere, a few years ago I was in a tiny shop in Chile, ( long before the old legs packed in and the prostate trouble started), there you could  Swizzels Love Hearts.

Edited by user 19 September 2009 17:25:22(UTC)  | Reason: Accept humour but considered inappropriate language for younger readers of this forum.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2009 12:48:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Charming!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2009 13:37:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

As you all know I am against censorship on this forum by the moderator. This I believe is the thin edge of the wedge and our contributions may start to disappear before any one has the chance to read them. I have had my own posts removed in the past. However in certain cases I believe the moderator's actions to be justified.

The opening page to the forum has a few guidelines which we are asked to follow. That is fair enough.
There is no message stating that you might encounter bad language or sexual innuendo and it would therefore be an inappropriate for people under 18 to see.

I personally alerted the moderator to the above disgraceful post and it has been edited accordingly. So if anyone wants to have a go at anyone on censorship matters then I should be the target not the moderator or Councillor Jon Goldfinch.

Personally I would have removed the whole post bearing in mind what happened to a great contributor on here, Jake Walsh, only two weeks ago. I view that sort of post as one of the worst to be put on here and the author ought to apologise for it. It was not only unfunny it was highly distasteful.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2009 14:31:47(UTC)
G. Jackson

The last thing I would ever want to do is upset anyone. I am very,  very sorry that what I thought was mildly funny was taken so badly. I will continue to read on the forums but I  am henceforth hanging up my right index finger.I will miss the banter but I am still reading. Again I am really sorry.

CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2009 15:06:45(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Mr Jackson,

If you wish to stop posting, then that is up to you, but it would be a shame. The edit I made was not intended to deter you from posting.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 19 September 2009 15:18:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I would echo those sentiments Jon.

We need all the contributors we can get. But remember this is a public forum and can be read by anyone.

Once again Mr Jackson you should continue to post and I am sure your apology is accepted by everyone. Please remove the remainder of the post yourself and then welcome back.

And to everyone else do not start on Jon Goldfinch; he has done nothing, on this occasion, for personal reasons.

R. S-S
Dora Gibson  
#8 Posted : 21 September 2009 01:23:17(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Oh grow up R. S-S! It's people like you that make this country a silly, stupid place to be. Get a life! This is from someone who finds Mr Jackson a trifle obnoxious, but at least he has something interesting to say. As for you, The RSS Enterprise, your life is in the past with all your photographs. I bet you bore people to tears, make a glass eye go to sleep and as interesting as watching paint dry.

Go on................. tell us a joke to show us you have humour, let alone a sense of......? Dora
silversurfer  
#9 Posted : 21 September 2009 17:14:41(UTC)
silversurfer

OLD BO JANGLES CAN ONLY DISH IT OUT,WHAT A PATHETIC CRY BABY YOU ARE R.S.S....

snowy  
#10 Posted : 22 September 2009 09:34:32(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Getting back to the original topic, it's not just food, but clothes, shoes, electronic goods, cars, you name it. They are loaded on ships and carried half way round the world, all the time causing pollution and global warming. It's unbelievable that it's cheaper to do this than to produce goods near where they are sold.

Maybe it's because the price of transport doesn't reflect its true environmental cost. Not sure what we can do about it though. We can't just limit ourselves to local products. At any rate, no-one wants to.

On the other hand, you see bottled Buxton water all over Europe, at least, so it's not just one way traffic. Not sure if it gets as far afield as the Love Hearts though.

Re Jake, I didn't know him but he seems to have been one of the good guys. Belated condolences to all his family and friends.

Re G Jackson please keep the films coming if you have any more.

Dora Gibson  
#11 Posted : 23 September 2009 21:58:10(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear Snowy, you definitely need a HAPPY PILL. The world is a happy place and you need to have a good time.............. maybe you should come round for a cup of tea and a piece of home-baked cake too (Gibson says............... to chill you out!) Anyway, take good care of yourself. Your friend, Mrs Dora Gibson
snowy  
#12 Posted : 24 September 2009 08:04:30(UTC)
snowy

Thank you for your kind offer Ms Gibson.

Unfortunately it may be some time before I can take you up on it, but you made me feel better already.

parabuild  
#13 Posted : 24 September 2009 08:22:10(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I should be careful Snowy. It sounds as if Gibson might be adding something herbal to the baking recipes.

snowy  
#14 Posted : 24 September 2009 09:40:12(UTC)
snowy

Thanks for the warning parabuild.

I thought Dora meant that it was a baked Alaska sponge.

http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/baked-alaska-recipes.html

Dora Gibson  
#15 Posted : 24 September 2009 23:45:12(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Oh Parabuild, you're getting that minxy touch again........ However, I appreciate what you say about my lethargic son and heir and his strange doings.

Snowy, there is no need to beware as I do not let Gibson anywhere near my cakes as he is tubby enough already and spends most of his time asleep on the couch, or making a noisy din on his Fender, or.......... at his numerous bike rallies. So much for making the most of his inheritance from his grandfather.

Talking of food, does anyone remember Mrs Bradbury? She made the best baked custards ever!!!! Poor woman lost her son John who was only in his 20's when he was killed on his motorbike on Long Hill. Ahhhhhhhh yes, Long Hill, how that stretch of road has claimed numerous lives, but my heart always goes out to poor, old Mrs Bradbury.
snowy  
#16 Posted : 25 September 2009 08:32:01(UTC)
snowy

I'm sure Dora puts only locally produced ingredients in her cakes.

RockBanker  
#17 Posted : 25 September 2009 10:00:21(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Anyone know a good recipe for Cormorant? I believe that a local source might be available soon.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
snowy  
#18 Posted : 25 September 2009 10:45:41(UTC)
snowy

parabuild  
#19 Posted : 25 September 2009 11:38:41(UTC)
parabuild

Man

And another delicacy, locally sourced :

PELICAN PIETY
The perfect recipe for tough cuts of meat, ie. anything off a Pelican, not suitable for other dishes. I wouldn't recommend tackling this recipe unless you are feeling particularly fit as Pelicans are notoriously difficult to catch. Your best chance is to wait till the end of a feast and wave a teatowel just outside the kitchen door.

Cut meat from the bone. Pick over carcass for all edible bits of meat- there won't be much. Mince or chop what you do find thoroughly. Put a tablespoon of lard (renderings from a Baron or Baroness are best) to melt in a medium saucepan. Chop an onion finely and fry in the lard til golden. Stir in a tablespoon of flour and at least 500g of the meat. Cook until the Pelican mince takes a little colour then add 600ml of chicken or beef stock and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. You might like to add some sweet white wine if the Pelican of your choice was especially bitter or not from Politarchopolis. Chop some parsley and stir in a tablespoon worth. When the gravy is quite thick pour into a gratin dish and cover with thick layer of pastry. Preheat the oven to 180C. Paint the pastry with a little butter and put the pie into the oven for 20 minutes. Best served with boiled root vegetables.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 25 September 2009 13:08:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hang on a minute is this another deliberate attempt to further upset Peter?

Shame on you.

R. S-S