logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Radar  
#1 Posted : 03 November 2009 13:13:03(UTC)
Radar

Groups: Member

Dear All,

There seems to have been a flurry of fantastic new photographs added to the forum so I have added the ones I have noticed to Flickr. I hope nobody minds.

They can be found at the following link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/whaleybridge/

Please feel free to add comments to the photos.

Kind regards,

Radar

Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2009 14:41:10(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi Radar !  (Sorry originally got wrong name  !)

They look very good ! Its a nice opportunity to see the photos without trawling through the messages or trying to remember which one a photo was in. Good job

Gnats

Edited by user 03 November 2009 16:56:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2009 16:40:33(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

That's great Radar.

Thank you!

Edited by user 03 November 2009 16:41:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2009 18:06:51(UTC)
G. Jackson

I think Radar has overstepped the mark here,  the people who have posted photos on the forum should have been asked first if their photos could be put  on a world-wide forum. I know that this forum is available world-wide but it seems different and more personal. Some of these photos have been purchased and cost quite a lot .

I'm also very grateful that he did not put the photos of Old Silverheels on Flickr as I hold the full copyright to them. The ones featured in the Buxton Advertiser, the Stockport Express , Macclesfield Express and shown on TVs Look North are all being dealt with by my solicitors Hunt, Lunt and Curuthers.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2009 18:51:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well I never thought I would see the day but I have to agree with G Jackson on this occasion.

Firstly I am sure Radar has done what he has done with the best of intentions and I must agree it is certainly easier to look through the photos now via that link.

I have also used Flikr to load the photos on the forum and I have always clicked the Private Button before finally loading them. As Fedup will tell you this has taken me months to achieve.

I view this forum as an intimate discussion between, on the main, friends. I personally know quite a few of the contributors and as I have said I am very pleased that people are interested in our local history but I did think I was sharing the photos with Whaley Bridge people and not a world wide audience. OK as Jackson says anybody in the world can log in to the Whaley forum but it is doubtful if any outsiders do.
I would have liked to have kept the thing a bit more personal and I think perhaps Radar might have thought to have contacted me via this forum and asked some advice.
I would have asked him to collate them all via the Private availability on Flikr and then uploaded them all on to a new topic on the Whaley Bridge discussion forum. That would have been much better and people could keep referring to that particular topic and Radar could have added to his collection on a weekly basis.

As regards costs, referred to by Jackson, there are sometimes substantial costs involved. Last night a photo of Chapel Golf Club, that I was interested in, sold for £31.01 at auction. Another one in Chapel, that I was very interested in recently, sold for nearly £60; so yes there are sometimes costs. I have bought several new photos and postcards this week.

At the end of the day I want the people of Whaley and Horwich End to be able to look at their history and not just with a set of photos but a bit of education and description at the same time. Preferably with a bit of a laugh thrown in.

I suppose no damage has been done and any copyright will have long gone but please Radar let me know if it is possible to load all the old photos on to a new topic on here. I’m sure you can do it and you will be doing a great service to the people of Whaley at the same time.

Good lad,

R. S-S

Radar  
#6 Posted : 03 November 2009 19:12:47(UTC)
Radar

Dear All,

I was only trying to help.

The link is no longer available as I have made the photos private.

Edited by user 03 November 2009 19:31:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 03 November 2009 20:33:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Radar,

Please do not get me wrong your efforts are to be appreciated.

You have put a lot of work in and that is very much to your credit.

I want to see all these photos in one place. I have emailed Cllr Jon Goldfinch to see if he could arrange it.
You have shown the ability to do just that. You should be very pleased with yourself; as I say it is a credit to you. I wish I could do it.

If you want to contact Cllr Jon he has my email address and I certainly have no objections to him giving it to you so that we can talk. In fact it would be a pleasure.

I would be most impressed if you could put all the old photos on a new thread on here because I have quite a few more to put on with the appropriate text. You could then take the photos and put them on on a weekly basis.

We could work together to do this if you like? I think that would be a great thing for the Whaley Forum.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 08 November 2009 10:24:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Radar,

I hope you are making progress with the new topic which will be solely for you to put photos on.

If you need any help please contact me via the forum or by getting my email address from Jon Goldfinch.

Whilst on the subject of old photos can we have requests from people for any old photos that they would like to see.

I can start it off with a few I would like to see:

1. Park Hall swimming pool at Little Hayfield.

2. Whaley Bridge Golf Course.

3. Whaley Bridge Picture House. (I know that George has one of this and it was on the last forum)

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2009 11:06:45(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi

I would be interested to see more school photos - fascinating. I also find the pictures of the village and its people helpful in prodding the memory of my dear old Dad - a Whaley Lad born and bred (and now living in exile !) He loves seeing them.

Thank you.

Gnats

Edited by user 08 November 2009 11:08:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2009 08:24:24(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I would like to see historic photos of Furness Clough colliery and tramway,  Shallcross sidings and of local pubs especially those which are now closed.  Does anybody have a picture of the Jolly Sailor in Furness ?  It would also be interesting to see the photos posted on the old forum; I am sure that I must have missed some gems.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 09 November 2009 17:09:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Mr Parabuild,

I certainly haven’t got a photo of the Jolly Sailor but your best bet is to call on Richard Spencer at the village shop. He has a lot of old photos of Furness.

Talking of Furness and the Jolly Sailor did you know that there was a house very close by that was occupied by two actresses and they performed mostly in Germany? Apparently they were rather friendly with a certain Mr Adolph Hitler.

I do agree with you though that the changing faces of local pubs is a fascinating subject.

We shall have to wait to see if we get any snaps from anyone.
I think the Board Inn in Whaley has changed its appearance at least three times.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#12 Posted : 09 November 2009 17:14:14(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Parabuild,

As I recall, Jim Fox's two volume pictorial history of the Buxton Line has a number of pictures of the Shallcross sidings. These books are still in print, and I think you should be able to get copies from the Brierlow Bar bookshop. I have to declare an interest, as they include several pictures from my late Grandfather's extensive collection.

ISBN 978-0-870119-85-9

ISBN 978-1-870119-86-3

http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=5655

RB

Edited by user 09 November 2009 17:17:16(UTC)  | Reason: Add link

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
parabuild  
#13 Posted : 10 November 2009 07:43:50(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Thank you for your advice R.S-S and RB.  I know Richard of course but did not know of his photo collection.  I will seek his help.  The thespian connection with the Third Reich is news to me.

I have seen the Buxton line books but have only taken a brief look. Perhaps these can be borrowed from the library.