logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curious  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2009 18:42:14(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

Here's another photo from my bag - my Dad is on it and so I guess as he was born in 1930 and looks about 12 - it must be early 1940s.  There are no young men on it as I assume they would have been fighting in WWII.

Does anybody know what the performance was and can they name anyone on it?

Edited by user 15 December 2009 18:44:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious attached the following image(s):
Methodist Panto_Play 1940s.jpg
G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2009 00:04:37(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Curious, the people in the photo look like they are 12-13. I think the reason only a few males are in the photo is the usual excuse of being scared rather than the men going to war, I didn't join up until I was well over 13 years old.
george  
#3 Posted : 16 December 2009 11:37:38(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Curious,

I recognise 4 people on it.

Back row, on the left, Irene Ward (now Sidebotham) Joan Plant (Gostick) Mildred Arnfield (Morten) far right Elsie Joule but I don't her married name. I don't recognise the boy, however, if I could have a copy (you could always leave it in a envolope at Footsteps marked George Hill) or if I could print it off I expect I could identify some more. I guess it was taken 1946 or later.

It was taken in the yard nearest the bridge 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 16 December 2009 13:06:58(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon to you Mrs Curious and also to you George,

This is a photo of The Juvenile Missionary Association which raised funds for Africa (1942/43).

You are spot on with your 4 identifications George.

What do you think of these additions?

In front of Irene Ward is Frank Downes and next to him is Susan Lomas; just in front of Joan Plant and Mildred Arnfield is Barbara Brocklehurst; next to Mildred is Gordon Hill and next to Gordon is Reenie Bennett next to her is Dereck Winfield and next to Dereck, in full costume and holding the poster is Margaret Turner.
On the back row next to Elsie Joule is Harold Ormerod.
The girl in white in the centre could be a Miss Lomas and the girl right at the front is possibly Elaine Livesley and her Dad, Frank, was probably the photographer.

Thank you so much for the photo Mrs Curious. I was a little sceptical about your Great Uncle Inkerman but now realise this was 100% correct and obviously I have deduced who you are. But on here Curious you will remain.
Once again if you get in touch with the good Councillor Jon he will provide you with my email address if he hasn’t done so already.

R. S-S

Edited by user 16 December 2009 17:39:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2009 19:33:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello once again to you George and Mrs Curious,

I have put a few names to the personnel on the photo of the Juvenile Missionary Association. I think they are correct but don’t shoot me if there is the odd mistake.

R. S-S

George,

Here is another photo on similar lines. I would hazard a guess at 1957. They look like an odd bunch alright. Anybody you recognise George?

R. S-S

snowy  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2009 07:51:26(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

No doubt George recognises them all, apart from the serious-looking young man at the front on the left.

george  
#7 Posted : 17 December 2009 11:39:27(UTC)
george

Hi R S-S

I am amazed how few people I recognised on the J.M.A. photo, if I had been able to copy it and enlarge  it I am sure I could have done better but it wouldn't let me. You did well R S-S, I thought one might be Gordon Hill but wasn't sure (he lived up Horwich End).I too noted Uncle Inkermans name earlier Curious and suspected who you might be but didn't know which one.

Now the other photo is not unknown to me, however there are one or two people whose names I cannot not remember. Can you tell me who took it snowy? It can't be   Frank Livesley.

george    

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2009 12:21:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello George,

Did Frank have a timer on his camera by any chance?

R. S-S
snowy  
#9 Posted : 17 December 2009 12:28:27(UTC)
snowy

He looks too cool and collected to have rushed back to his seat after pressing the timer.

Could Uncle Inkerman have taken it?

Edited by user 17 December 2009 12:29:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 17 December 2009 17:51:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Probably a bit doubtful, Snowy.

I think Uncle Inkerman went to the Promised Land in the late 40’s and he didn’t quite make a century.

George may confirm the photo was taken in 1957.

So I think, barring exhumations and such like, we must look for another photographer here.

We did have our very own David Bailey in Horwich End around that time but I’m not sure if he was the famed photographer.

You would know better than me on that one Snowy.

R. S-S
Curious  
#11 Posted : 18 December 2009 14:25:40(UTC)
Curious

Woman

I don’t think Uncle Inkerman died until 1957 (see Cheshire BMD), so could he still be in the frame?

Edited by user 19 December 2009 18:17:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snowy  
#12 Posted : 18 December 2009 14:54:39(UTC)
snowy

If this website http://www.tribalpages.com/family-tree/brownsfamilytree is reliable he died in 1959 aged 81, so maybe it's not completely impossible. It does seem unlikely though.

And David Bailey might have been a bit too young to wield the camera. But George must know who took it.

The one that intrigues me is the chap with the chimney pots on his shoulder. Possibly R S-S knows who he is.

G. Jackson  
#13 Posted : 18 December 2009 15:59:38(UTC)
G. Jackson

I think "chimney pots" is/was the local scout leader,(for the Methodists troop not the Taxal troop so that fits in) we went to Dunham Massey Park quite a long time ago, I have a better photo of him cooking on an open fire (that's what we scouts are good at after all) with his very old car in the photo. I'll try to look for it, but I'm not promising anything after all it may not be Arkala (sp).

george  
#14 Posted : 18 December 2009 18:06:23(UTC)
george

Yes you are correct R S-S it was taken in 1957, I can't who took it.

george 

Gnatalee  
#15 Posted : 18 December 2009 21:43:22(UTC)
Gnatalee

Snowy (post 12)

Thank you for the Tribal Pages link - that was really interesting. In fact, I had a look to see if there was any link to my family - a few of the names are interesting and need investigating ! It did make me check though, that my tree on Tribal Pages wasn't available for everyone to investigate!

For anyone wanting to set up a tree for their family to look at you can use the basic Tribal Pages site for putting on information - it is free and you can password-protect it.   Remember - you are tomorrow's history. Your memories and stories of today are actually history to young people of the future. I wish my relatives had written notes on family "happenings".

This forum is fantastic for recording stories, memories, pictures etc. You may not want to research your family tree but please write down what you know now about your past relatives - you may save future generations a great deal of head-scratching if they decide they want to know more about their family.

Ta ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 18 December 2009 21:44:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#16 Posted : 21 December 2009 14:54:56(UTC)
george

I am fairly sure you are right Mr. Jackson in posting 13 "chimney pots" was the scout leader. I can't remember his name can you? I seem to think he might have had some connection with the Shepherds pub what do you think?

george