logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skeldol  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2009 21:51:57(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Anyone else think the repaving on Chapel Road is a disgrace?  The pavement that used to be there was fine.  They have replaced it with shoddy tarmac that is full of foot prints.  I cannot believe the Council is going to leave it the way it is or that they are letting the contractor get away with it.  It shows a total disregard for the residents of the street. 

MLG  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2009 08:57:16(UTC)
MLG

Groups: Member

The foot prints are the new anti slip surfacing.

barrwalk  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2009 17:19:04(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

You can hardly call it repaving or even tarmac. It is a thin coat of black 'stuff' that was meant to cover (hide) the uneven surface where the developers have left the service trenches they dug so unevenly finished. The developer has declined to finish the whole of the Elnor Lane/Chapel Road junction and the County Council are now calling in a £90k bond to finish the work that should have been completed by February 2009. There are many puddles along the whole length espoecially at the bus stop - just where you put your case on the way to the airport on the 199. The 'new' junction is still not re-adopted by DCC.

What about the bright galvanised barrier on Elnor Lane? Don't you think that looks nice as well. DCC Highways made the barrier a condition of planning permssion for the Cotton Close development. HPBC says it should have a dry stone wall behind it but we know the bset stone disappered on pallets at the start of the development two and a half years ago andthe rest was pushed over the edge.

The sad part about the whole development is that Whaley Bridge Town Council do not appear to be the slightest bit interested in the shortcomings just as they demonstrate a lack of interest in the traffic problems of the town and many other areas of community concern. Then, they were nearly all elected unopposed or coopted just as the present vacancy will be, so, have we any right to expect them to do anything but talk about the matters they are interested in? It is a pity that the one or two WB councillors who do more than talk cannot get the others interested in making real changes! to the Town

Edited by user 26 October 2009 17:20:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nce  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2009 12:43:13(UTC)
nce

I live in one of those houses, and although I can defend the development against some of its criticisms, the ones that Barrie has detailed are echoed by me also.
The developer is essentially a developer of flats. On the plus side, this has enabled them to use the interior space and split levels very effectively. On the negative side, they virtually never have to deal with roads. They actually forgot to apply for the permission to link Cotton Close to Elnor Lane and that caused crazy delays in getting the new residents (and hence the money) in.
The buildings have been constructed to a high standard, but everything else has been pretty shoddy. I have the corner plot with the wall and am praying for the day that an 18-wheeler loses it on Chapel Road and completely destoys the wall. At least then, it could be built properly (on the truck's insurance!) and not by bricklayers unskilled in dry stone walling. The wall opposite is also very poorly finished. The motorway barrier is a requirement (there is a similar one on Walters Wood that the residents have painted), and during the building of the houses, I bore witness to someone very nearly driving off the road and down to the canal feeder (his life was saved only by the blind luck of hitting the only pallet of building materials left on the pavement). That does not detract from the fact that the barrier looks pig ugly.
Finally, and back to the topic of this thread, the work carried out on the wall and the pavement along Chapel Road is so bad that if I were the Council, I would sue the builder. The path may be OK in summer, but in winter it will ice because it does not drain properly. The builder should be called back to fix that properly or the Council hould get their own people in and charge the builder.
The bond thing worries me as I understand that this is tied to road adoption and I would hate to have a situation like that at Walters Wood where the road remains unadopted and with its upkeep dependent on the residents (they even had to make their own street sign!!).
Beverley_Macca  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2009 15:24:27(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

Interesting I'm sure...

But what everyone wants to know is what is the difference between a cormorant and a shag?

I know which one I'd prefer on my dining table.

No juvenile innuendo intended.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2009 18:06:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Beverley,

Now just you listen to me young lady: that is disgusting, disgraceful, most distasteful and extremely suggestive.

But I wish I had thought of it first.

Email on its way this evening.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2009 18:19:37(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Beverley_Macca wrote:

Interesting I'm sure...

But what everyone wants to know is what is the difference between a cormorant and a shag?

I know which one I'd prefer on my dining table.

No juvenile innuendo intended.

What time is tea? Do we have to undress for dinner?

Fedup  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2009 18:41:54(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Eh?

What's going on here?

Bob Bowker  
#9 Posted : 29 October 2009 18:48:30(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Ah! So maybe this  is where the expression 'laying the table' originated.

'Elbows off the table' could take on a whole new connotation also.

High Peak Harry  
#10 Posted : 29 October 2009 20:55:14(UTC)
High Peak Harry

You would have to levitate rather like a Victorian music hall conman/illusionist.
barrwalk  
#11 Posted : 11 November 2009 14:34:51(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

Getting back from the smut of the above replies and onto the Cotton Close/Elnor Lane problems. I took out an Ombudsman Complaint against Derbyshire County Council, due to their lack of enforcement of the conditions of the development. The affair went on for many, many months AND 'FINISHED' A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. The Ombudsman (LGO) decided that even though Derbyshire County Council let matters go well beyond their own deadline of Feb 2009, for the developer to complete his obligations, he (LGO) would not even censure DCC. What a waste of time that complaint was.

I had a meeting with the DCC Highways engineer and a DCC representative on Wednesday 28 Oct and went through all the problems as I saw them (notes were taken and photos supplied) including street lighting, the bright galvanised barrier and the Chapel Road pavement 'covering' hiding the poor service trench  that resulted in puddles at the bus stop and along the whole length of the pavement at the new development; the Chapel side of the junction and the dumped road signs from three years ago, the convenience parking (Cotton Close residents for sure, I've seen them come out and get into their cars,  even though they have a street, driveways and garages) that now extends the horrendous traffic flow problems  casued by double sided parking from Horwich End traffic lights to Eccles Road, etc. etc.

There is a lot to do. However the DCC legal department are now trying to obtain the £91k legal surety they are entitled to enable themselves to do the work before it is up to the safe and legal standard they require. I said if they don't get it then they will still have to do the work from public funds (yours and mine).

There are two breaches of the planning permision to be put right. 1. is that the bright galvanised barrier should have the dry stone wall put back behind it. N.B. the original missing stone was either taken away on pallets and the rest bulldozed over the edge. And 2. that one wall opening on Chapel Road was not authorised. That appears to be one near the bus stop. AND more bad news for someone local. The person/s who park their cars on the new junction not only do so too (legally) close to the main road but they also remove some of the safety built in to the realignment of the old ELNOR LANE/CHAPEL ROAD from its old configuration. I was told this is to be looked in to!

A lot of mess and thughtlessness to sort out here. Lets hope it can be done soon!    Maybe our new councillor (soon to adopted) will see it through when they have been selected.

nce  
#12 Posted : 12 November 2009 14:13:03(UTC)
nce

Barrie,

I agree on the parking too. I am quite a tidy Cotton Close resident and always park on my driveway. Cotton Close is quite narrow though, and does not give easilty for on-street parking, but most houses should try to accomodate their cars on their supplied parking.

The parking close to the junction is a nightmare. As you emerge from Elnor Lane onto Chapel Road to turn left, you can rarely see down the street. Coming the other way, the residents of Chapel Road (good friends of mine, actually) park opposite the Elnor Lane junction ... is that legal? It forces right turning traffic to stop nearly in the middle of the road, but I understand why they do it as there is really no other optoin for them ... and they were there first!

The only tiny thing that puts a spanner in the parking is the snow. That junction ices very badly in winter. The nearest grit box is on Eccles Road, but it is smashed. WBTC and HPBC have some confusing arrangement over grit bins and I have enquired about this already with the conclusion that I can forget about getting a grit bin for the corner. Anyway, the result is that on snow days, almost everyone on Cotton Close avoids parking on it because they cannot get out. For my part, I grit that junction personally and grit Cotton Close down about as far as No 17. I will continue to do do in the hope that people realise they they do not have to park stupidly on winter evenings.

Finally, I would like to highlight the hilarity that I witness daily from my kitchen window as people try to simultanously drive out of Elnor Lane, turn right into it and ... swing cars round in the widened opening to reverese direction. I bet the council never foresaw that one.

Many thanks for your efforts to improve the surrpondings of my house and for having the noggin to know who to speak to.

Nige.

Edited by user 12 November 2009 14:14:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Beverley_Macca  
#13 Posted : 12 November 2009 14:26:49(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

Can we get back to the "smut" now please?

RockBanker  
#14 Posted : 12 November 2009 14:43:28(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You may of course be aware that Whaley Bridge was once famous for its "Big Smut"....
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
barrwalk  
#15 Posted : 29 November 2009 15:44:00(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

Anyone still interested ?  

Those who have passed the junction of Elnor Lane and Chapel Road will not have missed the new road lights that are now in operation on Elnor Lane.

Much better don't you think?

You may also have noticed that there are the official notices to ban parking on the four corners of Eccles Road and Elnor Lane so restoring the safety factors designed into the new junction some time ago. It was illegal anyway but yellow lines will help keep it clear.

The grass verge has been given a quick clearing but there is still work to do here to make it tidy. The Whaley Bridge Brownies are hopeful of receiving some cash from WBTC and Whaley Water Weekend to enable them to plant hundreds of spring bulbs (as soon as possible).

That's not all! There is a proposal that has been put to Derbyshire County Council to pave the grassed triangle at bus stop side of the Elnor Lane/Chapel Road junction and hopefully we may then be able to find sponsorship to fix a couple of benches and a flower 'fountain' at this important 'gateway' into Whaley Bridge. 

Any more ideas where out town can be imprioved? 

Edited by user 29 November 2009 15:46:12(UTC)  | Reason: typo

nce  
#16 Posted : 29 November 2009 20:44:18(UTC)
nce

Barrie,

All this is great, but I had not heard the proposal regarding the bench. Where has this come from? I am asking because it gives me pause for concern. We already get a lot of street noise in summer time when the Board in is still in full swing at 2am. We also know that this corner is a favoured "Cheerio!" point for youngsters going their separate ways after a night out in Manchester or Buxton. I fear that a bench placed on that corner will first result in some sleepless nights for my family, then some calls to "Shut up please" from my window, and, if that fails, the Police will be called.

I am dead sorry, but while I favour the junction being prettified (I had half an idea to put the bulbs in myself - I put some in last year, but remedial works destroyed them), I will likely be inclined to resist a bench. Of course, my voice will be but one in the chorus, but I thought it worth mentioning that there are other factors to consider.

Best,

Nige.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#17 Posted : 02 December 2009 19:56:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

At the end of the day all these roads get improved it’s just a case of biding your time.

Look at the improvements made at Winnats Pass over the last few years since the Mam Torr road collapsed:

I agree with Beverley Macca on this subject.

Where are you Bev?

R. S-S

H  
#18 Posted : 03 December 2009 18:06:06(UTC)

Groups: Guest

wow thats a great photo. Ive just driven up there on my way home. And to think that photos only 2 years old............. How quickly the road has improved and how quickly fashion changes too. Im sure I saw the same sheep too

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 03 December 2009 18:24:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening H,

Yes I have to agree with you a fine piece of highway improvement in such a short space of time. Quite remarkable really; take note Whaley council.

And the reason for this upgrade: A minor road slip that the Council appears to have forgotten about.

A pick-up truck, three labourers 2000 road cones and a couple of barrows of tarmac would have put that right one afternoon I would have thought.

R. S-S

Beverley_Macca  
#20 Posted : 03 December 2009 23:49:29(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

I'm here Mr RSS - great to see you back.

Sorry, I've been busy registering the domain name www.repavingonchapelroad.com

Your postcard above should be entitled "Did the Earth really move for you?"

That's my smut for now... back to you!

Edited by user 03 December 2009 23:51:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified