logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#21 Posted : 06 June 2010 21:25:49(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Welcome back to the forum Jamie,

I have missed you.

I am also missing a few very good friends of mine who are no longer with us and who have gone to where ever in recent weeks.

It is a terrible experience/feeling I can tell you.

R. S-S
buggyite  
#22 Posted : 06 June 2010 22:49:52(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

To be fair, I think the reason that there is a memorial to John Axon up at Chapel South station is because of his undoubted bravery, which won him the George Cross, and subsequently was the subject of one of the Radio Ballads produced by the BBC in the 50s/60s.

This year, his story has been added to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.

I am not for one minute suggesting that the crew of the loco that fell into Wharf Road was any less brave, in fact I suspect that most railwaymen would have done what Axon did, in similar circumstances.

However, I totally agree with R.S-S. that there should be some sort of permanent reminder of the Wharf Road crash. Perhaps, if there are photos relating to this on display this coming weekend in the Mechanics Institute, there could be both a "petition" form for visitors to sign, and  a collection box to see how many people are prepared to put their money where their mouth is.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
CllrJonG  
#23 Posted : 06 June 2010 23:03:33(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

I will add a form for people to sign their name on next to the photo. Good suggestion.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Norm  
#24 Posted : 06 June 2010 23:32:40(UTC)
Norm

Man

Horwich Ender  
#25 Posted : 20 March 2014 17:15:32(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Originally Posted by: R. Stephenson-Smythe Go to Quoted Post

Sorry to resurrect this old topic.

Well I’m not sorry really but I find it rather hard to believe that we have had no comments from either the Whaley Eleven or those Friends of Whaley Station.

Surely this subject merits some form of remembrance or comment from both bodies.

Anyway I have just found the report into the tragic accident that happened all those years ago in Wharf Road; a million miles from Whaley Station and The Mechanics institute it must be said.

R. S-S

Good afternoon.

People still remember the Chapel train crash of 1957.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/memory-lane-remembering-the-chapel-en-le-frith-train-crash-of-1957-1-6502248

Is there now a permanent reminder of the 1885 Whaley Bridge Wharf Road crash?

Chairman Jon The Whaley One organised a petition in 2010 but we do not appear to have been informed of the outcome.

thanks 1 user thanked Horwich Ender for this useful post.
Whaley Laner on 24/03/2014(UTC)
JonG  
#26 Posted : 21 March 2014 16:13:01(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,
I added a signature sheet when we had an exhibition of old photos  in the Mechanics Institute several years ago.
I think there were around 3 or 4 signatures at the most. Despite that I did get a sense that it would be well received. No real effort was made to obtain signatures - we just left a sheet and a pen out.
 I saw the story about the plaque in Chapel.and thought again about the possibility of putting some up in Whaley Bridge. The plaques are not cheap - say £150 each .
I'm happy to follow this through , possibly through Whaley4Wards.Cant do it on my own though - I need some support behind the idea.
Cheers

Jon. 
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
thanks 1 user thanked JonG for this useful post.
davethescope  
#27 Posted : 21 March 2014 23:36:18(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Jon

I'll start the ball rolling by pledging £50 towards a plaque
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
canalboat  
#28 Posted : 22 March 2014 20:38:14(UTC)
canalboat

Sorry i know this takes you back to the Chapel crash but i thought it was worth a mention. I am a gas engineer who does work for people who contact age uk. Through this i was asked to put a new heating system in for a gent who contacted me . His name was Ron Scanlon. At the time i new nothing about the crash and asked him what he had been upto during his life. He started by telling me he was in the north atlantic during the war on a warship . At this point he went silent for quite a while . He then started to weep and tell me of his time as a fireman on a steam train working out of edgerley. He then told me why he was upset and about the crash. He said they repoted the leaking steam pipe at Buxton and all they did was tighten it again. As they got near dove holes the pipe blew staight in the drivers face. The driver Mr Axon made him jump off to raise the alarm. He told me how he tried to put the breaks on the wagons but to no avail becuase of the weight they were carrying. He told me a few more details and went silent again.He then told me how he still has nightmares because he can still hear the driver hanging on the whistle all the way to Chapel. As you can imagine very moving when you heard this from him. After he calmed down a bit he showed me the Fifty pound compensation cheque and bravery certificate he got from BR over a can of beer.I tried to get him to go to the plaque ceremony at Chapel but he said he just wanted to try to forget. He was a Great bloke with a great personality . Sorry just thought i would share this. 
Whaley Laner  
#29 Posted : 24 March 2014 14:57:38(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I added a signature sheet when we had an exhibition of old photos  in the Mechanics Institute several years ago.
I think there were around 3 or 4 signatures at the most. Despite that I did get a sense that it would be well received. No real effort was made to obtain signatures - we just left a sheet and a pen out.
 I saw the story about the plaque in Chapel.and thought again about the possibility of putting some up in Whaley Bridge. The plaques are not cheap - say £150 each .
I'm happy to follow this through , possibly through Whaley4Wards.Cant do it on my own though - I need some support behind the idea.
Cheers
Jon. 

What an excellent idea. This is a far more appropriate use of taxpayers money than spending £6000 on a red telephone box.
RockBanker  
#30 Posted : 25 March 2014 07:26:30(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
A comprehensive guide to such plaques.
http://www.english-herit...plaques-guidance-pt1.pdf
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
davethescope  
#31 Posted : 25 March 2014 10:37:35(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RockBanker Go to Quoted Post
A comprehensive guide to such plaques.
http://www.english-herit...plaques-guidance-pt1.pdf

Perhaps one of the red Transport Trust plaques  - such as the one on the transshipment warehouse - would be more appropriate in this instance?

http://www.transporttrust.com/10021.html
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Horwich Ender  
#32 Posted : 26 March 2014 17:28:32(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

I would like to echo the thoughts of R. Stephenson-Smythe, Gnatalee, lord cornflake, richard / Fr Jamie, buggyite, Well Known Norm, Chairman Jon The Whaley One, davethescope, Whaley Laner and RockBanker as I consider some form of permanent reminder of the tragic events of 1885 to be an admirable idea.

I would suggest a plaque and a short description of what happened on 17 February 1885 together with copies of the photographs kindly posted by R. S-S, are erected at Whaley Bridge Station if finances permit.