logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2009 15:25:14(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

It is with much sadness that we have to announce that Cllr Jake Walsh passed away peacefully in his sleep last night, after an illness borne with tremendous dignity and strength. Jake recently let people know via the forum that he was terminally ill, but the suddenness of his death was a great shock to us all.

Our thoughts are very much with his wife and family.

Jakes services to the council and community will be greatly missed, as will be his many humorous and serious contributions to this forum and the last. He was a man of great integrity, and fought tirelessly on behalf of Whaley Bridge.

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2009 16:09:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you for breaking the news Jon,

I had heard earlier in the day and telephoned Stephanie to see what arrangements were being made to announce the terrible news.

This is the second time in a matter of a few months that a forum stalwart has left us.

I knew neither but was ‘friendly’ with both. To say I am upset today is an understatement.

I am so upset I really am stuck for words. But I must have a go for your sake Jake.

On the old forum a few of us were having a laugh at Jake’s expense and I perceived it that we were sort of ganging up on him so I sent him a private email just to see if he thought we were going over the top.
He would hear none of it; in fact he liked it. Of course I had given him my email address and from that day every week I have had an email from him.
One day he wrote and told me he had an illness and could he talk to me about it. Of course I agreed and it quickly became apparent to me that he was suffering greatly. The emails got more and more frequent as time went by and at times they were difficult to read.
But he never ever lost his great sense of humour.
I never met him but he was a great friend. I, of course, told him who I was and offered to meet him for a drink or anything really but he preferred to just speak to me as R. S-S.

I will really miss you, Jake.

I hope you got as much pleasure talking to me as I did from talking to you. You were a top bloke in my opinion.

All our thoughts now go out to your family.

Jake, I have saved every one of your emails and in due course I shall pass them on to your family. I think you would want that.

R I P Mate.

R. S-S

Web Watcher  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2009 17:27:36(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It is a very sad day for Whaley Bridge and more especially the users of this "Forum" who have been entertained Cllr Jake Walsh frequently.
My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time, and I'm sure all users of the "Forum" will feel the same
Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2009 17:28:54(UTC)
Gnatalee

I too was very sorry to hear the sad news about Cllr Jake.

I don't live in Whaley and only know of him through this forum but I have always enjoyed the "banter" which takes place on here and Jake was a main contributor to the humour (I particularly liked the picture with the hat !).

I was fortunate to speak to Jake a few months ago on the phone when he kindly offered to pass on the photos which R.S-S had taken of my Great Uncle's war grave in France. He was a fellow scouser and knew the area where I now live. We spoke of my connections with Whaley and found he knew well some of my relatives still living in Whaley. At this time I did not know he was seriously ill.

My thoughts (and those of my family) are with Jake's family at this sad time.

With deepest sympathy
Jackie

Edited by user 01 September 2009 17:32:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2009 18:22:07(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I didn't meet the gentleman, but from those that knew him I gather he was a decent fellow. It puts into perspective recent 'discussions' on here. There are more important things to be concerned about, I have lost quite a few friends in the last two years (including one last week), only one of whom reached 50, so unfortunately I speak from experience.

May he rest in peace.

frederick  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2009 19:52:03(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I didn't know Jake myself, but the warmth and witty banter on this Forum is massive towards him, that speaks volumes. RIP Mr Walsh.
Techy  
#7 Posted : 01 September 2009 21:27:50(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Having lost two people very close to me to this vicious desease, my thoughts and sympathy go to Jake's family at this difficult time.

The phrase 'time is a healer' is a well known phrase but slightly wrong, the pain and loss is never healed but it does get easier to live with.

R.I.P Jake you will be missed by all.

Fedup  
#8 Posted : 01 September 2009 21:36:24(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

This is awful news, and my heart goes out to his family.

I was talking to Jake not two weeks ago (I don't think he knew I was Fedup!) and although in pain, he was still cheerful and fighting on.

I actually did know Jake from some years ago, when our paths would cross in the local Whaley watering holes. He was always an amusing and interesting companion.

This has upset me tremendously.

Whaley Bridge has lost a good friend.

Edited by user 01 September 2009 21:37:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified