logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Imanust  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2009 18:25:48(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Reading the Buxton Advertiser today it seems the residents down that side of Whaley Bridge had quite a eventful afternoon last Friday just past 12pm with an apparent natural gas explosion causing some damage.

However looking deeper into it, it seems a bit over the top to send appliances from Buxton to assist in this incident, not to mention the fact they had to shut off electricity supplies aswell as cars being damaged in the explosion (funny how ive not heard a thing about this), yet theres no crater in the road, no shop windows damaged and nobody (given the time of day) passing by was injured.

Was this simply a natural gas explosion or something more sinster? a False Flag Event perhaps to test the reaction times of the local forces reaction times..maybe a local electricity mains exploded (hence the electricity blockout and media silence)..they dont want us to know theres shoddy cabling under our feet.

Whatever happened, its quite odd indeed.

tyke  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2009 08:05:07(UTC)
tyke

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
There is (was) a hole just on Macc Road seemingly to do with the electric company, maybe that was it??
Imanust  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2009 12:14:06(UTC)

Bingo, thanks for the reply. Just as I suspected..Theres been another incident like this where cabling has exploded (though off the top off my head I cant remember where it was), but it wasnt too long ago. Also remember the infamous London blackout where a similar thing happened just after 7/7.

Quite convenient to blame it on natural gas which only occurs near or under oil fields I believe, nothing of which is around here seeing that the village is built upon Sedimentary rock such as Sandstone and Grit, theres one or two Mine shafts where Workers tried to find Coal Veins but to my knowledge the only Vein that was ever large enough was the Mine up at the Goyt Valley to support the Errwood Hall staff.

It makes you think after the Electrical blackouts PRIOR to this Electrical cable going, just whats going on to our Electric system. I understand they were introducing a scheme to measure how much electric people were using in their homes and then fine them if their emissions were too much, maybe this is the start of that initiative going on right under our noses? what next...meters being installed in our homes without our knowledge.

Edited by user 23 August 2009 15:30:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Over the hill but not far away  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2009 20:21:16(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Hi

I was on the scene at the time, it was 11.49, I am quite sure of this as there is a purveyor of clocks at this very junction and I always check my pocket watch before entering the bank.

An  inspection cover on the pavement opposite Coleman's butchers blew off with a loud bang and flew about roof top height , it clattered to the ground, the sound revealing it's composite material construction

Lots of black smoke, flames about a yard high came from the hole accompanied by much electrical fizzing and crackling - seeing no one wearing a black tea towel as head gear in the vicinity and after checking with the Chinese take away that  it was not a premature celebration of the Chinese new year  it was  safe to assume that this was merely an electrical fire which had caused a build up of subterrainial pressure.

The fire service were summond  but the fire had extinguished itself by the  time the local appliance had arrived on the scene.  There was obviously a possibility of a gas explosion so a second pump may have been needed and to close the road did not seem a disproportionate response.  The major inconvenience was to the butcher who's meat was no longer being cooled by the refigerator, myself, who now had to carry the days takings over Disley tops (and we all know what happened there).  And to the Llama on Elnor lane who had to cope with the diverted carriages

Cheers

Edited by user 23 August 2009 23:15:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Imanust  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2009 02:01:27(UTC)

Which begs the question (many thanks for the excellent replies btw), why the dis-information by the Buxton Advertiser to mis-lead the residents of Whaley Bridge and of the Peak District? Surely after a week of this happening you'd think the reporter typing this up would have finalised the story by asking what ACTUALLY happened, all it would have took was a simple phonecall to Buxton/Whaley fire crews.

Not only is it shoddy reporting but also mis-leads people into thinking there not safe anywhere in the village if they assume that theres now mythical natural gas now appearing under our feet, thumbs down to the Buxton Advertiser (yet again) from me.

tyke  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2009 07:35:41(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Methinks the paper is having delusions of grandeur and trying to copy another well known daily paper famous for its inflated headlines and scaremongering. Best not mention its name here as the forum police might take offence but it has something in its name similar to "post" Maybe nothing else really happened and they just had to fill the paper! In a way a comforting thought about where we live.

RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 24 August 2009 12:49:57(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Contrary to Imanust's beliefs, the whole area is riddled with old coal mine workings, many of which date back long before the 1872 act that required accurate plans to be maintained and deposited with the appropriate government agency. I do not know if the seams mined around Whaley were partcularly prone to firedamp, but a buildup of methane in the ground is not unexpected in a coal mining area.

See

http://www.coal.gov.uk/publications/miningtechnology/coalmineandbedmethane.cfm

And also

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/downloads/start.cfm?id=219

Edited by user 24 August 2009 17:52:28(UTC)  | Reason: Add link to coal authority

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 24 August 2009 13:58:47(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello RB,

If you drive over to Bollington you pass through the Old Brickyard and come to the Pott Shrigley junction. Here you can bear left into Bollington or turn right towards Adlington. At this junction there is an old gas lamp on the pavement and the flame is always lit. It is known locally as the Everlasting Flame.

I think this may run off methane or sewer gasses. Anybody know any more about it?

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2009 14:02:55(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Gosh RSS - thank you for that. I have driven that road many times and never noticed the lamp - I'll have to check it out on my way home this evening. Any news on the round building on Wharf Road, or are you still keeping us in suspense?

Cheers

RB

RockBanker  
#10 Posted : 25 August 2009 10:28:38(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I think we are missing some opportunities here to market Whaley Bridge. "Life's a gas in Whaley Bridge" or "Whaley Bridge - Where Fridays go with a bang". I was also thinking about making some comments about ancient relics venting gas, but that would be most uncalled for.

On a serious note, pehaps Cllr Jon, if he is reading this, can let us know if the town council will be receiving a report from the emergency services about this incident. I feel that it is important that we know what was the cause of the explosion, and, if coalfield gas is suspected, that the Coal Authority have been informed and will be doing an investigation.

Edited by user 25 August 2009 12:08:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 25 August 2009 13:19:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good afternoon to you RB,

How is this splendid weather suiting you?

Did you manage to have a look at The Everlasting Flame or Eternal Light at Pott Shrigley?

Where does the energy come from and who pays the utility bill?

I can’t imagine anyone in these credit crunching times paying to light a street corner day and night for year after year so I think it is free but where does the gas come from?
Surely not piped from Horwich End.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#12 Posted : 25 August 2009 13:32:33(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

And a good afternoon to you R S-S.

The weather is indeed splendid, and I hope it lasts until this evening when I wil get a proper chance to enjoy it. Alas I had to postpone my trip to Pott Shrigley last night, as domestic chores took priority. I'm hoping to head over there on Friday afternoon with my camera, and will report later.

RockBanker  
#13 Posted : 25 August 2009 17:03:25(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Where does the energy come from and who pays the utility bill?

Of course, being in Cheshire it may just be a case of "We can afford it and we want everyone to know we can"

Gnatalee  
#14 Posted : 25 August 2009 18:36:42(UTC)
Gnatalee

Of course, being in Cheshire it may just be a case of "We can afford it and we want everyone to know we can"

Hi RB

I enjoyed your post, but as a Cheshire resident I can assure you that not everyone in Cheshire can "afford it and wants everyone to know we can" .

There are some very rich people in Cheshire - I agree - (I know a few)  but not ALL Cheshire is in the same boat .  In relation to where I live in Cheshire,  your house prices are unbelievable (at least £20,000-30,000 higher for equivalent) - which I am sure is due to the rail link to Stockport/Manchester and the easy access by road to the same area.  I must admit, if I worked Stockport/Manchester area, the likes of Whaley would be very tempting - what a very beautiful place to come home to. 

Don't think I am being "cobby" about this  - just wanted to set the stereotype of Cheshire "straight". !

Gnats

RockBanker  
#15 Posted : 26 August 2009 09:27:29(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Hi Gnats,

Point taken. However, I do not know if you have come across the website 'Up My Street'. This gives a summary of many statistics about a neighbourhood, including it's classification by marketing types.

Here is what it has to say about Pott Shrigley, home of the aforementioned gaslamp

http://www.upmystreet.co...ghbours-in-sk10-5rs.html

Here is what it has to say about Rock Bank

http://www.upmystreet.co...ghbours-in-sk23-7le.html

I'm not sure that either description can be considered strictly accurate.

RockBanker  
#16 Posted : 01 September 2009 13:54:54(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

To return to the original thread, discussing the explosion that happened at Horwich End, I wonder if anyone knows if the Town Council have received any report on the incident, and if there are any ongoing investigations as to its cause?

CllrJonG  
#17 Posted : 01 September 2009 17:06:47(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi RockBanker,

I will see if I can find out what actually went on and get back to this forum.

There is quite a bit of digging going on at the location of the 'explosion'.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
RockBanker  
#18 Posted : 01 September 2009 17:10:07(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks Jon.

Hope you enjoyed your break.

CllrJonG  
#19 Posted : 01 September 2009 17:18:25(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

News travels fast in Whaley ! 

Yes I did thanks. - Nothing quite beats midges and rain in the Isle of Mull. Fortunately , only one of these was present while sea fishing from a boat in Calgary bay, and there were plenty of fish.

Very relaxing.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
lord cornflake  
#20 Posted : 02 September 2009 09:43:47(UTC)
lord cornflake

I saw the everlasting flame  yesterday afternoon,it had a almost green tinge to it.Could it be run from marsh gas?.