logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2010 15:24:26(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Does anyone else share my concern at the increasing number of Motorcycle Trial Bikes buzzing round our village?

It would appear that residents of the Manchester and Stockport area are using Whaley as a venue for their off road weekend pursuit of riding through fields and along public footpaths.

Last Sunday a friend of mine nearly ran into two motorcyclists who were pushing their bikes in very thick fog over Disley tops where there was some form of group gathering near Redmoor Lane. I have also seen the bikes on many occasions in Taxal, Goyt Valley and in the fields around Kettlesehulme.

I'm not sure whether the council and local farmers are allowing these bikers to use their land to generate additional income, but in my opinion they are a dangerous nuisance who are causing serious damage to our countryside and should be stopped.

CllrJonG  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2010 18:22:12(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

This 'green laning' is something which has been annoying many people. It has been placed as one of the 3 priorities for the Safer Neighbourhood Team,over this coming quarter. If you do know of particular locations where it is going on, let me know and I'll pass it on to the PCSO who is looking at it.

A great deal of damage is being done bythese bikes, and it is an increasing problem, though you wouldn't know it unless you were out and about to see  it. I saw a group of 4 trial bike riders coming off a track opposite Chapel golf course entrance the other day. I couldn't quite work out where they had been , but i doubt that track was intended for them. 

I'm sure they're not all bad though !

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
H  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2010 19:19:28(UTC)

Groups: Guest

There are some areas where trail bikes and offroaders are allowed to go. I know it can be annoying but as long as they are safe then there should be no problems. After all, if it is their hobby then why not. I know that they all dont behave responsibly however. Some parts of The Goyt Valley, Taxal moor etc do have probs with trial bikes on bridleways, footpaths etc. Some of these areas are supervised by the Peak District National Park too. Id check with them  if youre not sure whether the bikes and offroaders are allowed on certain paths. (see their website/email for advice)

Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2010 20:34:08(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Thanks CllrJonG and H, it's comforting to know there are other people who are aware of the problem.

CllrJonG, as a matter of interest, what are the other 2 priorities of the Safer Neighbourhood Team and, who are the Safer Neighbourhood Team?

parabuild  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2010 21:07:12(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I don't suppose there are any limitations of access to Long Lane between Combs and Elnor Cross. I was passed by 7 bikers last Saturday, just ordinary machines in the main.   They didn't damage the road which was frozen hard, I don't know how much their tyres suffered though.  They even gave a friendly wave.   I would not wish to interfere with their pleasure, they did however, spoil mine.  This is a remote, very peaceful road below Ladder Hill with beautiful views.  What a pity that the peace has to be shattered by so much noise.  

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1050366.jpg
CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2010 03:27:19(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Horwich Ender,

The next Safer Neighbourhood Team Meeting, is on 14th April at the Mechanics - 7pm., but there are surgeries on the 25th Feb and the 25th March at Tesco,Whaley bridge 6pm - 9pm where you can just talk to our local PCSO Tracy Jones about any problems or issues which you think police intervention could solve. Tracy is very helpful so please have a chat to her if you have a problem. Basically the Safer Neighbourhood Team meeting is set up to allow local people to express local problems which they think the police should deal with. It is a fantastic way of getting to meet with the police officers and PCSO's who deal with  Whaley Bridge, and to get your ideas across about what they should concentrate on.

For details about the Safer Neighbourhood team please go  and look at the following link:

http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/local/124.html

Anyone can turn up. The meetings are widely advertised by the police over various mediums, and they want residents to turn up.

The priorities are(in no order):

1) monitoring of speeding within Whaley Bridge - prosecutions as neccessary.

2)monitoring and action on possible drug related activities within Whaley Bridge.

3)Off road motorcycling.

To show you what sort of things are discussed and to encourage you to take part I attach the latest minutes. You will see that this is an opportunity to raise many local issues which can be dealt with by the police.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 06 February 2010 03:50:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Whaley SNT minutes Jan 2010.doc (45kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
H  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2010 09:45:40(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Hi Parabuild - Unfortunately I think motor vehicles are allowed on that lane

Horwich Ender  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2010 14:51:44(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Thanks CllrJonG for your prompt response. I must admit this does seem to be an excellent initiative.

It's also welcoming to see that two of the “Whaley Eleven” attended the Safer Neighbourhood Team meeting. I do feel it is a perception rather than a fact that other local councillors don't pull their weight. It's only a pity they don't contribute to this forum where they could share their views and achievements.

Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2011 17:57:06(UTC)
Horwich Ender

It would appear some action is being taken to solve the problems being caused by 4x4's and trial bikes using unsurfaced roads.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/new_strategy_planned_to_manage_4x4s_in_the_peak_park_1_3598276

Let's hope the new strategy goes someway to solving this increasing problem.

davethescope  
#10 Posted : 21 July 2011 22:08:09(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Peak Park are very aware of the problem and have put a Traffic Regulation Order on Chapel Gate http://www.peakdistrict....isplay-page.htm?id=25082

Whilst I really abhor grown men using 4x4s on so called "green lanes2" (which are rarely green after they have done) I have rather ambivalent feelings about youths on trail bikes. They are noisy and annoying but they are doing something, fostering an interest rather than just lounging around and grumbling that there is nothing to do in Whaley.

Edited by user 21 July 2011 22:09:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Green_Gentleman  
#11 Posted : 22 July 2011 03:39:30(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

Around Whaley Bridge the Green Lanes I believe is the track over Ladder Hill (Whaley Bridge-Combs) and Chinley Church (Buxworth-New Mills.) By recognition its an offence for 'Green Laners' to be conducting such activities on private land, farmland, farm tracks, or public right of way tracks only footpath accessible.

The Police and Peak District authorities are continually stamping out on mispractises in regards to off-track Green-Laning and actively encourage the community aswell as walkers to report such incidents. It's not only a nuiscance to the walkers but also to farm animals in the breeding season being disturbed, erosion of the footpaths that constantly have to be maintained by someone, aswell as the risk of the riders themselves becoming hurt and MRT being scrambled to a route unknown to their location.

When done properly Green-Laning is just as welcome in the Peak District as any other activity, but unfortunately its always the very small minority who feel they are immune to the rules of the law & common sense.

davethescope  
#12 Posted : 22 July 2011 09:09:40(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Green_Gentleman wrote:

Around Whaley Bridge the Green Lanes I believe is the track over Ladder Hill (Whaley Bridge-Combs) and Chinley Church (Buxworth-New Mills.) By recognition its an offence for 'Green Laners' to be conducting such activities on private land, farmland, farm tracks, or public right of way tracks only footpath accessible.

To be pedantic: it is only a criminal offence to drive mechanically propelled vehicles on Public Rights of Way which are not Byways Open to All Traffic. Driving on private land, without the owners consent, is a civil trespass.

Quote:
When done properly Green-Laning is just as welcome in the Peak District as any other activity, but unfortunately its always the very small minority who feel they are immune to the rules of the law & common sense.

It is impossible to drive a motor vehicle on an unsurfaced track without causing massive damage. Take a walk along the Chapel Gate path if you doubt that statement.. BOATs were incorporating in law to allow horse drawn carts and herds of animals to move about in the interest of commerce. Not to allow middle aged men in 250 horsepower, 2 tonne vehicle to play out their frontier fantasies.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 22 July 2011 18:40:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Dave the Scope,

I once asked you in a private conversation if you knew why the road from Taxal on to Long Hill had been closed to traffic by DCC.

This road has been a thoroughfare/right of way for hundreds of years. It’s shown on all the old maps that I have anyway.

I know we don’t own any roads and the owner can generally impose all sorts of conditions and restrictions on their roads but have you any idea why this has happened?

The road is shown on all my old maps and when I was young or younger I used to watch the car rallies on a Sunday mornings use that road. They used to come down from Taxal, cross Long Hill and drive over the track on the opposite side of the road, on to Elnor Lane and then onwards towards the back of Whitehall where they once again emerged on Long Hill.
I’ve no idea where they went from there.

When the ford below Taxal Church was washed away in the 90’s a local man reported this to DCC and arranged a meeting with them and at that point they said they had to repair it as a matter of urgency as it was a public right of way.
And repair it they did but only the Taxal Church side of the Goyt.
When the local man asked why they had only done one side when they told him they were going to do both they said they had run out of money.

R. S-S
davethescope  
#14 Posted : 22 July 2011 20:09:17(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hello Dave the Scope,

I once asked you in a private conversation if you knew why the road from Taxal on to Long Hill had been closed to traffic by DCC.

Sorry not have replied sooner. I am not entirely sure but I suspect that the road has been classified as a "Restricted Byway". Restricted Byways were introduced in the 2000 Countryside and Wildlife Act (the so called "Right to Roam" legislation) and were intended to be a way of resolving the ambiguous position of "Roads Used as Public Paths". Restricted Byway designates a way which can be used by pedestrians, horse-riders, cyclists, horse-drawn carts and carriages and driven livestock but not mechanically propelled vehicles.

Quote:

This road has been a thoroughfare/right of way for hundreds of years. It’s shown on all the old maps that I have anyway.

As a Restriced Byway it retains all the access rights which it had hundreds of years ago.

Quote:

I know we don’t own any roads and the owner can generally impose all sorts of conditions and restrictions on their roads but have you any idea why this has happened?

Many local authorities have taken the decision to reclassify all Roads used as Public Paths as Restricted Byways in order to restrict off road motoring. You might say that this restriction is a direct consequence of irresponsible "Green Laneing"

Quote:
When the ford below Taxal Church was washed away in the 90’s a local man reported this to DCC and arranged a meeting with them and at that point they said they had to repair it as a matter of urgency as it was a public right of way.

Being a PRoW does not imply that mechanically propelled vehicles are permitted to use it.

Quote:
And repair it they did but only the Taxal Church side of the Goyt.
When the local man asked why they had only done one side when they told him they were going to do both they said they had run out of money.

A common enough problem even today.

Edited by user 22 July 2011 20:11:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#15 Posted : 25 July 2011 23:56:02(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I have to admit this thread has given me some thought. I too have had walks along Long Lane and elsewhere interrupted by off-road enthusiasts on two, four and even six wheels, and harboured uncharitable thoughts towards them. However, I considered why should I have those thoughts? If it had been a metalled lane I would have cheerfully stood aside and let them pass. I concluded that it was merely a matter of my expectation – I was not expecting a vehicle on an un-surfaced road, and it was the disturbance of my expectation that was the cause of my lack of charity.

Now, as Dave the Scope (now is that an astronomical or rifle scope?) says, off road vehicles can cause much damage to un-surfaced roads. This caused me to examine my behaviour. Mrs RockBanker and I often take the scenic routes in our car when going about our everyday business. For example, we might take the route via Eccles Pike or via the Wainstones and Ridge Lane when going to Chapel, stopping to enjoy the view or take a short walk. Now this is of course only possible because these roads are surfaced. If Long Lane was surfaced we would no doubt use this too. At some point in the past someone must have decided which roads were to be surfaced and which were not. Which I wonder would be the worst for the environment – the surfacing of these roads, or the damage caused by off-road vehicles to them now? If they were surfaced would we be complaining about vehicles (such as mine) using them? Would we be saying that a surfaced road is unnecessary here, and it should be restored to nature?
Another issue crossed my mind as well. The national parks are, well, parks for the nation. Money from all taxpayers is used for their preservation and upkeep. They are places for all to enjoy their legitimate recreation. I do not believe we should single out a minority recreation for opprobrium because we do not like or understand it.
Finally, I would like to mention motorbike silencers. Many motorbikes, both on-road and off-road, that I hear around Whaley Bridge seem to me to be excessively and even perhaps illegally loud. There are many sites that advertise aftermarket silencers which “enhance” (ie increase) exhaust noise. Some include, with a nod and a wink, removable baffles. These baffles can be inserted at MOT time to ensure that the sound is within legal limits, and then removed afterwards, greatly increasing the noise produced by the bike. I am not sure if our local constabulary is provided with sound pressure meters and is trained to do spot checks on bike noise, but I suspect an officer so equipped could have a very productive few hours by the Horwich End traffic lights on a summer Sunday afternoon.

Edited by user 25 July 2011 23:56:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
tyke  
#16 Posted : 26 July 2011 07:55:42(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Mr Rockbanker, Just to set the record straight, the reasons why some Bikers like their exhausts loud in you last comment. As you know I used to have a two wheeled device myself (legal noise levels). Whilst I do not necessarily agree, many bikers have loud pipes so they can be heard in traffic, thus reducing the number of accidents on the roads. Well at least thats the theory, Though there have been a few campaigns to try and promote a change in the law, You may have seen stickers in cars or on bikes claiming "loud pipes save lives!" I do not believe there has been any difinitive study into this as such, so its down to the individuals to risk being challenged by the ploice.....and they do! Ok some riders just like noisy bikes and then feel persecuted when they get pulled with a noisy exhaust on the Cat n Fiddle doing stupid speeds ... but thats another topic!

Just to bring this posting back on to topic.... What therefore is the benefit of loud pipes on roads such as long lane? Most walkers would hear bikes arriving with normal exhaust noise levels. Of course off road only bikes do not necessarily have to comply with road laws, I would expect however, that as Long Lane is probably a by-way they should therefore have to comply.

davethescope  
#17 Posted : 26 July 2011 08:58:09(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Green Gentleman. It is a radio telescope - until recently I earned my crust as an Engineer at Jodrell Bank Observatory. I think that the decision on whether to surface a road or not is generally based on its benefit to the economy.

Tyke. I think that in general you have to comply with road traffic law if you are driving/riding in a "public place" which, in law, is a place to which it could be reasonably expected that the public have access.
RockBanker  
#18 Posted : 26 July 2011 11:46:38(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Yes Tyke, like you I would like to see some independent research that showed that louder exhaust sounds increase road safety before believing their arguments. I'll have to have a little chat with some of my collegues in the states who research and design alarm sounds for emergency vehicles to see if they know anything about it.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Horwich Ender  
#19 Posted : 26 August 2011 17:24:23(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

Davethescopes comment regarding the Traffic Prohibition Order for Chapel Gate has been confirmed and comes into operation on 31 August 2011.

Good news in my opinion.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/looking-after/vehicles/tro/chapelgate

nce  
#20 Posted : 05 September 2011 11:04:10(UTC)
nce

I am a fan of tolerance. If actually look, there are relatively few rough or unprepared roads in the area that are open to traffic. The Elnor Lane Combs road is passable on bikes, but it's hard to get a 4x4 on it (I have tried and spent the next 3h taking broom scratches off the vehicle). A nicer road for 4x4s that offers nice views and a stroll is the one from the White Hall Centre to Buxton. There is another short road that cuts off the corner in the clough on Long Hill, but the gates are a pain in the neck. Then there is a short road from Kettleshulme above Walker Brow to Taxal, but that is really just a little diversion if the 4x4 owner fancies a bit of a change to irritate the wife who is trying to transport a trifle on her knees in the passenger seat.

So there it is. Not really a huge disruption, and there are plenty of quiet paths all over the place. The Peak is a great place for recreation in nearly all its forms.

Nige.