logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CReWdog  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2010 00:55:30(UTC)
CReWdog

Groups: Member

Hello everyone.

As of 11th March 2010 we are visible to the world. That's right, every house on every street in our lovely village. I've only had a brief look around but I've already found anyone can read the name plaque on the front of my house. What's more, everyone can also see into my garage (left the door open when the Google spy car drove past).

Anyone (like me) who objects to this gross invasion of privacy can request that any particular pictures are removed by clicking on the "report a problem" link in the bottom left hand corner of the picture. This link is very hard to see (deliberately, no doubt) but it is there. Click the link & another screen opens to report the problem. Use the "please describe the problem" box to tell Google why you object.

I've already requested that the image of my entire house is removed. How long it will take Google to respond is another question....

CReWdog

CReWdog attached the following image(s):
Google street view.jpg
buggyite  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2010 10:48:16(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I see Bugsworth is on too, and looking at the photos, they must have been round last summer, as all the trees are in full leaf.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Horwich Ender  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2010 17:40:51(UTC)
Horwich Ender

I agree with CReWdog and think we have a serious privacy issue here.

For instance, I don't think the owner of the silver car that is being repossessed on Jodrell Meadow will be very happy having the removal available for all to see on the World Wide Web.

Also, the couple who are outside the Bike Factory crossing the road to the White Hart won't be too impressed with their new found publicity. They look as if they were holding hands until they saw the Google Spy Van at which time they released but still look very guilty.

The residents on roads like Old Road won't be overjoyed with the fact that you can look directly in their windows. You can see right up Brian Woolley's passage!

However, great news for burglars as they can do the reconnaissance on their next target property without having to leave their computer.

Over the hill but not far away  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2010 18:48:46(UTC)

Well I find it all intriguing!

I remember the summers morning well.  I recall that it was a wednesday and that my favourite little shop full of curios was open- the enigma though  is that from one camera shot, the shop is open and the next camera shot the shop is closed-curiouser and curiouser.

Mr Tyke, I note that your lobelia are trailing limply and need watering, depsite the fact that you are in residence and it is 11 AM-

See if you can spot me !  You will have to be quick, for one minute I'm there and then I'm gone- a pint of black sheep is the prize

Cheers

Edited by user 12 March 2010 19:02:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DLS1977  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2010 19:24:30(UTC)
DLS1977

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Is that Kelly in front of Whaley Bridge Primary?

diver21  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2010 07:18:12(UTC)
diver21

lets hope Brian wooley doesnt mind having his name posted on an open forum, describing his house on old road, so much for privacy issues

G. Jackson  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2010 09:53:26(UTC)
G. Jackson

The thoughts of looking up Brian Woolleys passage should be something the censorship of this forum must be aware of.

CReWdog  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2010 12:51:20(UTC)
CReWdog

Hello again.

Privacy issues aside, I do enjoy some of the more light hearted & frankly, bizzare things people have spotted. A couple of examples 

The giant flying pliers in West Bromitch       http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?layer=c&cbll=52.472714,-2.086625&cbp=12,106.02,,0,-46.04&ved=0CBUQ2wU&ei=w2GaS8j9Ode2sgbzop2-Aw&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cradley+Heath,+West+Midlands+B645BB,+United+Kingdom&t=h&panoid=hyEWyeTOWGhrtLF4NBQ6xQ&ll=52.47273,-2.086458&spn=0,359.985301&z=16

Top prize so far goes to these two loons who chased the Google car while dressed in scuba gear.   http://boingboing.net/2010/02/09/angry-norwegians-in.html

Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2010 16:29:13(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon CReWdog

I have now had chance to have a further look at our village through the eyes of Google Earth. The images are detailed and of very good quality.

I think there has been some attempt to disguise the faces of people pictured but it is still possible to identify who was around Whaley on the day the Google Spy Van made a visit.

From my whistle-stop tour I could see Roy Melland, John Longden, Andy Bowers, Bob Hartley, Keith Robins, Jean Brunt, Sue Greenwood, Alan Kelsall, Roger Longden, Jo Cunliffe, Ken Tidmarsh, Jean Evans, Bob Wood, David Brogden, Debbie Francis, Andy Metcalfe, Alan Shaw and Albert Longden although I didn't see anyone in scuba gear.

I won't say where these people were located but it is quite clear to see for anyone who has access to Google Earth.

I do think there are privacy issues here and perhaps CreWdog you would keep us updated on your attempts to have the image of your house removed.

CReWdog  
#10 Posted : 19 March 2010 14:14:00(UTC)
CReWdog

Hello Again

Google have removed the picture of my house. It took  7 days from the original request.

Regards

CReWdog

#11 Posted : 20 March 2010 00:12:40(UTC)

Well done Mr Tyke for spotting me - a pint of black sheep awaits you-but can you or any other member spot Mr Crewedogs house-it has a garage and is the only house obscured from view (with a name plaque) in the whole of Whaley Bridge- so anyone with  a little time on there hands will be able to locate it- two pints at a pub of your choice "in the wood" for the winner :)

Cheers

Edited by user 20 March 2010 08:46:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#12 Posted : 20 March 2010 15:44:18(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I have not managed to access google street view can anyone give me instructions.

george

G. Jackson  
#13 Posted : 20 March 2010 16:25:58(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hi George,

On the Google page type in Market Street Whaley Bridge and click on maps.

Then you will be given a map of Whaley Bridge with a marker A in the middle of Market Street. On the left there is a slider to enlarge the map and there is a little brown man ( we are not racially prejudiced are we? ) . Click on the man and move him to the A.You will then be looking up Market street towards Stockport. By using the Left/Right Up/down keys  to turn left/right or go forwards/backwards you can turn round. Go slightly along Market Street towards Cecil Turners and then swing left and there is a wonderful little coffee shop that used to sell shoes.

Edited by user 20 March 2010 16:29:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Web Watcher  
#14 Posted : 20 March 2010 19:04:33(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the help "G.Jackson" - I've just had a look and think it's rather clever!!! Had a look at my car on the drive - it looks a bit cleaner then than it is now!!!!!
MLG  
#15 Posted : 20 March 2010 21:22:23(UTC)
MLG

It was driving around mid May last year and looking at some of the views if you spin the camera round it gives you veiw from later in the day on some roads.
george  
#16 Posted : 22 March 2010 11:44:02(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Many thanks G. Jackson for your help, I must get some driving practice in, I'm  used to an automatic.

george