logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob Bowker  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2009 16:19:54(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Groups: Member

Good afternoon all

First off, I have only recently returned from being out of the country for over three weeks and was saddened to hear of the passing of our good friend Jake. Only met the chap once but that was enough to see that he was a good bloke and cared about Whaley and it's people. He made great contributions to this and the previous forum and will be sadly missed. Condolencies to his family and friends.  R.I.P. Jake

Secondly, I return to find that the Forum has degenerated into a not very pleasant site in much the same way that the prvious forum did with personal issues being aired and also frivolous replies being made to sensible postings. not least some potty person(?) who thinks that she is Mrs Merton and tends to want to monopolise the site. Don't bother replying Doris because I won't be reading it.

Our dear friend Jake would be appalled to know that our site has become so bitter and twisted. This sort of cheap sniping is not  what most of us signed up for. Sorry guys you can count me out from now on.

Beverley_Macca  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2009 18:17:44(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

Here, here... well said

Web Watcher  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2009 18:21:57(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Bob - please stay with us!!! Let's hope that the people spoiling the site are blocked by those in charge and things might return to normal
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2009 18:26:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very warm welcome back Bob,

A welcome back to the country and hopefully to this forum.

You are correct the forum has degenerated and it appears it is a definite and deliberate attempt to once again have it taken from the majority on here.

I have had some personal attacks as has JonG even Horwich Ender has been targeted and Fedup has copped a lot of flak and you could not wish to read from a more pleasant and amusing contributor.

I agree about poor Jake he was a good bloke. I never met him but I have scores of emails from him and he took some stick on here alright; but he always said he would not be bullied from taking part by a couple of individuals. And that is what they are Bob just a couple trying to intimidate and spoil things for everyone. They are pathetic.
For Jake’s and everyone’s sakes don’t let them force you away. Let them have their say but take no notice of them. Do NOT reply to any of their posts no matter how much they wind you up. Simply ignore them.

We should feel sorry for them if that is the best they can offer. Just totally ignore them and I think everyone should do that. They will disappear as quickly as they reappeared.

You are too valued a member to say goodbye, Bob. Stick around mate if you don’t rise to them they will soon go away and find another way of upsetting someone else. That is what pathetic, cowardly bullies do.

R. S-S

Wait till you see the response to this.

Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2009 19:26:24(UTC)
Gnatalee

Bob

Please don't stop posting - I know what you mean, which is why I made my "disappointment" posting, (that silvery person's reply posting just about said it all !) I was prepared to pack it in but I am actually interested in Whaley and it's history and don't see why a few trouble-makers should put me off. Personally I would have thought it might be better for them to set up a Whaley facebook site where they can slag each other off to their hearts content !

We need local people to actively contribute (as opposed to just criticising everyone else) and hope you will continue with your postings. YOUR VILLAGE NEEDS YOU ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 25 September 2009 19:29:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2009 19:54:16(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

And so say all of us! It's always the rotten few who spoil it for the rest.

Well said R.S-S, just ignore them.

Edited by user 25 September 2009 19:54:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2009 20:14:32(UTC)
snoopy

Bob, I bet you never realised that you have something in common with Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Jonathon Ross and Amy Winehouse?

Well I don't know you and I don't know them.

But what you don't have in common is that you should be on this forum.

If you leave the idiots have won, and that cannot happen.

The bottom line is really that nobody should give in who wants a forum for WB, why can't the idiots be banned? It only takes a click of a button. Free speech ends when the insults rise, I believe in free speech but insulting people is not free speech is it libellous? But of course we don't know who they are, well I don't.

Come on Bob.

Edited by user 25 September 2009 20:18:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2009 23:12:45(UTC)
snoopy

snoopy wrote:

The bottom line is really that nobody should give in who wants a forum for WB, why can't the idiots be banned? It only takes a click of a button. Free speech ends when the insults rise, I believe in free speech but insulting people is not free speech is it libellous? But of course we don't know who they are, well I don't.

I have been thinking about that since I posted it. Why can't the idiots be banned, or do the organisers of this forum want it to be closed, because decent people leave. That says a lot about Whaley Bridge to the nation.

People from local villages look at this forum so I have found out. The word on the street is that Whaley is full of idiots and plonkers. If the cap fits. Why don't  the mods or whatever of this forum save it ? Probaly delete this post first and leave the others no doubt!!

Beverley_Macca  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2009 23:31:13(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

I agree with Snoopy - the moderators stepped in on High Peak Harry and his chip shop fetish but have been strangely absent with all this random vitriol knocking about.

There was some really nasty nonsense going on this past week and it went without comment or intervention.

In addition, I wouldn't be so quick to blame one person for all the nonsense - the truth will out.

Don't go Bob - the real contributors are speaking now.

High Peak Harry  
#10 Posted : 26 September 2009 00:32:38(UTC)
High Peak Harry

It wasn't MY fetish to keep mentioning it, but other peoples who steered threads via the most tenuous of links. I take your point though and it does seem as though some on here have a certain agenda i.e. we'll get you if you don't yield to us.

Some people use fora such as this as they are housebound or live away from their childhood area. To then have to put up with nonsense such as this from the last few days is despicable.

I wish we had an ignore button, as stated elsewhere, then those of us with 'interesting' (well to some of us) could post their hearts content. Be it Toddbrook, Bingswood or the corner shop.
tyke  
#11 Posted : 26 September 2009 09:24:42(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Maybe we could ask the question? How many actually like reading the nonsense that appears on the forum? Can I suggest that the first to reply does so under a separate and new topic so as not to clutter this one!

snoopy  
#12 Posted : 26 September 2009 19:10:16(UTC)
snoopy

tyke wrote:

Maybe we could ask the question? How many actually like reading the nonsense that appears on the forum? Can I suggest that the first to reply does so under a separate and new topic so as not to clutter this one!

100%

Might be interesting if anyone starts it going

Bob Bowker  
#13 Posted : 28 September 2009 18:23:52(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Good afternoon all

Following my post on 25th September, I was quite overwhelmed by the response and thank you one and all for your supportive comments, not least R. S-S who always talks common sense.

You are right. For the memory of such worthy past contributors as Incredulous and Jake it would be churlish to let the side down and let the muppets take over.

It would appear that positive intervention from the powers that be have derailed the provocoteurs and for the moment normal service would appear to have been resumed.

On that basis I would be pleased if you will deal me in again. This site is worth the fight.

Best regards

Bob   (aka Sven & Victor on the previous site)

Fedup  
#14 Posted : 28 September 2009 18:57:31(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well said and cheers to you Bob!

Edited by user 28 September 2009 18:58:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 28 September 2009 19:08:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Very, very nice to have you back on board Bob,

You would have been a great loss to us.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#16 Posted : 28 September 2009 19:52:53(UTC)
Gnatalee

Ditto Bob !

Gnats

Edited by user 28 September 2009 19:53:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#17 Posted : 28 September 2009 20:03:16(UTC)
snoopy

george  
#18 Posted : 29 September 2009 19:26:10(UTC)
george

Hi Bob

Welcome back, I was fed up and bored with the way the forum was going and had decided to not tune-in again but having a few idle moments curiosity got the better of me I decided to have another look, I am glad I did, it is definately looking  more interesting,

george