logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curious  
#1 Posted : 31 December 2009 09:58:47(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

Good Morning

Here’s another photo for discussion.  My Mum says she thinks it is the Rushbearing Festival, which on a quick Google search, was an old ceremony which took place in August every year to replace the rushes on the church floor.

On the back of the photo is stamped “Supplied by Macclesfield Times and Courier”, but the copyright must be up by now.  I can spot my Grandad, who died in 1956, and also possibly an Etchells in the middle at the front. 

Can any of the more knowledgeable contributors on this Forum provide any further information about this photo, ie which church it is(Taxal?), any more names or indeed more on the rushbearing ceremony?

I hope you all had a good Christmas and I wish you all a very Happy, Healthy New Year.

Mrs Curious
Curious attached the following image(s):
Rushbearing.JPG
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2009 12:06:47(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good Morning Mrs Curious

Fantastic photo - all those people and I don't recognise any of them !! Will have to enlist the help of Dad and see if he know anyone. It doesn't remind me of Taxal, but I am sure someone will come up with the correct location. Could it be Thomas a Beckett church at Chapel? I've never seen it but I have a copy of an old map of the churchyard (very old !) and it looks a fairly large church to me.

Look forward to hearing further input - Happy New Year.

Gnats                                                     

Edited by user 31 December 2009 12:09:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2009 17:53:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Gnatalee,

Thomas a Beckett Church in Chapel?

Derbyshire’s very own ‘Black Hole’!!

I hope not.

But I do wonder if Black Hole Row in Dove Holes was named after that church. I had never thought about it until today.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2009 19:15:40(UTC)
Gnatalee

R.S-S - please explain !!

I am a poor old "out-of-towner" and don't understand your quaint country ways of describing places. I thought Thomas a Beckett was a proper church, at least I hope so 'cos my gran was married in it !

Enlighten me please

Gnats

Edited by user 31 December 2009 19:16:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2010 09:41:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Gnatalee,

During the 17th century Chapel-en-le-Frith saw action in the English Civil War. Soldiers from the Scottish army had moved south to fight for Charles I at the Battle of Ribbleton Moor in 1648, 1,500 were captured in Preston and brought to Chapel-en-le-Frith where they were held in the church. The conditions that they were kept in were so bad that between forty and fifty of them died and many were buried in the church’s graveyard. This led to the church being known locally as ‘Derbyshire’s Black Hole’.

Travelling from Chapel to Dove Holes, just after the roundabout at Barmour Clough, you start to climb the slope into Dove Holes and you will see the twin tunnels.
One was for the Picadilly to Buxton railway and the other the Cromford; just after these tunnels there was a row of cottages and it was called ‘Black Hole Row’.
You can still make them out if you bother to look as you drive past.

When I was little these cottages were still there and I used to visit an Auntie there but I can’t remember what they were like but I always thought they were dreadfully named. I always thought they were named after a coal mine called ‘Black Hole Mine’ at Eyam.

But from yesterday I have changed my mind and think they were probably named after Thomas a Beckett Church in Chapel.

Come to think of it Noreen Abbott former landlady of the Sheps was born there so she might know or does anybody else?

R. S-S

CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2010 04:55:51(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I can't reconcile the slope that is evident in the picture with anywhere at Taxal Church, so I dont think it was taken there.

I spoke to another forum member tonight who thinks they know where it might have been taken, and who knows something of the 'rushbearing' and hopefully they will report in due course.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 03 January 2010 04:57:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Devious  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2010 22:11:33(UTC)
Devious

I think rushbearing services were held in the Wildboarclough / Macc. forest area. I think the man at the front left was possibly Phillip Warrington with his son Derek who lived in one of the cottages at Lumb Hole Mill Kettleshulme. The man sitting front centre looks a little like Charlie Brocklehurst who also lived in Kettleshulme.

Devious   

Horwich Ender  
#8 Posted : 06 January 2010 16:46:39(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Although I don't recognise any of the faces in the picture, my initial thoughts would be a Rushbearings Service at Jenkin or Forest Chapel. From the slope of the graveyard I think it is more likely to be Forest Chapel.

http://www.wildboarclough.co.uk/rushbearing_service.htm