logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2009 21:52:14(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I'm told this picture from Devious shows Whaley Bridge Band playing at the Kettleshulme Rose Queen event around 1960. I'm struggling to get my bearings here, but if that is the Swan pub in the background, then this event seems to have taken place on the ground where the plant nursery now is.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 02 December 2009 21:55:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
wbband.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Fedup  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2009 22:26:59(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good grief, Cllor Jon!! That's a very large photo.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2009 19:31:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good evening to you Jon,

Good photo but as Fedup says a bit on the large size. We used to have 4 American style bill boards in Whaley and you could have put the photo on any one of those. But good stuff anyway.

The plant nursery you refer to is David Ross’ (almost a cartoon character but a very good friend); in 1960 his nursery would not have been developed to the extent it is today and you may be right as to the location.
The playing fields seem a bit too far away but you would have assumed that the Rose Queen event would have taken place on the playing field. So at the end of the day I really do not know.

One gentleman in the photo appears to be local Kettleshulme resident Mr Peter Lockyear who worked at Edwin Wild’s butchers but for confirmation of that we may need to look for advice from Silver Surfer.

R. S-S
Devious  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2009 19:52:27(UTC)
Devious

R S S.

The rose queen event used to be in the field which is now the nursery. The Swan Inn is in the back of the picture. The playing field had not been built at the time the picture was taken. In the picture are two of the Boothby family and one of the Fidler family and I was out of sight, probably in the Bulls Head. The band conductor was a Mr Bennett. In the other picture of Whaley School 1935 my father was 3rd from the left on the back row.

Devious