logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Over the hill but not far away  
#21 Posted : 30 September 2009 17:26:40(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Groups: Member

Hmmmm indeed !

G. Jackson  
#22 Posted : 30 September 2009 17:35:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Rock Banker,

I didn't open the topic Tommy Dodd's Twist someone called Frederick did. He/she is obviously mistaken about the twist as there has only been Tommy Dodd and I have recently posted under the correct topic.

As for Mr. R S-S saying he thinks I am not a fine upstanding member of the community,  I am affronted. The arthritis and other complaints (which will possibly affect Mr. R S-S when he attains my great age ) have confined me to one room of a large house for many years but now I have the buggy and am getting out more. I can add that I think I am fine member of the community.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 30 September 2009 17:35:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

RockBanker wrote:
Hmm..

G Jackson knows the Secret of Tommy Dodd's Twist, and you know the secret of Tommy Dodd.

No wonder conspiracy theories abound.

Hey RB,

I thought you were my friend and if a friend tells you something you should really believe it.

Your message above seems to cryptically infer that I may be G Jackson. If you are not inferring that then I apologise but I have said it so many times on here but I will repeat it one last time.

I have never posted on here or on the last forum under any name other than R. S-S

I would like to ask JonG to back me up on this one if he is able to.

I personally think anyone with multiple names should not be allowed on this or any other forum. I hope that once again makes my position clear.

Anyway you and I have better things to discuss RB.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#24 Posted : 30 September 2009 17:45:35(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

R-SS

I had never considered that you may be operating multiple identities.

Edited by user 30 September 2009 17:46:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#25 Posted : 30 September 2009 17:49:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Then I apologise to you.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#26 Posted : 30 September 2009 17:51:35(UTC)
G. Jackson

R S-S ....... How about apologising to me then or is it a club to which I don't belong? Not a fine upstanding member of the community indeed  ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! 

Edited by user 30 September 2009 17:54:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#27 Posted : 30 September 2009 17:51:36(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Accepted graciously

RockBanker  
#28 Posted : 30 September 2009 18:00:35(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Anyway, I'm still keen on the idea of cobbling together some story loosely based on historical events in Whaley Bridge, passing them on to Dan Brown as great historical conspiracy, getting him to base a best selling novel on it and then watch the money come in over the counters in the shops, pubs & cafes while I do the "Whaley Bridge Mystery Tour"..... Which is where the great secret(s) first led me

Edited by user 30 September 2009 18:03:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#29 Posted : 30 September 2009 18:10:28(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well RB, when you do your Mystery Tour, don't forget to include the Corner Shop, which is a mystery to everyone, and perhaps a Whaley Bridge Town Council meeting, which on occasion could mystify the very best of us.

No offence Cllr Jon!

Edited by user 30 September 2009 18:11:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#30 Posted : 30 September 2009 18:13:27(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Anyone know how many Freemasons or Templar Knights there are in the Town Council?

Edited by user 30 September 2009 18:14:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#31 Posted : 30 September 2009 18:19:08(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Take care RB, take care!

CllrJonG  
#32 Posted : 30 September 2009 18:28:02(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

For what its worth, i am as convinced as i can be, given all the information you can see, plus the additional information I  can see as an administrator, that R.S.S does not have any other identities.

The same cannot be said for some of the other users of the forum !

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#33 Posted : 30 September 2009 18:51:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you for that Jon it was very good of you.

I have no need to post under any other name and I have never done so nor will I in the future.

It is one bad aspect of this type of forum.

But thanks once more Jon.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 13 October 2009 21:53:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Mr Parabuild,

I don’t quite know how the discussion regarding ‘Old Silverheels’ has jumped from various topics but let’s try and put it to bed. By that I mean the topic not ‘Old Silverheels’.

Lyme Hall was owned by the Legh family and like all families of great wealth they had a Dower House (I’m just considering sites for my own funnily enough). Their Dower House was at Bridgemont and it was known as Bothams Hall. There are various ways of spelling it before you all start.

Well old Mr Legh died and so his son became Master of Lyme Hall and he needed his wife to be in charge so old Mrs Legh was turfed out to take up residence at Bothams Hall where she was the Dowager.

Are you following this Mr Parabuild?

Good.

The new head of Lyme Hall obviously had great affection for The Dowager, probably because she was his Mother, so he made sure she was well cared for and had everything she needed.
He even bought her a horse; and she became so fond of this horse that it became more like a pet. I don’t mean it slept in a basket in the kitchen or anything like that but it was wonderfully treated for a horse.

When it needed re-shoeing (and I’m tempted here to mention the shoe shop that is now Footsteps but I won’t) it was shod with solid silver horse shoes.

Can you just imagine that Mr Parabuild?

Well all good things come to an end and the faithful steed became ill. So ill in fact that the Dowager realised it should suffer no more. She called upon her staff to take her much loved horse away and to send it to the Promised Land. But she did not want to know anything about it. Well you wouldn’t would you?

They took it away from Botham’s Hall and led it up to Hoggs Yard, which is now the Corner Shop, there they dug the poor animal’s grave. But they dug it neither wide enough nor deep enough.
The beast stood alongside its final resting place and it was dispatched. I don’t know how and I don’t want to but it fell into the hole.

I hope this isn’t too distressing for you Mr Parabuild but it has to be said.

The problem was it fell over and ended upside down. Personally I have never buried a horse so I am not 100% sure on the correct procedure anyway.
The burial crew were by this time very worried; they could not lift it out and dig the hole deeper so they squashed or bent the poor horse’s legs down so they were just below the level of ground; but only just so.
They quickly filled it in and beat a hasty retreat and all agreed they would say nothing. But one of them got a bit too much beer one night and spoke of those terrible events but had the good sense not to reveal the location.

So in all the ensuing years and right up to the present day people have searched for those elusive silver shoes.
I can tell you one thing it was not buried on the site of the corner shop because I went down there each day to watch the excavation works. Neither is it anywhere near Botham’s Hall. In fact there is really only one place left to explore where the old stallion may be at rest.
It should certainly be easier than looking for Shergar so I will leave it with you for now.
Please let me know how you go on.

Thank you for your attention Mr Parabuild.

R. S-S

Text Size for my good friend, George.
High Peak Harry  
#35 Posted : 13 October 2009 22:04:51(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Right where's me shovel? Failing that, I'll give that bloke in Lichfield a ring.
parabuild  
#36 Posted : 14 October 2009 11:52:22(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I am pleased to hear that Old Silverheels is no more than a skeleton.  I was afraid that he might be some spectral being that would terrify me one dark night.  I doubt if I shall take my spade down to Bothomes as I could be digging for the rest of my days.  The area has changed much since the time of the Dowager. Canals, railways and roads have changed the land and the famed horseshoes could lie very deep indeed.  You refer to "Hoggs Yard" R.S-S.  I have also seen reference to "Big Hogs".  The 19th Century tithe map names the field "Big Meg's Yard". Perhaps the name has changed or been corrupted over the years.

RockBanker  
#37 Posted : 14 October 2009 12:42:31(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

A fine tale well told there, RSS.

How heartening is the integrity of the Dowager's servants, that they did not think to remove the shoes for themselves.

It is also more great material for my upcoming opus "The Shallcross Code". Strangely I could not find many silver shod horses in myth, except in some of the retellings of the "Thracian Horseman" legend . Parabuilds revelation that the the Hogsyard was once "Big Megs Yard" is rather exciting. Big Meg is often associated with Magog, a figure of myth since Old Testament times, and whose statue still forms part of the Lord Mayors Parade in London. So we have a Thracian Horseman's horse sacrificied in the field of Magog. Powerful stuff.

Edited by user 14 October 2009 12:49:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#38 Posted : 22 October 2009 19:50:05(UTC)
G. Jackson

When I  told my grandson about  " Old Silverheels " he laughed out loud. He has been working for the ambulance service for the last 32 years and recently they have been parking near the Bridgemont roundabout for easy access to the local towns. When they park there, facing the roundabout, the drivers window overlooks a small patch of grass which obviously is the burial plot for the horse in the story. I have been there today to confirm this and taken some photos with my Kodak Brownie camera and have taken the roll of film to the chemists and will post the snaps when I get them back.

P.S. The silver horseshoes are still there and intact, possibly the price of silver today is so low even the night time yobbos of Whaley Bridge can't be bothered to rip them off. 

I hope that this finally puts this topic to rest like the horse itself.

Edited by user 22 October 2009 19:51:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dora Gibson  
#39 Posted : 23 October 2009 01:18:13(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear RockBanker,

I don't think that there is any conspiracy theory and if you re-track you will see that it is all like Chinese whispers in that, there is NO Tommy Dodd's Twist, there is simply Tommy Dodd. As an old and pretty brain-dead woman, I've managed to follow the trail. Also, sometimes it is nice to have a little bit of mystery don't you think?

P.S. I remember Silverheels and pretty much remember where that beautiful mare was buried, though I wouldn't like to stake my life on it as my memory isn't what it was these days.

Best wishes, Dora Gibson
G. Jackson  
#40 Posted : 23 October 2009 15:19:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

020 Old Sliverheels ??????????

I hope this settles the matter for all time now.....

Edited by user 23 October 2009 17:36:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified