logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lord cornflake  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2009 13:16:57(UTC)
lord cornflake

Groups: Member

As somebody stated on here recently The White Hart was full to bursting last week for Turtle Zed.Last night i went to the White Horse to see One Eyed Pete and they were very good but there was only a handful of people there.So if anybody is interested Cotch is putting bands on friday nights,so go along and have a look,because if we dont support the pubs when the bands are on there will be no more live music as the pubs wont find it profitable.If a pub can be busy one week surely it could be busy te week after.

wily  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2009 13:41:08(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Have you ever thought some people don't want to see live bands EVERY week. I wasn't at the Turtles gig last week but I have been told that although the performance was riddled with mistakes there were lots of people there and a good time was had by all. I personally think the White Horse is a poor venue for live bands as the pub's not big enough. The same can be said of the Board, Sheps, Goyt and Navi. I will be at the Cock tonight to see Pyjama Factory. Four quality musicians playing at a venue which is suited to live music.

lord cornflake  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2009 23:15:55(UTC)
lord cornflake

I agree the pyjamas are certainly a talented outfit,but to say that The Cock is a good music venue is laughable.By making this statement you have shown a distinct lack of musical knowledge.

Dora Gibson  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2009 00:06:56(UTC)
Dora Gibson

What on earth are you two talking about? Gibson is laughing into his pint........ He reckons this is all make believe. He wants a Band Fest in Whaley......
nce  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2009 14:26:13(UTC)
nce

Now, here we go. Me and a couple of music loving friends in Goyt Valley Round Table (which raises money for LOCAL causes) are kicking about an idea to run a charity blues festival in Whaley (not jazz, because every sod does that). The format might be something like a ticketed afternoon event with some decent names and then a 'fringe' of jams in the pubs in the evening where anyone can play and the Round Table would rattle a few tins. Would anyone be interested in seeing something like that?

Edited by user 11 September 2009 15:48:10(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2009 15:18:34(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi NCE,

Can I suggest that you come along on Tuesday the 15th September (next week !), and discuss this in the context of the Whaley Bridge June Events as indicated below. It could work really well with this, and we may all be able to benefit from sharing the cost of public liability insurance and other costs.

Cheers

Jon

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
juneevents.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Dora Gibson  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2009 14:23:19(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear nce, what a wonderful suggestion, maybe we will have a Whaley Fest yet? I've got some bunting we could hang around the town..............bit old and tattered, but nothing that a bit of needlework couldn't put right.

Gibson says that he's 'up for it' as well - whatever that means (he won't tell me).

Dora Gibson
H  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2009 09:15:27(UTC)

Groups: Guest

a blues festival is a v. good idea.... but can we have several different bands and not just the usual one who takes over everything in local pubs and doesnt give anyone else a look in. And why not other kinds of music and showcase some of the younger bands in the area and not just the usual old codgers (no offence). The festival appears to cater for the very young and not the youth. In fact, it would be a good idea to try and get a few youth members on the commitee to ask their opinions and not the usual ones who stick to the safe , tombola and raffles and craft stalls

nce  
#9 Posted : 13 September 2009 10:04:45(UTC)
nce

H wrote:

a blues festival is a v. good idea.... but can we have several different bands and not just the usual one who takes over everything in local pubs and doesnt give anyone else a look in. And why not other kinds of music and showcase some of the younger bands in the area and not just the usual old codgers (no offence). The festival appears to cater for the very young and not the youth. In fact, it would be a good idea to try and get a few youth members on the commitee to ask their opinions and not the usual ones who stick to the safe , tombola and raffles and craft stalls

H,

All good points. The beauty of blues as a genre is that blues and rock are essentially the same thing. Oasis, for example, play blues. So does Velvet Revolver and any other number of popular rock bands. Not only that, blues scales are often among the first things taught to beginner guitarists, so the whole thing is very, very accessible.

The prime difficulty will be the main venue for the ticketed part of the event (if Round Table are involved, then this has to be structured to raise charity money), but I hope that can be overcome.

To allay fears over the 'same band' syndrome, the idea as it stands would be to have some sort of main event with five or six bands, then then disperse those bands and other local players among the pubs to seed audience-participation jam sessions. I have no idea if this would work and it would certainly need the support of the publicans etc. It may also be that it would not be practical to run it on exactly the same weekend as the water stuff just because a lot of the existing local bands book the venues on that date for obvious reasons.

Anyway, it's only an idea for now, and I need to call our Chairman to let him know that it's being discussed.

N.
Dora Gibson  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2009 22:45:53(UTC)
Dora Gibson

That's all a bit over my head. Do you really know what you're talking about and if so, can you put it into plain English for the oldies out here please?
nce  
#11 Posted : 14 September 2009 12:34:03(UTC)
nce

Dora Gibson wrote:
That's all a bit over my head. Do you really know what you're talking about and if so, can you put it into plain English for the oldies out here please?

I do know what I am talking about, you cheeky devil, Dora ;) . I will try to explain this for you.

1. Blues is the basis of most rock music. Rock music is the most popular genre of music on the planet.

2. A LOT of people like rock music irrespective of age and can threrfore get a kick out or hearing and playing blues music.

3. Blues is easy to play, so it is suited to jam sessions whereby a group of people with instruments can make it up as they go along - great in a pub environment.

4. Many people, kids and adults alike, who are learning the guitar, will be learning stuff that is at least derived from blues, therfore, you don't have to be a whiz to join in.

5. None of the nearby villages that do music festivals do blues - they all seem to do jazz, which is no good at all for the youth - they hate it.

Does that answer most of your questions, Dora?

N.

Over the hill but not far away  
#12 Posted : 14 September 2009 13:01:03(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Dora - be carefull we don't want Gibson getting too involved in this blues thingy-you may find him hanging around the Horwich End crossroads at midnight getting tuned which can be a devil to do by ear.
The last thing you want after a vist to the pet shop is to return home and find that you need to engage the services of a lock smith as your key will no longer fit the door and Gibson has gone over the hill....
Cheers

Oh and Jam sessions are not for selling your rather excellent preserves that I saw on your little stall at the Uniting Church hall farmers market

Edited by user 14 September 2009 13:02:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pete D  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2009 18:46:55(UTC)
Pete D

Firstly many thanks for your nice comments wily. I am in total support of this idea, I have organised many events in the past with many bands over the years in Ashbourne , Manchester and Ashton as well as Whaley. It's perfectly doable and a very good idea!!! It just requires a bit of ambition and some enthusiastic volunteers for the organisation!!
lord cornflake  
#14 Posted : 14 September 2009 18:50:29(UTC)
lord cornflake

I think this is a great idea,all i would say is in my humble opinion a blues and rock festival might be better,considering only a handful of local acts play blues.

Dora Gibson  
#15 Posted : 14 September 2009 21:09:25(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Hello nce, That was a splendiferous introduction to blues. You should know that from my American ancestors, this has been an inheritant part of my cultural upbringing which is why, I couldn't understand your initial intellectual banter. Perhaps because of my fore-fathers, this is why Gibson needed to call himself Gibson, who knows? I have always been told that I have pefect pitch however, I wouldn't be so bold as to sing a note these days, not with my wobbly legs, arms and head - I know when to call it a day.

Dear Over The Hill and Should Be Far Away, I don't think you are residing in the real world, you haven't been at the Meths by any chance? Locks, keys and jam..............mmmmmhh strange and not interesting or very intelligent I might add. Get a life and more carbohydrates down you....................... it surely can't make your condition any worse.....! A concerned Dora
nce  
#16 Posted : 15 September 2009 22:34:31(UTC)
nce

Dora, you sound like a lovely lady. Many thanks for reading my posts in an interested way. Look, if you can get Gibson to fall asleep on the sofa for more than twenty minutes, do give me a call and we can share a sly gin in the kitchen. I do hope that your advancing years have not addled your liver to the point that is cannot take a bit of what you fancy.
Dora Gibson  
#17 Posted : 16 September 2009 00:34:02(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear nce, or should that be nice? Thank you for flirting with an old lady, which does the heart and legs the world of good. I am interested in your posts because you seem to be the only sane person on this forum. I know I might sound flippent with several folk on here, but I have to say that they all sound more than a little ga ga to me.

My liver is very well and I take plenty of Milk Thistle, as I have always been interested in natural remedies. As for sly/sloe gin, I much prefer fortified port with a little extra something thrown in for good measure - I wonder if you can guess what that extra something is?????

When Gibson isn't making an awaful racket on one of his several guitars, he usually is fast asleep in front of the tv with some sort of inedible-looking fast food strewn across his chest. Not a pretty sight, I can tell you. I have to put up with him though as he keeps incarcerating me into a local, god-forsaken old folks home which I daren't name for fear of reprisals and as we know............................ the world is a very small place.

Anyway, keep up the good work and get a Whaley Fest organised. Remember, Dora was for it at the outset............................. Enjoy your gin!