logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2009 15:33:08(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Mr Jackson,

I found it very sad the way the Co-op Movment deteriorated it is only a shadow of it's former self. W.H.& B. Co-op was taken over by Manchester & Salford Co-op in 1968 which was later swallowed up by Norwest Co-op It later became part of another Society,I lost track of subsequent developments.

I am trying get information  on the establishing and developments of the W.B.& B. Co-op If anyone can supply any I would be interested. 

Thank you for introducing it you apparently know something of the old Co-op.Also thank you for the cine of the printworks chimney

george

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2009 16:03:43(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hello George, Yes I did work for the society but left in the late 50's-early 60's. After that I worked at  Britannia Wire Mill and stayed there until 1964 when I left and haven't worked since. I worked with Arthur Oldfield who was the son of the head teacher at Horwich End school. Also I was very friendly with Harry Wood and  whilst I worked there I went regularly to the cobblers in the garage yard, not every day, but most days. Little world isn't it? Now when school-children are naughty they send them on holidays but similar things happened then didn't they, fancy putting someone with a drink problem in charge of a wines and spirit shop!!!!!!!!

ALL ABOVE ARE TRUE FACTS. (tongue in cheek)

P.S. loved the picture from the bottom of the chimney.

Edited by user 17 September 2009 16:44:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2009 19:08:51(UTC)
george

Thank you Mr Jackson, do you know what year the Co-op garage was built behind the office block and also when Williamsons wheelwright building was demolished from immediately behind the office /shoe department? 

parabuild  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2009 20:56:36(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I have just found the attached auction item on the internet.  This sale by BBR Auctions took place in 2005 .Not a very good image I'm afraid

Edited by user 27 September 2009 20:59:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild attached the following image(s):
Image2.jpg
Image1.jpg
G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2009 08:59:01(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Parabuild,

I know I said I would hang up my typing finger and read only but I felt I had to reply to your latest post. I have a plate like the one you detailed. Also I have a large white handkerchief with the same print on it. Both are in first class condition.

parabuild  
#6 Posted : 28 September 2009 09:37:43(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Good morning Mr Jackson.  It's good to hear from you again.  I thought this item might interest you.

You must have seen this doorstep from the Buxton On Line web site.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
wbcsdoorstoop.jpg
curtaintwitcher  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2009 11:21:03(UTC)
curtaintwitcher

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The Bike Factory was once part of the Whaley Bridge Co/Op
I noticed last year when the Bike shop was having signs painted that the orriginal circa 1920 ish signs are still on the buiding underneath the Bike Factory signs.
G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 28 September 2009 17:29:13(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Parabuild,

The latest photograph is, I believe, in the doorway of G&T motors in Buxton. This shop used to be the butchers shop and next door was the grocery department. If I am correct not only have I walked across it many times but I have cursed dozens of  customers who muddied it after I had been on my hands and knees scrubbing it clean.

buggyite  
#9 Posted : 28 September 2009 17:55:12(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

As a complete newbie to this forum, can I just storm right in and remind people that  G&T Autospares mentioned above used to be a Horwich End business, located in the Haybottom row at the bottom of Macclesfield Road, which I thought was a nice way to bring the thread back to Whaley Bridge history.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
silversurfer  
#10 Posted : 28 September 2009 20:54:42(UTC)
silversurfer

THAT PLATE LOOKS FAMILIAR,EV ANDREW HAS ONE AND IM SURE THEIR IS A PICTURE OF A MAN LEADING A HORSE NR THE ARCH OR THROUGH IT..THATS HIS UNCLE,I WILL ASK HIM TO POST A PIC..SHOULD SEE HIM TOMORROW..

george  
#11 Posted : 29 September 2009 20:08:47(UTC)
george

Evening all

I have a plate also it was celebrating fifty years of Whaley Co-operative Society in 1910 and was commisioned by the Education Commitee. The photo of the shop doorway at Buxton is a puzzle, as far as I can make it out it belonged to the Whaley Bridge Co-operative Society Ltd.which pre-dates the Whaley Bridge and Buxton Co-operative Society Ltd. So why did and when did W.B. Co-op open a shop in Buxton? It was not the usual practice to poach on another society. In Chinley when both New Mills Co-op and W.B. Co-op were interested in opening a shop there the Co-operative Union (which was a union of all the Co-op Societies in England not a trades union)  was asked to mediate.

When did the W.B. and the Buxton Co-op merge? Anyone know?

george  

G. Jackson  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2012 19:36:10(UTC)
G. Jackson

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a co-op plate on ebay.

MarthaSamson  
#13 Posted : 09 February 2012 18:08:24(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

I hope you don't mind my asking, but what is the purpose of these cooperative societies? Is it an organization to support local businesses? I'm just wondering because I'd like to find a little more information about the Collier Bros. business, late 19th early 20th century.
Flannel  
#14 Posted : 09 February 2012 18:42:00(UTC)
Flannel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can't resist this:
see this link
http://bit.ly/xXI5YI

G. Jackson  
#15 Posted : 09 February 2012 18:54:40(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hi Martha,

The history of the cooperative movement can be found via Google and better described there than I could, possibly George may add something as he is our WB & Buxton Cooperative Society expert.

Very basically in about 1840 a man bought a hundredweight of oatmeal and started selling it in smaller bags to the general public at a reasonable price. This led to various merchants doing similar transactions ie. Buy in bulk sell to the public (is that what Tesco's does now???) These merchants combined to make a cooperative which spread over the country (and Europe). This happened in Scotland and the English cooperative started in Rochdale which is about 20 miles from Whaley

When the WB & Buxton society was in its heyday you could buy virtually anything and everything, from food to footwear, wine and spirits, a chemist's shop and even had  a funeral service.

G.J.

RockBanker  
#16 Posted : 09 February 2012 19:11:36(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

The thing that distinguishes Co-Ops from other businesses is that the profits are distributed back to the customers, to each in proportion to how much they spent. I still look forward to getting my Co-Op Divvie (Dividend).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-operative_Movement_(UK)

Edited by user 09 February 2012 19:13:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
MarthaSamson  
#17 Posted : 10 February 2012 03:56:28(UTC)
MarthaSamson

Woman
United States

Thanks, Flannel, loved the Google link. Made it very easy to enlighten myself on coops. What did we ever do without Google? For some odd reason these coops have never been successful over on this side of the pond. The best we can do is Walmart!
george  
#18 Posted : 16 February 2012 19:19:58(UTC)
george

Hello Martha,

You asked what is the purpose of Co-operative Societies?

I have been reading the link you posted Flannel.

I am attaching some notes I put together for a talk a few months ago based on information I remember when I was doing Co-operative courses through the Co-op College at Loughborough and more recent research from a variety of sources. This was fifty yours ago when the British Co-op Movment was at it's peak.

I think we need to bear in mind the conditions and poverty under which the poor lived or should I say existed.   

File Attachment(s):
Co-op on the forum amended.doc (23kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
ros  
#19 Posted : 19 February 2012 15:37:34(UTC)
ros

Hi George,

I have just inherited a fob watch which has the inscription "presented to R.W.Wight president of the whaley bridge & buxton cop-op on the openning of the Buxton Emporium 1934".

Could you please tell me anything you know about the gentleman & the emporium.

I think he could be my Aunt's grandfather. My aunts name was Joan Whinifred Wight & I believe her father was a school teacher. She had one brother.

Thank you for your help.
george  
#20 Posted : 19 February 2012 16:53:53(UTC)
george

Hi ros

I vaguely remember Bob Wright he was the president when I started working there in 1952 I think he might have lived in Bugswoth I also suspect he was a staunch member of thr labour party I may be able to find out more from an old friend if you wish. I guess the emporium at Buxton was at the bottom end of Spring Gardens on the right if you stand with your back to the arches. I worked there on Saturdays 1960 in the footear dept. also in the block was menswear and I cann't remember what else. I didn't know it was opened in 1934 thanks for that.

I have more information on thw W.H. & B. soc. perhaps to morrow. 

george