logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frederick  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2009 10:03:49(UTC)

Groups: Guest

A very appreciative thanks for your most kind welcoming Whaley Bridge Forum Members,

I do prefer Frederick as Fred sounds like a dowager maiden aunt's cat, and Freddy reminds me of a thespian actor who is very full of himself.

Please please tell me about Tommy Dodd's twist, it sounded fantastic whatever it was!

I have seen on one of  the photographs on this website a round building at the bottom of the steps coming from Reservoir Road, as my great Uncle is now no longer with us, and he was the font of much knowledge about his beloved Whaley Bridge, I should very much like to know what this round wall was?

Could it have been to do with the railway perhaps?

High Peak Harry  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2009 17:34:59(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Groups: Member

I will hazard a guess at it being a small glass of beer. It is a term used in Australia and New Zealand at the turn of the last century. Or am I totally wrong?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 18 August 2009 17:42:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Indeed you are, Harry.

Stick to what you know best: fish and chips.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2009 00:43:54(UTC)
G. Jackson

Tommy Dodd was available at Mr. Goldings shop (now a low class cafe but up three steps) Mr.Golding was famous for cutting caramels in half to make the required weight during rationing. He went on to be a milk delivery man for the Whaley Bridge and Buxton Coop service. His final delivery was in Furness Vale (just past where the new chippy is).Has anyone noticed how I'm trying to connect various sites on the forum. Like a spiders web--------who am I trying to catch?
frederick  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2009 10:53:39(UTC)

Having just returned from a weeks holiday staying with my daughter in Hampshire I am avidly catching up with you all. Mr Jackson's comment on Tommy Golding was cruel and upsetting, as Tommy was killed at Furness Vale delivering milk early one morning. Does Mr Jackson want to issue an apology?
G. Jackson  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2009 14:48:56(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Frederick, The last thing I would do in this world would be to upset anyone. As far as I can remember Tommy didn't have any relatives and as it was so long ago I presumed most of his friends would have by now joined him. He was a decent fellow and could be easily recognised in the dark by the partly smoked Park Drive in his lips. Perhaps the driver of the car that hit him was colour blind.
frederick  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2009 15:34:35(UTC)

I see you have issued a partial apology sir, I will accept that and thank you.

The colour blind theory is of course a little far fetched.

Now then, you seem to know about where Tommy Dodd purchased his 'twist' from, so perhaps you would be happy to enlighten me.

Mr R S-S said he was going to ask the council if he could state what it was, but as yet so far there has been no mention of it. He is probably like me getting on in years and easily forgets.

So be a good chap and you spill the beans Mr J.
Yours
Frederick
Dora Gibson  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2009 22:26:42(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Tommy was a sweet man - enough said! Long live Tommy and his cruel TWIST!
frederick  
#9 Posted : 08 September 2009 07:33:51(UTC)

Hello Dora, A sweet man you say? Hmmm could the 'twist' have been such a thing?
Bartak  
#10 Posted : 08 September 2009 17:32:43(UTC)

Norrin Radd

frederick  
#11 Posted : 09 September 2009 15:49:37(UTC)

NORRIN RADD, please explain Bartak..............
Dora Gibson  
#12 Posted : 10 September 2009 22:54:08(UTC)
Dora Gibson

He twisted, rattled, shattled and shaked. What a mover, what a cruiser and a delight to the eye.....

Any idea about the strange cryptic clue above? Or does Barak have a stutter.... n...o.r...r....i...n... r....a....d....d... - and what does this spell and say of Bartak the Numbskull? .................... it spells, I D I O T O T I C T W E R P F A C E !
parabuild  
#13 Posted : 10 September 2009 23:57:47(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Norrin Radd, The Silver Surfer ?

Dora Gibson  
#14 Posted : 13 September 2009 22:20:37(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Poor, poor Parabuild, you appear to be afflicted with the Bartak virus. Take one paracetamol, a hot cup of of milk with a teaspoon of honey and go straight to bed! If you are not well by the morning, seek professional advice. Dora
Dora Gibson  
#15 Posted : 21 September 2009 01:43:12(UTC)
Dora Gibson

P.S. That isn't really a true likeness of you is it Parabuild????????????????????????????
parabuild  
#16 Posted : 21 September 2009 08:25:12(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Now then Dora, up late last night weren't you. You should have tried some OXO if you couldn't get to sleep.  Why don't you think  my picture is a very good likeness ?

Edited by user 21 September 2009 11:00:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dora Gibson  
#17 Posted : 23 September 2009 21:21:34(UTC)
Dora Gibson

As you know Parabuild, your concoction made me throw up on my dear, beloved cat, so of course, I can't sleep and am awake well into the night and get up late in the morning. That's old age for you my lad. I asked about the likeness, because I haven't seen such a handsome chappy around Whaley, Furness or anywhere else for that matter and wondered if you were REAL - are you for REAL Mr Parabuild? ..... and by-the-way, why do you call yourself Parabuild? Do you built owt?
parabuild  
#18 Posted : 24 September 2009 09:29:35(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Dear Mrs Gibson

I do like compliments, especially when I am more accustomed to being called a twerp.  Of course I am real Dora, Parabuild is just part of my e mail address. Now if you were to wake Gibson and put your heads together, you would find that almost all there is to know about me can be accessed through this very forum.

Returning to the original subject of this thread, I wonder if anybody will yet reveal what "Tommy Dodd's Twist" was.  Could it have been smoked, perhaps in a clay pipe or chewed by coal miners ?  Who though, was Tommy Dodd ?

Edited by user 24 September 2009 09:30:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 24 September 2009 12:26:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Parabuild,

You are still not keeping up.

Look in the thread entitled ‘Mr Donaldson’ on the General Discussion board.

Smoking indeed. It was given to schoolchildren by the headmaster for goodness sake.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#20 Posted : 24 September 2009 18:33:55(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Oh dear, again my knuckles have been soundly rapped.  I will try to sit up and pay attention but occassionally I just drift off and miss things. The content of these wonderful "twists" has however, still not been revealed. Does nobody know the secret recipe for me to try out at my kitchen stove or is it to remain one of the unsolved mysteries of this forum ?