logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2009 13:01:29(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I noticed that the Wikipedia article on New Mills refers to a great flood that struck Whaley Bridge in 1872. This is also mentioned in John Warren's diary :

"1872 Tuesday Night June 18th a very large Flod at Whaley Bridge the Flod Did a deal of Dammage at Mr G HIGINBOTON Works at Shallcross and at the Goyt Mills and also at the Print Works it took the Bridge at the Print Works and a risivoi Bursted Belonging to the Print Works Mr SHELDONS resorvoi Bursted at Ketelshume Belonging to the Bump Mill"  ( http://www.disley.net/john_warren_diary2.html )

Does anyone out there know more about this incident?

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
RockBanker  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2009 17:22:36(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks to Clem Rutter for pointing me at this: http://www.stevelewis.me.uk/page28.php, which contains a newspaper report from the time (scroll to end) . The Goyt 14 feet above its normal level !

Edited by user 03 December 2009 17:28:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2009 18:08:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good evening to you once again RB,

Raise a glass this evening and toast Sam Fox of Bradwell if you will. He certainly deserves it I’m sure you will agree.

I copy for your enjoyment my post of July 28th on Tyke’s topic on page 9 on the general discussion board which he entitled: “Has anything happened in Whaley since June”.

“It was the 137th anniversary of the great Goyt Valley Flood which roared through the Gunpowder Mill causing damage to the Mill itself, ruining most of the gunpowder, swept away the footbridge and tramway including the iron rails.

Like you Tyke I don’t know if there were any celebrations this June in Whaley in remembrance of this event. What a pity.

R. S-S”

Obviously I have no photographic records of that event but I have a snapshot of the Hayfield flood in 1930 somewhere. When I find it I’ll put it on here over the weekend. That’s if my head is still above water.

In the meantime here is a photo of an earlier flood in New Mills in 1906.

My advice to you is get your rubber dingy inflated if this weather continues pal.

R. S-S

tyke  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2009 20:06:18(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I did some years ago now own a boat, but not anymore. Maybe If this weather continues (and I believe its going to) I should get another one. Though where I live now...up the hill a bit, if it floods that deep. Well, in the words of private Frazer "We're all doomed"!

Dora Gibson  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2009 23:35:47(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Where's your canoe when you need one?

What a fantastic picture and thank you the Royal S.S. it is much appreciated.

Dora
Bob Bowker  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2009 08:38:29(UTC)
Bob Bowker

In  his posting on 3rd December, Rockbanker made reference to a Clem Rutter. I wondered if this gentleman is a former resident of Heaton Chapel in Stockport?

My late father Roland Bowker had a very good chum there by the name of Clem Rutter.

RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2009 08:56:47(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Bob Bowker wrote:

In  his posting on 3rd December, Rockbanker made reference to a Clem Rutter. I wondered if this gentleman is a former resident of Heaton Chapel in Stockport?

My late father Roland Bowker had a very good chum there by the name of Clem Rutter.

Bob - You can post a message to him on  his Wikipedia talk page here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:ClemRutter  to find out.