logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2010 18:17:51(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

Furness Clough offers an interesting example of industrial history.  R.E.Knowles operated a mine there until 1963 which supplied both coal and fire clay for their adjacent brickworks.  Both of these enterprises were linked to the canal and railway siding by a 19" gauge tramway.

I shall post further information here as it is prepared or becomes available although this may not be in any logical sequence.

From a rather indistinct photograph of the mine entrance I have prepared this impression of how it might have appeared in 1910.  The timber framework is presumably the pit head gear of the old No. 1 shaft. I don't know how accurate this illustration is, please let me know of any amendments.

Edited by user 12 February 2010 18:27:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild attached the following image(s):
furness clough.jpg
High Peak Harry  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2010 13:11:45(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Do you know where it joined the railway? I do, and you (and others) might be surprised as it sounded a bit fishy to me, the route it took.
parabuild  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2010 15:25:57(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The booklet "Coal mining around Whaley Bridge" has a sketch map showing the route of the tramway. After passing under Buxton Road and then under the railway it turned sharp left at the canal and finished on the wharf just adjacent to the dock.  A short branch is shown leaving the tramway and turning left immediately after passing under the railway.  The railway certainly had a siding at one time (Hall's Siding ? ) further towards Newtown and I wondered if the tramway met with this.  I was told though, by a resident of Furness that the tramway branched to the right before reaching the railway and ran alongside towards Station Road.   The 1909 O.S.map at 1 : 2500 scale shows the tramway quite clearly but not this branch.  I am very curious to find the correct answer.  Don't keep us waiting too long H.P.H.