logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2009 20:22:35(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

There are many members who will be able to answer this query.  There was once a small supermarket in Whaley, I think in the building which is now the Co-op Pharmacy. I am trying to remember whether this was Lennons or Liptons. When did it close I wonder ?  Are there any photos ?

Lennons became part of Gateway, now Somerfields which is currently being absorbed into the Co-op

Fedup  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2009 20:31:21(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Yes, there was a supermarket where the Pharmacy is now. I think when it closed it was under the Liptons name. I'm sure someone on here will prove me wrong, but I think it closed about 10 - 12 years ago.

Edited by user 26 September 2009 20:31:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Over the hill but not far away  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2009 21:14:30(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

I can't remember what it was called but a tin of beans or cat food was about ten bob and the stock was like one of those shops you still see in parts of North Wales on the Llyn peninsular or in a 1960's black and white film -only this was the mid 80,s  so that was why it closed-nothing to be nostalgic about I'm afraid-belongs in room 101

Cheers

Edited by user 26 September 2009 21:33:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snowy  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2009 21:18:54(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Well, I thought was Spar, but the memory could be playing tricks again. I remember a few years ago (10?) the manager was attacked and injured by robbers, and shortly after that it closed for good. I can't remember his name any more, but it affected his health badly.

I think the shop changed hands several times though and it may well have been Liptons at some point.

A long time before that I think it was used as Taxal Church Hall. And before that it was  a cinema (there is another thread on the forum about this).

The pet shop/greengrocer's next door to the Co-op pharmacy was a grocery store called Burgons at the time the cinema was open. I have a feeling this shop was taken over by Lipton's, but could be wrong.

Edited by user 26 September 2009 21:57:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2009 23:01:43(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

It could well have been Spar; yes, I remember that poor chap who was badly injured by those local thugs who robbed the shop. And you are quite right to say it closed very soon after this incident.

I do not remember it as Taxal Church Hall, and certainly not as a cinema. But then I am a mere newcomer of 30 years!

Edited by user 26 September 2009 23:02:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2009 23:15:25(UTC)
Gnatalee

Well, am sorry to say, I am old enough to remember a cinema there - and also sorry to say I watched a horrendously bad Jerry Lewis film there - scarred me for life !!

I dont know how long the cinema was there for, but I think I was there late 50s/early 60s.

From a supermarket point of view, I can only remember Burgons.

Gnats

Edited by user 26 September 2009 23:16:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2009 09:42:44(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I Remember the Spar with Mr Turner who was assaulted by some local thugs. He was a very likeable if a bit of an odd character who kept banging his head on the shelf above the freezer cabinets...he was very tall though. I seem to remember the spa was sold to the co-op and for a while we had two co-ops in Whaley. Obviously one had to go and it became the pharmacy. I guess this happened as someone said about ten years ago.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2009 10:05:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good Sunday morning to you Gnatalee,

I went to Whaley pictures many times. I may have sat on the back row with you.

I remember watching Alfred Hitchcock’s (are you allowed to say that name on here?) ‘The Birds’ there and having to walk home alone later that night.
I was so scared of an owl flying out of somebody’s garden at me I walked all the way in the middle of the road. The film has had an everlasting effect on me and I have never been to the seaside since.

It’s a little bit surprising that I have a pet pelican in that respect.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2009 08:30:42(UTC)
parabuild

Man

It might well have been Lipton's at one time; I'm thinking of the 70's / 80's .  There was a time when every town had sometimes several branches of Allied Suppliers whether it be Home & Colonial, Maypole Dairy or Lipton's.  They were like the Tesco's of their day having over 3000 branches although only small shops like that in Whaley.

Lipton's was first established in Glasgow in 1870.  Allied Suppppliers was taken over by Argyll Group in 1982. By the mid 1980's many stores were being re-branded as either Presto or Lo-Cost whilst others were closed. A number were sold off to members of Spar.  Argyll went on ot take over Safeway and rebranded their remaining stores under that banner.  They eventually ended up under  Morrisons ownership. 

Was the Whaley branch at one time under the Lo-Cost banner ?

I can't discover much about Burgon's although I remember the name.  They seem to have been a regional chain of "high class grocers" with branches around Manchester.

David Easton

Edited by user 06 October 2009 08:32:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

curtaintwitcher  
#10 Posted : 06 October 2009 09:19:29(UTC)
curtaintwitcher

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
It was Liptons before it became a Spar. I remember having to suffer drinking there very strong own brand tea at my grans.
george  
#11 Posted : 07 October 2009 13:39:01(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Burgons was on the opposite side of the road (where Vito's was) until about 1948/9 and then moved to where the pet shop is. Some people may remember Fred Platt delivering orders in their van. About 1967 after Taxal Parish Hall was sold it was moved into what is now the Co-op Parmacy as a self-service shop (previously it had been counter trade). I can't remember it it continued as Burgons but I think it next became Liptons. Following this J.R.B. Joinery occupied the premises where the pet shop is. As a matter of interest W.B. and Buxton Co-op grocery shop became self-service in early 1953.

Incidently Nelson closed the cinema in spring 1956 (the last film was Sinba) It was opened as Taxal Parish Hall by the Bishop of Stockport in Spring 1958.

george