logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 29 October 2009 09:08:41(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

We are fortunate in having a little living history in the form of regular visits by traditional trading narrowboats.  Two of these craft "Anne" and "Alton" can be seen supplying diesel, coal etc to our community of moored boats.  Both cover a large area and seem to have thriving businesses.

Anne was built in 1960 by E C Jones of Brentford for British Waterways and sold by them in the 1980's.  This type of boat was unusual in having a steel cover to the hold instead of the more usual tarpaulin.

Alton is a much older boat having been built by Harland and Wolff in 1936 for The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company. She is now owned by Brian McGuigan and is based in Furness Vale.

Alton was previously operated by George Boyle who can sometimes be seen steering the Judith Mary.  George now owns the canal tug "Sandbach".  This was built by Yarwoods of Northwich in 1946 for the L.M.S. Railway Co.

Much of the development of this area was as a result of the building of canals and the trade which they brought.  It is good to see them still being used commercially.

The 19th Century census shows a number of boatmen living in Bridgemont and Whaley.  These people would no doubt be engaged in local trading as the long distance canal carriers lived on their boats.  A number of canal carriers operated until the early 1970's but then rapidly died out as they were no longer competitive.  The last company trading in the North West was the Anderton Company of Northwich.  The boatmen were extremely proud of the appearance of their craft.  They often worked very long hours for little pay.  They lived and raised their families in very confined spaces.  These people maintained a tradition which dated back to the 18th Century and lived within a culture of their own.

The Bridgemont Gallery of Derek Marshall also has a waterways background having at one time been the workshop of a narrowboat painter.  I see that Mr Marshall has recently painted a number of local canal scenes.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1030032.jpg
P1020576.jpg
P1040676.jpg
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2009 12:14:16(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hello Parabuild

Thank you for the interesting photos and information about the canal boats/people in Whaley. I think I can add a little more to this by saying not only were canalboat people living on their boats during the census times they were also living in cottages in Whaley.

A branch of my family tree originated in Rugby but went on the canals. My g.g.g.grandfather Richard was a boatman (on the 1861 census he is living on land in Middlewich), all of his sons, and his Brother Thomas, were on the boats as well. Thomas married a girl from Whaley Bridge andsome of their children were born in the area. His daughter Emma was married to a boatman and they were living for a while in Vaux Row in Whaley. Richard's son John married a Whaley girl, he spent the rest of his life in Whaley and he too lived in Vaux Row when first married. John, his wife Mercy, his son Arthur and adopted son Albert are all buried in Taxal Church.

I think it must have been quite a hard life but it was a way of earning a living and of course there was a lot of industry around Whaley which the canal served.

Gnats

Edited by user 29 October 2009 12:16:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2009 18:38:14(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Thank you Gnats for adding to my posting about narrowboats.  I was interested to read that you have a family connection to the canals.  It was quite common for various members of the same family to be engaged in that occupation, often this extended over several generations.  

At one time, back in the late 60's I had a small boat moored at Bulls Bridge in West London.  This was also the base for Willow Wren, a canal carrying company and a successor to British Waterways in the South of England.  I got to know a number of the boating families who were often moored up there for long periods between loads.  I also frequently met the Blue Line crews. 

I am currently trying to digitally improve a number of old colour slides of working boats. Unfortunately none of these are from local canals.

parabuild  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2010 01:14:25(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Gnatalee recommends the book "Ramlin Rose" by Sheila Stewart.  This is available from Amazon where a sample chapter is previewed. The price is £6.48 so I shall order a copy.  On the same topic "Maiden's Trip" by Emma Smith is also available from Amazon.  This is the story of three women recruited during the war to work narrowboats on the Grand Union Canal;  a sort of waterborne Land Army.  This book describes the culture of the canals, the lives and superstitions of the working boatpeople. A rather outdated account but still a fascinating read.

I have uploaded a number of photos of working narrowboats to Picasa :

picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/CanalsAndNarrowboats# 

These date from the 60's and 70's. There are no local pictures but they may interest some members. The quality is not good as they were all scanned from slides.

I haven't seen narrowboat Alton for quite some time. This is one of the working boats frequently seen delivering fuel to Whaley and based in Furness. Brian McGuigan's "Blog" gives an account of his progress.

furnessvale.blogspot.com/  

Seems that he has been having trouble with ice. Winter weather was always a problem for boatmen as they were paid by the load. Being iced up sometimes for lengthy periods meant great hardship.

Edited by user 07 January 2010 01:16:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified