logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob Bowker  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2009 10:01:34(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Groups: Member

Apparantly there was an accident on Whaley Lane about 08.50am on Tuesday morning. According to the Buxton Advertiser, three people were taken to hospital, one by air ambulance, (where did that manage to land?). Whaley and Buxton fire and rescue teams were in attendance.

Although I live on Whaley Lane, I knew nothing of any of this until I read the paper. The question I have is what could cause such a serious accident on a road like this at that time in the morning when there are numerous children about on their way to school. It is quite frightening really. The fact that people were trapped in vehicles and sustained serious injury implies a speed related incident. Is a prosecution likely?

There has been a lot of communication from residents and the County Council about the road surface and particularly speeding on Whaley Lane but this all seems to have died a natural death by virtue of the County Council dragging it's feet (usual ploy to let things fade away). More and more vehicles seem to use this route as a rat run to avoid the A6. You have to see the antics and speeds of some of these people to believe it.  Residents have said for long enough that it is an accident waiting to happen.

But it is not just on the staight stretches, but how often do you negotiate the Z bend at the bottom of the hill to meet some muppet coming at some speed the opposite way and partly on your side of the road? Funny how it is usually the smaller hatches that seem to need the most room rather than the bigger cars, vans, 4x4s etc.

Imanust  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2009 11:31:15(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I think the Air Ambulance landed on the fields above Hill Drive, I didnt know it was attending a scene in Whaley Bridge so I was assuming it was just G-MEDS (local Air Ambulance Helicopter) on its way to one of the Moors.

Hill Drive is notoriously tricky in Winter, not only for drivers but pedestrians too with slippery Leaves and Snow/Ice build up in Winter that is rarely cleared away. Not to mention the death-trap of the railings that poke out just before you get to the bottom of the hill near to the Train Station, how the council can think its appropriate for anyone with pushchairs and small children to negotiate this facing oncoming traffic is beyond me.

I wish the 3 people involved in Tuesdays accident all the best however, we all have to be careful at this time of year when the mornings and afternoons are dark again.

Hardworker  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2009 13:57:21(UTC)

Groups: Guest

This is all new to me and I hope the people involved are recovering well.  Speeding on Whaley Lane is dreadful - I have been overtaken twice in the last month - I'm not a slow driver but I always stick to speed limits in resedential areas.   The first time I was overtaken there was a near collision between the overtaking vehicle and a vehicle emerging from Jodrell.  The second time I was overtaken was at the top of Whaley Lane on a blind bend - so the driver was very lucky not to cause an accident then.

I am also noticing a really large increase in people texting or talking on their mobiles whilst driving more accidents waiting to happen.

Then of course there are the people who can't seem to get past 30mph on the Whaley Bridge to Buxton Road..............