logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mikeann  
#21 Posted : 08 December 2009 16:08:56(UTC)
Mikeann

Groups: Member

while I think about it - any ideas as to the sort of index(ing) would be best? If all the photos are in one thread then it will still be a big one. it may be better to have a few threads on different tyoes of topics , say places, people and events ? any thoughts ??
G. Jackson  
#22 Posted : 08 December 2009 16:49:13(UTC)
G. Jackson

Buildings.

People.

Events.

Miscellaneous.

If you were to post a photo on any theme as before and it showed a building for instance it could also be put on the "photos buildings"  page.

Any other ideas?

Edited by user 08 December 2009 16:51:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 08 December 2009 16:54:42(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Mikeann wrote:
while I think about it - any ideas as to the sort of index(ing) would be best? If all the photos are in one thread then it will still be a big one. it may be better to have a few threads on different tyoes of topics , say places, people and events ? any thoughts ??

Hello Mike,

I can see what you are getting at here and I agree it will possibly/probably become a problem.

There are a couple of ways of looking at it and, of course, looking at it from my view this is how I see it:

If I put say 200 photos on a disc and gave them to the administrators or whoever and they were put on a web site (the photos not the administrators) you would get very few people to view them. And those that did would flick through them and by the time they had had their tea would have forgotten 99% of them.

As it is now a topic is introduced such as “The extension to Jam Butty Hill” and a couple of photos are loaded on to that topic and it arouses peoples interest, a discussion starts with a few people taking part and asking questions: “Hmm so that is why the start of the road is Reservoir Road and not Whaley Lane, I never knew that”
Well they do now and they will always remember it. If they just saw the photo they would have no idea.
That is why I think photos should be introduced slowly. So as not to over-face people if you like.

For instance I have a very nice photo in front of me now taken from Horwich End Sidings and looking across the open fields before the gas works and gasometers were built. Even before Seymour Silks building was on Chapel Road and you can see straight across to the old Nat West Bank. If you flicked through a series of 50 photos you would probably never remember it. It may not even register with you just what you were looking at but if there is a bit of dialogue it raises people’s awareness and interest.
By all means collate them in some form, that is a splendid idea, but we can not simply put the whole of Old Whaley on in one go.
It would be forgotten about within a week and the forum would return to its bland old self.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#24 Posted : 08 December 2009 17:07:49(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Now, thats interesting.

I always thought Seymour Silks, as the Gas Showrooms, would have been built AFTER the gas works, not before as is implied above.

I'd also assumed that the sidings at Horwich End were provided mainly to service the gas works, so my interest has been definitely been stimulated by the promise of this photograh.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#25 Posted : 08 December 2009 18:22:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good evening to you Buggyite,

Perhaps I did not choose my words as well as I should have done but obviously comments on an old photo raise interest in that subject as you have so aptly demonstrated.

Just for your delight and delectation I shall post that photo and as a bonus, just for you, one of the construction of Seymour Silks.
I think both the Gas Works and Gas Showrooms were built at the same time 1927.

But you’ll have to wait till a bit later on this evening; I’m going to have my tea now.

See you in a bit B.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#26 Posted : 08 December 2009 20:31:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening once again B,

Now fed and watered I’m back with you.

The first photo I apologise is not quite from the Sidings but I’m sure you get the drift. And there is the famous ‘Goat’.

The second picture is of the building of the Gas Showrooms (Seymour Silk).

Incidentally B, if you do hail from Bugsworth, you will have seen, close to the Old Bull’s Head, a quite famous property with its former use spelled out in the pointing on the gable end. Or so I’m told.

Anyway the property is there and so is the pointing.

R. S-S

Mikeann  
#27 Posted : 09 December 2009 14:47:37(UTC)
Mikeann

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

If I put say 200 photos on a disc and gave them to the administrators or whoever and they were put on a web site (the photos not the administrators) you would get very few people to view them. And those that did would flick through them and by the time they had had their tea would have forgotten 99% of them.

As it is now a topic is introduced such as “The extension to Jam Butty Hill” and a couple of photos are loaded on to that topic and it arouses peoples interest, a discussion starts with a few people taking part and asking questions: “Hmm so that is why the start of the road is Reservoir Road and not Whaley Lane, I never knew that”
Well they do now and they will always remember it. If they just saw the photo they would have no idea.
That is why I think photos should be introduced slowly. So as not to over-face people if you like.

R S-S I think you have misunderstood me.

What I am suggesting is

that instead of 'losing' all the photos in the various threads and then having to struggle to remember in which thread a particular photo was,

is that the photo is still attached to the appropriate thread ( i.e. the extension to Jam Butty Hill" ),

but that we also  have a separate gallery of photos linking back to the thread/contributor, so that people could look at the photos and then read the appropriate thread.

This way, as I see it, we do not 'lose' the photo and people could then access them without trawling through numerous threads unless they had an interest.

Does this make sense ?

Mike

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#28 Posted : 09 December 2009 15:35:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your kind reply. I will, of course, go along with anything you say.

My point was, and I may not have made it very well, this:

I agree the photo library as it stands will get too large and become a problem. But we must introduce photos on a limited basis so that they can be discussed. Then they should go into a sort of library.

As an example last evening I had a bit of dialogue with Buggyite and asked him if he knew of the famous building in Bugsworth that had its former usage pointed in cement on the gable wall.

I don’t personally know if the story is true or not but I remember the building being re-pointed years ago and the builders/pointers were asked to do part of the pointing in this fashion.
Now if I went and took a photo of the wall and it was put in a photo library absolutely nobody would give it a second look or a second thought.

This way Buggyite may have had his interest aroused and may have a look round or some in the Navigation may discuss it and someone may very well know the answer and then we may get another post or even a photo from someone showing the pointing. So the subject is discussed and everyone has gained a bit more knowledge of the village’s history. If it went into a photo album then nobody would be any the wiser.

So yes is the answer let us have a library of some kind where all the photos can be viewed but they should be copied from the forum as they are put on.

I might be saying exactly the same as you are I don’t really know but if I can be of any help in any way just let me know.

R. S-S
buggyite  
#29 Posted : 09 December 2009 16:10:21(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I'll have a look for this pointing this evening, when I take a stroll down for a couple of pints in t'club.

As the club is still the club, unless somebody has put "BATH HOUSE" in the pointing there, I can't see it being that.

As you mentioned The Old Bull's Head, I can't see it being that, but possibly it might be the Chapel virtually next door; though I'm sure there is proper inscribed masonry showing its former use.

If its the former railway station, the gable ends aren't visible from the road.

I'm leaning towards the former shop into which the Navigation was extended, but I'd hardly describe that as "famous". Mind you, that goes for all the other buildings I've mentioned!

Mr Stevenson-Smythe is right, a bit of discussion DOES add to the memorability of photographs

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 09 December 2009 17:43:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well thank you for those kind words B,

If you say you are going down to the club for a couple of scoops, then you will not be going far enough, unless you live on the other side of the valley that is, and none of the buildings you mention have the inscription.

I may have this wrong but I believe the house was made famous in one of those TV programmes where the owner was selling or it may have been used as a comparison price as to other properties in the area.

Anyway your investigations this evening will reveal all no doubt. If they don’t I’ll let you know anyhow.

Best wishes with your detective work and have a nice drink and a pleasant evening.

R. S-S
buggyite  
#31 Posted : 09 December 2009 17:59:34(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Hmmmm,

Sounds like Gnathole School to me now. You confused me by saying it was close to the Bull's Head. It's nearer to the Rose & Crown.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 09 December 2009 18:13:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well it’s not much of a walk from here you know.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#33 Posted : 09 December 2009 19:27:10(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear R S-S, many thanks for the photo of The Bull's Head. What memories it brought back to me, I used to go in there nearly every day. As a matter of interest the house in the centre of the photo which was demolished to make the club's car park  used to be the home of the Smith family. These Smiths are now all over the Whaley area, one being a postman, the other an ex-fireman now taxi driver plus about 4 more.

Edited by user 09 December 2009 19:28:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#34 Posted : 09 December 2009 21:12:29(UTC)
Gnatalee

Gnathole School - hmmm, that name brings back memories for me, in that my Grandad went to Gnathole School (or as he called it "Gnathole College") and he told us that at one stage he and the other children came out on "strike" (at his instigation, the story is told) but I don't know what for !!!

When I visited Whaley Library last summer I did take copies of a number of items about Gnathole School, I never saw anything about such an event but even so, it made very interesting reading !!

Gnats

P.S:    R.S-S - I love the photo you posted - could those people in the picture be related to me?  Who knows !! 

Edited by user 09 December 2009 21:18:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#35 Posted : 10 December 2009 12:39:18(UTC)
G. Jackson

With regard to The Gnat Hole School the only person still alive that I know of who went there is Rolf West the electrician in New Mills. His  large family lived over the road from the school. There may be others alive but all my relatives that went there are now in St. James's back yard.

Now back to the photo library. How about another main heading, we already have  general discussions and history, how about another for photographs. This could have many subsections like people, events, buildings, celebrations, nature(including if necessary birds which do not belong to W/B)  and many more. When anyone posts a photo in a topic they could also post it in the photo album under the right category. In the future if you wanted to look at just pubs for instance in the area you could look in photo album under buildings. At present there are photos  of many pubs in the area ( nearly all contributed by Mr. R. S-S  thanks again ) but to find them all would take hours as they are hidden in nearly every topic. 

Edited by user 10 December 2009 12:40:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mikeann  
#36 Posted : 10 December 2009 12:55:07(UTC)
Mikeann

that's the plan - but it may be some days
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#37 Posted : 10 December 2009 13:04:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Mike,

All the photos I have posted on the forum I have uploaded via Flickr so it would be a simple matter for me to copy them into a library.

I think this is a very good idea by G Jackson and the only one he’s ever had as far as I can tell.

So well done to him.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#38 Posted : 12 December 2009 13:21:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

buggyite wrote:

Hmmmm,

Sounds like Gnathole School to me now. You confused me by saying it was close to the Bull's Head. It's nearer to the Rose & Crown.

Have you found it yet Mr Buggyite?

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#39 Posted : 12 December 2009 16:59:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Buggyite, Whilst you are looking for whatever R S-S has posed for you,  perhaps you could ask some of the locals which garden the statue went from,  that was bought by, I believe, by a visiting USA man in the 50's. My mother always called it "Piffy on a Rock-Bun" I remember seeing it prominently  in a garden in Bugsworth.Thinking about it there are not many houses in Bugsworth that could comfortably fit a large statue in the garden. It was white/ish and probably marble and much larger than lifesize. I don't have a photograph of this but someone may have one. 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#40 Posted : 28 December 2009 18:10:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening to you Buggyite,

I have just seen you logged-on and viewing another topic and this has pushed a sort of response button within my brain that suggested we had some unfinished business.

So I have trawled through the various discussions and I now find myself back with you here.

I apologise that I have left you dangling, trapeze like, waiting for the pointing revelation in your fair town.

Years ago I watched some workmen re-pointing the gable wall of a property in Buggy. It is the property on the left, next up from the Navi going back towards the main road. Well at least I think it is; I should really go and have a look before I come on here, but as I say you have been dangling too long already and we want to get you down for the New Year.

I’m fairly sure the property featured on one of those dreadful ‘location, location, location’ shows on the telly a couple of years ago. It caught my attention because of the pointing works I had seen many years earlier but no mention was made of it.

Well back to the pointing: the owner of the building made the men carefully cut out some stone and they then had to re-point it with the letters YH or maybe YHA. It’s still there and plain to see.

I asked the owner the obvious question and he told me the building was once a Youth Hostel.

That’s all I know of this matter Buggyite but you may now come down and make further investigations yourself.

I’m glad I remembered you and have a Happy New Year in Buggy.

R. S-S