logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2009 14:05:26(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Age is a terrible thing - I cannot always remember when, where or if I have posted 'Interesting' links. So forgive me if this has appeared before.

http:///ybbae3o

Edited by user 23 December 2009 09:27:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
snowy  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2009 14:56:08(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

That's a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it Rock Banker.

There were so many workings around Whaley, but if they were all closed by 1925 I wonder how many remains can still be found. Must try to get out and have a look for them when I have some time.

I noticed that one of the older members of this forum is listed as a collier under the "Masters and Men" heading on p.32, but was pleased  to see he wasn't involved in any of the malpractices mentioned on the previous page.

G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2009 15:38:23(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well spotted Snowy,

I must admit it wasn't me or my father but, seeing all those names brought back childhood memories including, for all real locals, the original Yebbie. (You may have to come from Horwich End to know the family but some of the descendants now live as far away as Whaley Bridge).

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2009 16:08:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Snowy,

You don’t have to look far.

Have a drive down from Whaley to the Corner Shop and just before the first bend you will see some yellow ochre stained water seeping through the stone wall from the old workings of the Railway Pit.
The seepage used to be very bad but seemed to have dried up over recent years but now seems to have started again. You can hear the water behind the metal grating at the side before the water discharges into the canal.
If you don’t spot it early in this weather you may well be doing a Torvill and Dean in your car.

Take care my friend.

R. S-S

Incidentally, Mr Jackson, Yebbie was banned for life from attending all football matches in England due to his foul and abusive language towards the referees.
I think the ban still stands although Yebbie doesn’t.
G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2009 23:27:53(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear R S-S, I think the "Yebbie" you refer to is the son or grandson of the "Yebbie" I am talking about. Ask Frankie he should know.

snowy  
#6 Posted : 23 December 2009 08:20:01(UTC)
snowy

Good morning RB, GJ and RSS.

Looking at the map on p.29 it appears the entrance to the Railway Pit must have been on the far side of the line from the canal, somewhere near the short tunnel under the embankment near the corner shop. In the woods between there and the new Hockerley estate there are at least two old shafts which must have been part of it. Do you know if there are any other visible traces?

I have to confess I can only guess about the identity of "Yebbie". But if it's who I think it is, is his name spelt wrongly in the article?

RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2009 15:34:53(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

The most visible mining  relic is of course the upshaft tower on the corner of Old and Bings Roads, not to mention the rather interesting angles that the Male Hen and other buildings on Buxton Road sit at. 

Edited by user 24 December 2009 10:06:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2009 17:25:04(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Snowy,

There are indeed two pit shafts in the woods just further up hill from the tunnel near The Corner Shop. The nearest to the railway line (approx. 30 feet away) was filled in and capped off quite recently in about the late 50s or early 60s. The other one still had a stone wall quite high round it last time I was there (also in the early 60s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 23 December 2009 18:25:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The Railway Pit was quite a large concern. I have seen a photo of the winding wheel but I can not remember where it is or who has got it. Further enquiries will get underway after Christmas but I think people on here would be surprised about this Pit. As I say I’ll try and dig some stuff out about it.

One other mine shaft that is of interest is the one beneath Toddbrook Reservoir. I wonder if British Waterways knew about it when they were poking about last summer and only succeeded in making easy pickings for our beloved birds who were dining in the shallow waters.

Yebbie the Elder would have had some information about it but sadly we are unable to tap his great knowledge of all things mining and refereeing.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#10 Posted : 24 December 2009 06:56:43(UTC)
Frankie

The "Yebbie" who I remember was Mr Herbert D. Am I correct RSS, GJ ?.

Edited by user 24 December 2009 06:57:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 24 December 2009 08:49:09(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Of course you are correct, Frankie.

And in a swearing contest with the Kier man in Germany Yebbie would take the prize hands down.

Where have you been? I have been worried about you.
Anyway it’s nice to see you back on here and have a very happy Christmas mate.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#12 Posted : 24 December 2009 13:16:53(UTC)
Frankie

R S-S

Was that the young Yebbie ?. All the very best to you for Christmas & New Year. Also all the very best to everyone on the Forum.