logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2009 17:45:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello everybody,

Nothing to get alarmed about this is a trial run and may or may not come off.

I have some old photos that I have bought from auctions and such like. Some are old postcards and some old photos that have been given to me. These I have scanned but have been unable to put them on the forum. Simply because I am not capable of doing it. That is until JonG came immediately to my assistance as soon as I asked. I seem to be saying thanks an awful lot to you Jon; but thanks once more.

Right trial run:

We have all seen the old photo of Sam Evans posing with his bells out in front of the church.
In fact I’ll put a copy of that on first but here is a photo (very poor quality I admit) of Sam’s bells being delivered and not a hangman in sight.

Let’s see if it works. I hope it does because it’s given me headache trying.

R. S-S

WB2205D Rev Sam Evans with bells of Taxal by you.

Clipboard01 by you.
Fedup  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2009 19:04:13(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Very well done R.S-S.

Indeed, the second photo has an almost surreal, or ethereal, atmosphere to it.

I wonder what the people in these old photographs would think if they knew they were being viewed by people in their own homes thanks to technology which would probably seem quite frightening and incomprehensible to them. I think sometimes when we look at these snapshots of the past it is easy to forget that they were once liviing, breathing people, with the same emotions, thoughts and problems as we have today. And no doubt in the future, photos of today will be viewed and studied with interest and some amusement at our strange attire and odd customs.

A sobering thought!

And so endeth the lesson!

Edited by user 06 October 2009 19:05:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2009 20:12:12(UTC)
parabuild

Man

R. S-S   It's sometimes worth digitally enhancing these old photos.  I've tried adjusting the contrast and removing some marks.  I would really need to see the original to attempt any other Photoshop adjustments.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
3987715480_1bdeffa9ac.jpg
Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2009 22:47:43(UTC)
Gnatalee

Excellent test run I'd say !!

I'll bet my grandmother and her brother and sisters are on there somewhere! From what she told me they went to both morning and evening services.

Look forward to seeing more photos Parabuild - these are really interesting. Thank you.

Gnats

Edited by user 06 October 2009 22:48:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2009 22:50:02(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Not my pictures Gnats, just one of R. S-S's that I adjusted.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 07 October 2009 08:31:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Very good Mr Parabuild,

My grateful thanks to you.

How are you getting on with your quest in the search for Old Silverheels? The last time you mentioned it I thought you were getting quite close.

From memory I did offer with your search but I don’t think you took up my offer.

It wouldn’t be difficult as I see you fairly regularly.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2009 09:20:31(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Good Morning R. S-S.  

I must admit that I am a little bit stumped in my hunt for Old Silverheels.  I know that I am looking for the Dowager's upside down horse in the vicinity of Bothomes Hall.  It has been searched for in the past by a metal detector party setting out from Tesco's.  I am told I must dig deeper so perhaps I am seeking something buried.  The grave of a Derby Winner must surely be too recent.  I am warned not to invent my own name for Old Silverheels.  How I wonder, did I ever get involved in this mission.

Now I certainly do need a new clue R. S-S. 

I wonder where it is that you see me so often ?   I am out and about rather a lot walking here, there and everywhere.  You must introduce yourself.

David Easton

Dora Gibson  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2009 01:10:30(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear RSS.

I have been racking my brains when looking at your latter photograph and think that the man on the immediate right was a Mr Edgar Harrop. It is not simply the face, but rather the Harrop stance. I am wondering how we can check this out because sadly for me, I am the only one of my years living to-date but I'm sure there must be others living in different parts of the country.

Have you any idea which auction you purchased the photograph from? Dora Gibson
Dora Gibson  
#9 Posted : 10 October 2009 02:07:36(UTC)
Dora Gibson

P.S. Why is the lady on the left of the picture, in the near foreground wearing a witches hat do you think? Dora Gibson
CllrJonG  
#10 Posted : 14 October 2009 04:06:21(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Ms Gibson,

Surely the gentleman you refer to is the Rev Samual Evans.He is wearing a cap in both pictures. I do agree that  everybody is wearing a cap, but surely you agree that the caps do  look rather similar.

Fedup, I absolutely agree with you in your post #2. i feel the same when I look at old photos where you see children smiling with happy innocent faces. It's very sad to think that they have gone now. I go to auctions and sales from time to time and you occasionally find whole family albums with pictures of happy families and children who are all long since gone. Its very sad to see and a shame that these sorts of family histories get 'lost' and dispersed in this way.

On a happy note, what's this about a hangman at Taxal Church? He wasn't there when I got married.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Dora Gibson  
#11 Posted : 15 October 2009 23:21:08(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear CllrJohnG, I'm terribly sorry, but I don't recall a Reverand Samual Evans, but the Harrops? Well that's a long story and not one for the faint-hearted and not that I would like to continue the rumours of years ago! Each to their own I would say. As for the hangman at Taxal Church, pardon the pun, but that doesn't ring a bell however, I do recall somebody hanging themselves at Taxal Church, who was I think, Jethroe (Jed) Stephenson - it was something to do with spurned love I think.

Does anyone else out there remember this? All the best, Dora Gibson
Frankie  
#12 Posted : 16 October 2009 15:36:26(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Dora &Jon

The connection of the Hangman and Taxal Church is that Albert Pierpoint did in fact open a garden party at Taxal Rectory back in the early fifties.I think R.S-S has mentioned this in  one  of his earlier postings. I did attend this function as a young boy of course. ( He spent some time checking the ribbons on the May Pole to make sure they did'nt get knotted)

Edited by user 16 October 2009 16:14:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 16 October 2009 17:12:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Frankie,

Yes you are correct we did discuss this event on the last forum just after the Timothy Spall docu/drama on the life and times of Albert Pierrepoint on BBC.

Albert was a national hero after coming back from Germany where he had executed over 200 Nazi war criminals.
National hero or not it does seem rather a strange choice; I mean you could have got Bruce Forsythe or Leslie Crowther who could have handed out Crackerjack pencils to the children.

But, no Albert it was. Just how the Vicar announced his guest I do not know.
What I do know is that Albert charged St James’s Church more than double what he charged the Government for executing someone.

I think it was 1950 Frankie and Albert not only opened the garden party he also crowned The Rose Queen. Was it a Miss Clark from Manor Road? You will know better than I do.

I don’t know how long Albert stayed or what tales he had to tell but as I say a bit of an odd guest of honour even in those times.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 25 October 2009 10:34:31(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

CllrJonG wrote:

Ms Gibson,

Surely the gentleman you refer to is the Rev Samual Evans.He is wearing a cap in both pictures. I do agree that  everybody is wearing a cap, but surely you agree that the caps do  look rather similar.

Fedup, I absolutely agree with you in your post #2. i feel the same when I look at old photos where you see children smiling with happy innocent faces. It's very sad to think that they have gone now. I go to auctions and sales from time to time and you occasionally find whole family albums with pictures of happy families and children who are all long since gone. Its very sad to see and a shame that these sorts of family histories get 'lost' and dispersed in this way.

On a happy note, what's this about a hangman at Taxal Church? He wasn't there when I got married.

Cheers

Jon.

Hello Jon,

Now you have introduced yourself as our resident expert on head wear I wonder if you could do us a small favour and identify the gentleman wearing the flat cap in this picture?

And what about the buildings?

As regards to the hangman not being present when you got married; well I’m sure he wasn’t but maybe you were putting your head in a noose anyway.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 01 November 2009 15:27:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I think I should re-arrange the photos of ST. James’ new bells:

Picture 1. The bells arriving at Whaley Station.

Picture 2. The bells arriving at the Church.

Picture 3. Sam posing with his bells out on display at the Church.

Sam is on every one of the pictures; apparently he was really looking forward to having a new set of larger bells.

It didn’t last long though because he had a serious fall out with his bell ringers and banned them from the Church.
The bells remained silent for one year.

Good old Sam.

Strangely enough if Sam were alive today he would probably be living just about where the first picture was taken.

Poor old Sam.

R. S-S