logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2010 22:44:18(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Yet again, another football team.  I know one person on there (Jack Winterbottom), is there someone who can put names to others on this team?

Gnats

Edited by user 17 April 2010 22:46:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Foot ball team.JPG (1,578kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
umtali  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2010 07:12:17(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Had a go at repairing this one Gnatalee but there is a grain pattern in the background that can only be removed by blurring, which is OK on the sky obviously not on faces

umtali

Edited by user 18 April 2010 07:15:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali attached the following image(s):
football_gnat.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2010 10:15:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I can’t just work that one out Gnatalee,

Is that possibly the Botany Tower (No 1 Dept) in the rear of the photo?

If so we could well date the photo.

Interestingly there is no sign of either Gary Sparrow or an ‘Only Fools and Horses’ connection but the gentleman third from the right does have an ominous look of Mr Al Capone about him.
Could be someone off JGTC I suppose. I can’t be sure whether it’s a stick or a single barrel shotgun he’s holding. Ah yes it’s a shotgun; definitely a member of JGTC then.

R. S-S
Norm  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2011 23:37:21(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

This piccy hangs in the Navvi, Buggy with all the names supplied. As you walk in with the bar in front of you it is on the left wall which is now slightly behind you. Maybe some local could go with pen and paper.

Norm

snowy  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2011 15:32:56(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Whaley FC website http://www.whaleybridgefc.co.uk/ (go to "The club"  and then "History and memories") has a little article by Arthur Jackson, which may be worth having a look at. He mentions that in the 1920's the club played at Slacks field, just next to the reservoir, which may be where the picture was taken.

It looks as though Norm has found the names of all the players, but Mr Jackson also lists one or two of the teams from that era.

Could it be Christ Church on Bings Rd in the right centre background behind the net? Not sure about the big building on the left though. Whaley Hall? Although it looks too close.

I recognise Al Capone on the right, but what is "Papa Doc" Duvallier, former dictator of Haiti, doing in the background on the left, just visible between Peter Kay and Andy Carroll?

Norm  
#6 Posted : 06 May 2011 00:21:37(UTC)
Norm

Man

It the interests of the forum I dragged myself to the Navigation tonight, it was also quiz night with free chip butties. As I have said we sometimes need research.

Here are my findings, I presume these names read from left to right, we have all names except one.

The heading is Bugsworth F.C. 1928-1929.

First not the players:-

Joe Hill

Bert Drinkwater

Tom Winterbottom

A.N.Other

President Algy Kirk

Harry West

Bill Lomas

Peter Middleton (Not Al Capone)

Mat Barber

Basil Wetters

Now the team:-

Back Row:-

Joe Hughes

Fred Winterbottom

Jess Rowley

Frank Gee

Middle row:-

Bill Holford

Jack Winterbottom

Jim Hill

Front row:-

Sam Pine

Frank Holford

Fred Parker

Bill Winterbottom

I hope the info is correct.

Norm

Norm  
#7 Posted : 06 May 2011 09:51:55(UTC)
Norm

Man

I have put the photo/team on the website. It's on a page on it's own at the moment, maybe it can be expanded to a subject one day.

To help find out who's who you can point the mouse at the person's head and hopefully their name should appear.

Link is http://www.whaleybridge.net/localhistory/sport/buggy28.htm

Norm

G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 06 May 2011 10:31:05(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well done Norman. Brilliant.

Fred Parker was a very good plasterer and lived on Jodrell Meadow for most of his life. Anyone who goes to Whaley Club will recognise his eldest son Maurice who looks so much like his dad.

Gnatalee  
#9 Posted : 06 May 2011 21:03:11(UTC)
Gnatalee

I agree with you G.Jackson - well done Norman for dragging yourself to the "Navi" - you're obviously a very dedicated forum member !

I had no idea how many "Winterbottoms" were on that photo (I thought Jack - my Grandad - was the only one). What I can say is that in January I was talking to one of Jack's nephews (his sister, Agnes Middleton's son ) who was telling me that all three brothers were involved in the local football scene. This photograph proves what he said. They came from Barren Clough - on one of the census' their mother is running a smallholding. The "Tom Winterbottom" mentioned could be the uncle to the lads.

Thank you so much for putting the names to people - it's great to have people willing to go "beyond the call of duty" to get information for the forum !! Well done !

Gnats

Edited by user 06 May 2011 21:04:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified