logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Radar  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2009 16:41:45(UTC)
Radar

Groups: Member

Dear All,

I was just browsing my PC and come across the attached old map of Whaley.

The detail isn't perfect but it is quite interesting.

Radar

File Attachment(s):
Whaley Bridge Old Map.JPG (1,163kb) downloaded 744 time(s).
RockBanker  
#2 Posted : 08 October 2009 17:28:17(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Thanks Radar,

Do you have the bit of the map that includes Horwich End?

I also note that there is a 'Stone' shown on what I guess is the Humpty Dumpty fields behind where the new Cricket Pavillion now is. Anyone know anything about that?

P.S. It also looks like R-SS's famous round structure is shown around the Wharf Road area. 

Edited by user 08 October 2009 17:30:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
parabuild  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2009 20:20:59(UTC)
parabuild

Man

If you visit the  Old Maps web site   you can view 1 : 2500 and 1 : 10560 scale OS maps for various dates between 1881 and 1938. These are available, I think for the entire country. On their web page click on the MAPS tab and enter Whaley Bridge in the search box.  I find the 1 : 2500 scale hard to read. The smaller scale maps have a zoom facility which allows you a close view. Use the arrow keys to reposition the map view.  You will certainly be able to find Horwich End and of course Rock Bank.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Radar  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2009 22:16:25(UTC)
Radar

RockBanker,

Horwich End Map attached

Radar

File Attachment(s):
Horwich End.JPG (408kb) downloaded 258 time(s).
parabuild  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2009 11:18:41(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Another useful map resource is part of the Cheshire archives web site.  Some maps end at the original Cheshire boundary.  The web page allows for side by side comparison of maps.  In addition to historical and modern mapping, there is a 1970's aerial survey and a 19th C tithe map. The tithe map has an accompanying "plot details" section giving information on land ownership and occupancy, field names and acreage.

i

maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 14 October 2009 15:35:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

RockBanker wrote:

Thanks Radar,

Do you have the bit of the map that includes Horwich End?

I also note that there is a 'Stone' shown on what I guess is the Humpty Dumpty fields behind where the new Cricket Pavillion now is. Anyone know anything about that?

P.S. It also looks like R-SS's famous round structure is shown around the Wharf Road area. 

Good Afternoon RB,

I think I have had my last word on the ‘Old Silverheels’ thread for now except to say I was surprised and more than a little disappointed that you would suspect the Dowager’s servants of taking the famous silver shoes for themselves. Shame on you.

Now I am over here and you asked for a map of Horwich End so I’ll put a small piece on here for you to survey.

There’s tons of things to talk about on this map and as we are both from the fair city of Horwich End we may find it necessary to get together to discuss some of the finer points.

You may have to use your computer to magnify the map to look at various bits and pieces but I’m sure that is well within your capabilities.

I notice the two Political Clubs are denoted: on Old Road, just below you, is the Partington Liberal Club which is now the Gospel Hall and the house with all the windows in the gable end which faces up Chapel Road was the Conservative Club. I’m not too sure if the Lib Dems or the Tories still retain an interest in either building. Maybe you know?

If you follow the road up Long Hill you will come to the turning to Shallcross Hall Colliery that is now Meverill Road. Vaughan Road and Manor Road are shown as allotment gardens.

This area and the subsequent new houses became known as Flanders. Some people, including myself, still refer to the area as Flanders.
You will be able to see the tramway going into Frankie’s beloved Botany and you can follow the Combs Reservoir Goat through Horwich End.

Over to you my good friend.

R. S-S

MAP OF HORWICH END by you.

RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 14 October 2009 17:00:29(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I think I have had my last word on the ‘Old Silverheels’ thread for now except to say I was surprised and more than a little disappointed that you would suspect the Dowager’s servants of taking the famous silver shoes for themselves. Shame on you.

Shame on you too sir, for attempting to twist my words, which did nothing but praise them for their integrity. "Honi soit qui mal y pense" is my response.  

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 14 October 2009 18:09:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Evening RB,

I have just re-read your post with regards to the servants and I agree you did nothing other than praise their integrity.

Good for you and as you say shame on me.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2009 09:41:49(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I shall take it as an honest error and consider the matter closed. How is Peter by the way? Do you think he would be interested in Cllr Jon's fishing expedition?

buggyite  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2009 10:35:40(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

R S-S,

Thats an interesting map, but I cannot see any signs of a tramway into Botany Bleach Works.

I was unaware of this tramway, so could you please give me some indication of where I should be looking,  where it came from and what it carried.

Am I too late for a guess at the circular wall at Wharfe Pit?  If it's not the main winding shaft, then it could be an air shaft. Before the days of powered fans, it was not unusual to have a large fire burning at the base of the "outbound" air shaft in mines, which would draw air from the pit. Various doors would be used to create a path for this air to circulate round the workings, to make sure the miners didn't suffocate.

I wonder if the mystery wall is the top of the shaft where the fire would have been burning.

Jack

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
RockBanker  
#11 Posted : 15 October 2009 10:56:43(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

I think, but am open to correction from those with more knowledge, that the tramway was as shown below. I believe its purpose was to provide a direct supply of coal from the Shallcross Hall Pit, which it met underground

Edited by user 15 October 2009 11:15:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker attached the following image(s):
HORWICH END.jpg

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 15 October 2009 13:27:47(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

RockBanker wrote:

How is Peter by the way? Do you think he would be interested in Cllr Jon's fishing expedition?

Good afternoon to you RB,

I am pleased we are still friends. That is most important.

As you know I do read all the contributions on this forum to my pet pelican, Peter. But I must say I thought long and hard about reading Jon’s topic entitled ‘Sea Fishing Trip’ to him.
I don’t really like to keep anything from my bird because you never know if someone else will tell them at a later date and then you’re really in for trouble. So I eventually decided to read Jon’s opening contribution to Peter.

When I started by mentioning the phrase ‘Sea Fishing Trip’ Peter’s ears pricked up; well they would have done if he had any that could be seen. But he was certainly very excited; he does like a bit of sea fishing from time to time.

But when I mentioned the author’s name he started to shake and quickly went off the idea. I don’t think he’s very keen on Jon to be honest.

However, he did say to me (a bit in the style of Skippy the Bush Kangaroo) that he would be very interested to know what date Jon and his Argonauts are to set sail.

I think he’s rather got his eye on Brookfield pond and is looking forward to having a day up there with Colin the Cormorant.

We must be very aware of Jon’s diary in the near future. I’m sure Fedup would like to go over to the pond and stand guard whilst the feasting takes place and who knows Peter and Colin may actually pose together for Mr Parabuild if he happens to be there. What a picture that would make.

Oh no, I’ve just read him this reply and he wants to know if his friend Henry the Heron (picture below) can come along as well. At this rate it’s going to be like an episode of ‘Come Dine with Me’.

I think you had better stay on dry land Jon before matters get really out of hand.

R. S-S

Birds 081 by you.
parabuild  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2009 14:06:01(UTC)
parabuild

Man

What's all this talk of fishing ?

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1040621.jpg
RockBanker  
#14 Posted : 15 October 2009 14:08:41(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Very good!

RockBanker  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2009 14:16:59(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

But when I mentioned the author’s name he started to shake and quickly went off the idea.

Yes, I can understand his reluctance.
Your posting has got me thinking. Despite my long association with the sea, I am no fan of fish as food. However my wife is, and often bemoans the lack of a wet fish shop in Whaley Bridge. Now Peter seems to be blessed with more than the average amount of intelligence for a Pelican. I wonder if he would consider doorstep deliveries? It might be a good little business venture for him. We would have to eliminate the flack towers that Cllr Jon seems to be planning and Peter might have to consider making a contribution from his profits to help re-stock the CPA pond & reservoir, but the idea, I believe, has some merit.  There may be some small business grants available for him as well.
I would also be able to put him in touch with some charming Russian gentlemen I once met who have a rather splendid submarine.

Edited by user 15 October 2009 14:23:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2009 14:18:42(UTC)
parabuild

Man

This looks very much like the Botany tramway, marked on this 1910 map

parabuild attached the following image(s):
b3.jpg
RockBanker  
#17 Posted : 15 October 2009 17:41:44(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

The Pelican's Revenge?

RockBanker attached the following image(s):
fishing.jpg

Fedup  
#18 Posted : 15 October 2009 21:55:43(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

It's worse than you think R.S-S and RB.

The other day there were four cormorants on Toddbrook. Now Colin, Coleen and Collette are well known to us, but
the fourth member of the family was a mystery, until I realised that it was Aunty Cora. But before Cllr Jon gets his twelve bore out, let me reassure you that she was only visiting. In fact, she'd called round for a fish supper.

I think you will find that Henry the Heron will probably want to bring his girlfriend, Henrietta, to the feast. Then there are Gary, Grant, Gilly and Gemma the gulls to invite.

Phew! It's going to be some party!

Edited by user 15 October 2009 21:58:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified