logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 09 January 2010 10:50:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Cllr Jon and Jamie have given out warnings on here about the dangers of kids larking about on the iced over reservoirs and quite rightly so.
It is very tempting however.
I did it myself years ago on the boating lake in the Pavilion Gardens in Buxton. I fell through the ice and ended up waste deep in filthy, freezing water and had to come all the way back to Whaley on the train, wet through and shivering like I’d never shivered before. A good hiding from my Mum warmed me up a bit and another one later on from my Dad when he got home from work really did the trick. But I lived to tell this tale. Some don’t.
There have been many drownings of young people around these parts at this time of year. Just one sad example is related below:

Extract from John Warren’s. Diary

1862    Saturday November 22nd.    Elizabeth Ward was drowned in the Reservoir that belongs to Whaley Bridge Print Works.    It was not in the Company’s Reservoir, it was in that small one that is below that fine Hall.

Extract from Buxton Advertiser

29 November 1862

fatal accident.    A melancholy accident resulting in loss of life occurred at Whaley Bridge, on Saturday last, about noon.
Miss E. Ward, the only daughter of Mrs Ward, Jodrell Arms Inn, had ventured upon the ice, on a small but deep reservoir, just below the house, lately occupied by Mr Welch.  Seeing that the ice safely carried her weight Mr W. Welch and Mr T. Baxter, in frolic joined her, when the ice gave way beneath the weight of the three, and they were all for some minutes struggling in the water.    Baxter managed to get out before help came, but by the time a rope was obtained to be thrown to Mr Welch, Miss Ward, who had clung to him, relaxed her hold, and it was with difficulty he reached land without being able to save her.
Ward, the policeman, at the London and North Western Railway Station, who deserves great praise for the alacrity he displayed, seeing from the top of the chapel omnibus that something was amiss, ran across the field, and on arriving at the spot took hold of one end of the rope, and Mr S. Wyld of the other, and between them the body was recovered, but, alas! It was too late for any restoratives to be of any avail, although every effort was used by Mr Lyths.
An inquest was held on Monday, at the Jodrell Arms, when a verdict of “accidentally drowned” was returned.

A Picture of the Hall on a postcard dated 12.08.13

Looks nice but be ever watchful of the dangers of deep water.

R. S-S

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2010 12:44:40(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear R S S,

Many thanks for your good words of advise, concerning skating etc,  and Sorry to hear of your experience a few years ago in Buxton.

I had heard the story of  Miss Ward going through the Ice, and like you had read about it in John  Warren's Diary.

Some people do not realise how deep the pond is at the bottom of the Hall, but I was told a few years ago that when it was plumbed, it was said to be some  30ft deep.

Here at the Hall we  do have a map of the land as it was, showing the ground before the pond was dug out,  and when the Pond was formed the  pipes were then put in, and the Pump House built to bring the water back up to the Hall.

I am not sure what the water was used for as we had a few wells within the estate at that time, and one of the wells is at the front of the Hall.

We still own the Water rights of the Pond, and even all these years later still have the Pump !

Thank You R S S for showing us your picture of the Hall, and when you are free and not snowed in come and see some of our collections of pictures, showing Whaley Bridge, and some of the Hall as it was.

Yours as ever

Jamie

Fr Jamie

Whaley Hall

G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2010 13:02:37(UTC)
G. Jackson

At last I can put a face to the mysterious R. S-S. I can remember a scruffy little urchin on the train back from Buxton The wrech said he had been on a frozen pond and fallen through the ice into the cold pond beneath which smelled of stagnant water. Alas,  I think the scruffy teenager had had his fill of booze in the public houses of Buxton and couldn't hold his beer. He had wet himself and probably more by the smell. I was glad when the guard put him off at Whaley Bridge and opened all the windows to the cheers of many passengers. R.S-S you are uncovered but your secret is safe with me.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2010 13:38:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

That post hardly merits a response and I think the moderators should have a close look at it.

But if that incident to which you recall actually occurred, which I very much doubt, I was NOT the person to whom you refer.

When I fell through the ice I was on my way home in the late afternoon from school NOT a public house.

Even though I escaped the icy clutches of that fine boating lake unfortunately my school satchel containing all my homework sadly did not. The satchel, probably still there to this day, did not make it and I got several more beatings off various teachers the next day for loosing school property and not doing my homework.
When I told them where the books and non existent homework were I was sent to the Headmaster who gladly gave me 3 strokes of the cane he loved so much.
I think I was lucky not to be thrashed in front of the whole school and then expelled.
Thinking back I got off very lightly.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2010 13:58:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Fr Jamie,

Thank you for your very kind invitation to visit Whaley Hall.

As soon as the roads are a little better I would be very keen to accept your invitation.

I will make contact with you before my visit and I will bring you some old documentation regarding the Hall and the Welch’s.

Your pond was built by Welch’s to feed the Printworks.

R. S-S
frjamie@talktalk.net  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2010 14:15:02(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear R S S,

Many thanks for your kind email,

Will have the kettle on and look forward to welcoming you here to Whaley Hall.

On my way  in a bit for a walk to the Reservoir to see if any one is on the Ice !

Yours

Jamie

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2010 17:56:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I know history is not one of the best liked subjects in the world but I did think one of the very fine detectives on here (yes I mean you RockBanker) would have posed the question: “how did police officer Ward see the incident?”

“Ward, the policeman, at the London and North Western Railway Station, who deserves great praise for the alacrity he displayed, seeing from the top of the chapel omnibus that something was amiss, ran across the field,”

You never know he may have glanced up the mysteriously named ‘Station Road’.
At the moment I just can’t remember who brought that up or on which thread.

R. S-S