logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2010 06:56:15(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

The green and cream buses of British Automobile Traction were once a familiar sight throughout the Peak District.  Based in Macclesfield with a small service depot in Stockport, they carried the fleet name "British" on the side.

On the 23rd April 1923 the North Western Road Car Company began operations.  B.A.T. and the Thomas Tilling company each held 50% of the new company. The 50 buses of the "British" fleet were transferred.  North Western began to expand and having reached agreement with Manchester Corporation extended a number of routes to their bus station in Lower Mosley Street.  On 1st March 1928 the new "express" service between Buxton and Manchester began.  The route as far as Stockport was that of the present 199 service. Buses left Buxton between 7am and 9pm running every hour in the morning and every 30 minutes in the afternoon.  This became North Western route 27.

North Western continued to operate until March 1972 when the Buxton and Matlock depots were transferred to Trent. Routes in Greater Manchester were taken over by SELNEC and those from Macclesfield and Altrincham went to Crosville.

The North Wester buses below are a Tilling Stevens of 1931 and a Bristol of 1936 at Lower Mosley Street.

Edited by user 08 March 2010 06:58:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild attached the following image(s):
bus.jpg
ticket.jpg
1931 Tilling_Stevens.jpg
1936 Garadner bodied Bristol.jpg
richard  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2010 21:28:54(UTC)
richard

Dear David,

As ever a very good picture from you,

Seeing a picture like that goes back to my childhood when I used to stay with my grandparents,  however the bus was only once a day,  and it had springy seats, and those leather straps for holding onto, not forgetting the ash tray on each seat.

Why can't trains and buses be the same today !!!!!!!!

Yours as ever

Jamie

parabuild  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2011 09:08:56(UTC)
parabuild

Man

This bus is at the junction with Station Road in Furness Vale and is apparently on the wrong side of the road. The date is about 1912.  I have never heard of "Manchester District"  and I don't know if this was a public service or an excursion. 

Photo courtesy of Mabel Townend.

Edited by user 26 June 2011 09:09:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bus-1912.jpg
parabuild  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2011 11:43:30(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Very few North Western bus stops are still to be seen although this example still survives at Tunstead Milton.

026comp.jpg
tarboat  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2011 16:42:09(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
That's an amazing survival. I cannot remember ever seeing a NorthwesterN bus stop sign like that before.
parabuild  
#6 Posted : 15 July 2011 09:38:53(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The Museum of Transport in Manchester has provided a little more background information to the photo in post No 3.  

In 1906 a company by the name of Manchester District Omnibus Company Ltd was formed by a group of London businessmen. The offices were at 34 John Dalton Street and the garage at Westinghouse Road, Trafford Park.  Daniel Boyle was the managing director; he had previously been chairman of Manchester Corporation Tramways. Manchester District operated services in Chorlton, Didsbury, Withington, Stretford, Cheadle and Alderley.  Residents of these areas objected to buses on their streets and the problems they caused led to the company being wound up in October of that year. 

This would appear to be one of that company's vehicles, perhaps on an excursion.

British Automobile Traction introduced a Macclesfield - Hazel Grove - New Mills service in 1914 but this was suspended at some time during World War I.  In 1921 a Stockport - Buxton route was initiated and from 1923, one journey in each direction operated via Marple. It was also in 1923 that the B.A.T fleet was transferred to the newly formed North Western company.

Edited by user 15 July 2011 09:42:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified