logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Norm  
#21 Posted : 10 May 2010 19:22:09(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

Before this thread falls apart.

I have emailed Tim at TrustedIT for the information. Whether he/they agree to this is up to them of course. We will await the outcome.

Norm

Norm  
#22 Posted : 10 May 2010 19:36:47(UTC)
Norm

Man

Umtali

That is an interesting map of the area around Errwood. Is there any information to go with it?

Norm

hrees16  
#23 Posted : 11 May 2010 18:07:30(UTC)
hrees16

this forum is better than a soap opera with you guys!

umtali  
#24 Posted : 12 May 2010 09:34:58(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Re Norm's Map Question:

No sorry I don’t have any further detail I received it by email from a forum member, I also received a comment from parabuild about the map he said - Cut and Paste –
Notice Norm has asked about the map of Errwood. It looks like the Ordnance Survey map from the 1909/1910 survey. Not sure of the scale but probably 1 : 2500.
I've attached my latest Sketchup file of the Errwood model.
snoopy  
#25 Posted : 14 May 2010 08:04:15(UTC)
snoopy

The Opera continues.

First we have a site, then we don't, then Norm complains, then we do, then Untali resigns, then Norm say's he will do it, then ..................................................

Where are we upto? Don't think I have missed any episodes or have I? Who is webmaster? For how long? Could it be a coalition?

umtali  
#26 Posted : 14 May 2010 08:28:36(UTC)

Last I heard Norm had applied for the keys to the office, ready to do a Gordon anytime, in the meantime I will keep the filing cabinet in order. 

umtali
Horwich Ender  
#27 Posted : 14 May 2010 16:54:59(UTC)
Horwich Ender

So, Well Known Norm has become the Webmaster.

What does this mean?

Unfortunately my knowledge of computers and technology is not the best, but it would appear the Webmaster is in some position of power.

This got me thinking. If I'm not mistaken Rockbanker once implied that R Stephenson-Smythe was in someway linked to a Master in a fraternal organisation with connections to a Grand Lodge. I didn't really understand exactly what Rockbanker was getting at but I was surprised when R. S-S adopted an unusual silence on the subject.

The two postings are probably unrelated, but together with the posting of the Reservoir Road entrance to the park photograph, this has raised some questions.

R. S-S, would you please let us know approximately when the park entrance photo was taken and to the best of your knowledge, apart from the current use of dwelling houses, what has the building at the park entrance been used for?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#28 Posted : 14 May 2010 17:28:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello HE,

Good, searching, interesting questions from you as always.

Unfortunately I do not have any of the information you require to hand but I will make it my duty to research these matters for you.

I shall come back to you shortly.

In the meantime I shall be leaving the historical side of the forum and you will find me answering another one of your probing posts over there.

You may wish to comment.

R. S-S
Norm  
#29 Posted : 14 May 2010 19:28:08(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi Horwich Ender

What is a webmaster? I get to sit in a large black chair and stroke a white cat that wishes to be somewhere else and dream of World or even Whaley domination.

Ok let's come back to Earth. A webmaster creates websites, these days there are millions because it is not hard. He creates the pages you read and creates the links from one to another, that's all.** created the Errwood website, consisting of about eight pages linked to each other, and a good job he made of it as well!

This whole affair started because he created it and then deleted it. Which is not a very professional, or even a good mannered thing to do. As you know I thought it was out of order and stood up to him, I thought members of the forum should not be treated like that. When one takes a task on you have a responsibility to continue and do it to your best ability. I always try to stand up for what is right, gets me in trouble many times but I do not stand by.** said in a post that I should be webmaster, whether he meant it I do not know. Not wishing to see the website be deleted again I said I would, but the "keys" have not been passed to me, so** is still "in control".

R.S-S says I am a computer wizzard, not what I would say but after being in IT since 1973 I suppose I have picked up a bit of knowledge. In this trade you soon learn that your knowledge becomes obsolete very soon, so even to stay in the same place you have to run fast and try to learn new skills. I know umpteen computer languages but I don't use many now. Attached is a picture from 1976 when I was a computer operator on an IBM 370-125 mainframe. Notice the cool hair and patterned shirt, what a guy (ignore the socks). That is the days when the computer under you desk filled a large air-conditioned room, and in the heat of 1976 I was a cool guy!

Norm

Edited by user 14 May 2010 19:47:05(UTC)  | Reason: Speeeling

Norm attached the following image(s):
operator.JPG
CllrJonG  
#30 Posted : 14 May 2010 19:59:20(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Crikey, thats an advanced computer for the time. A keyboard entry system !. 8 years later I was still creating and feeding punched cards into a computer at Salford University. If you dropped your stack of cards you had a big problem. The only fun thing was the paternoster lift that took us up to the computer floor !

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Norm  
#31 Posted : 14 May 2010 20:02:14(UTC)
Norm

Man

CllrJonG wrote:

Crikey, thats an advanced computer for the time. A keyboard entry system !. 8 years later I was still creating and feeding punched cards into a computer at Salford University. If you dropped your stack of cards you had a big problem. The only fun thing was the paternoster lift that took us up to the computer floor !

Cheers

Jon.

The card reader/punch is that big box on the right. I was just typing in commands etc.

You cannot see the disk drives or printer in this picture. That may follow!!

umtali  
#32 Posted : 14 May 2010 20:12:07(UTC)

Good Evening HE,

What is a Webmaster?
Do my best to explain.
Requirement one you must speak Geek – no not Greek – I speak enough to get by. 
It is an absolute essential that you have a flare to offend web surfers. I am not one to brag normally but this is my strong point. Without this ability your Web mastering will have the impact of Bugsworth Parish Magazine. (There you go see how easily it comes to me).
And finally let me tell you -
I’ve been asked to leave international forums, and not everyone can say that.

Cheers
Umtali

PS Just noticed Norm is still not keen on me, just for that Norm, no more olive branch --- Norm waiting in the wings

umtali attached the following image(s):
waiting.jpg
Norm  
#33 Posted : 14 May 2010 20:26:56(UTC)
Norm

Man

umtali wrote:

Good Evening HE,

What is a Webmaster?
Do my best to explain.
Requirement one you must speak Geek – no not Greek – I speak enough to get by. 
It is an absolute essential that you have a flare to offend web surfers. I am not one to brag normally but this is my strong point. Without this ability your Web mastering will have the impact of Bugsworth Parish Magazine. (There you go see how easily it comes to me).
And finally let me tell you -
I’ve been asked to leave international forums, and not everyone can say that.

Cheers
Umtali

PS Just noticed Norm is still not keen on me, just for that Norm, no more olive branch --- Norm waiting in the wings

Just in case it changes. Why resort to this?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:39:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well I’m afraid it has to be said once again:

TAXI FOR**.

R. S-S
umtali  
#35 Posted : 15 May 2010 05:17:50(UTC)

On April 25th 2010 R. S-S. Posted: -

“Just a couple of things really and the last thing I want is for the forum to develop into members taking sides against each other.”

Go on admit it Norms your grandson isn’t he.

umtali  
#36 Posted : 15 May 2010 06:29:06(UTC)

My last word on this topic:

I have had a look at Norms CV and there is no doubt about it he is a Computer Wizard I am absolutely not in his division.

The problem is, the public tend to believe that a computer in the hands of a said wizard can do anything at the pressing of a few keys. In reality we know this is not so, it is merely a tool to produce something, I have no idea what is or was at the end of Norms computer production line, perhaps data for ICI, Income Tax Control, Accountancy, I can only guess, perhaps he will tell me.
Whatever it is I am sure he was very good at it.

In my case compared to Norm I am a newcomer made a start using a computer for my work in the late 1980’s. Prior to this I used pens, brushes, very large cameras and all kinds of Graphic Arts machinery. My end product - all possible types of printed textiles, dress, furnishing, wallpaper, floor coverings “T” shirts this was my sole occupation for more than 50 years.

When the computer age finally arrived on my doorstep it was used in conjunction with a scanner as big as a garden shed to transfer an artists textile design on paper onto photographic film, one film for each colour and then a few years later straight onto printing cylinders. I have designed quite a few websites as a hobby only but my previous work experience I hope has given me the ability to produce something pleasing.

Two final things like Norm I will publish an action picture of my dashing self at work, too early for a computer though circa.1955 it will be Hunter Penrose 24”x 20” process camera. And bye the way Norm far too much red in your picture, but I will fix it for you, that’s what mates do.

Cheers
umtali

Edited by user 15 May 2010 08:15:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#37 Posted : 15 May 2010 08:19:40(UTC)

umtali in action 1950’s

Also wonder if anyone is old enough to remember that about the same time this picture was taken Whaley Hall was used by the CPA (my employer) as a Textile Design Reproduction Studio. Lots of girls were employed there a friend of mine was studio supervisor he resided on site in a garden flat with his wife and young daughter. I also have a picture of them, but I suppose doubtful anyone will remember them.

Edited by user 15 May 2010 18:21:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

me.jpg
Norm  
#38 Posted : 15 May 2010 08:54:55(UTC)
Norm

Man

umtali wrote:

And bye the way Norm far too much red in your picture, but I will fix it for you, that’s what mates do.

Cheers
umtali

Please leave it alone, IBM was blue.

Norm attached the following image(s):
operator.JPG
umtali  
#39 Posted : 15 May 2010 09:19:49(UTC)

Better Norm but you have lost the highlight detail and perhaps a bit green.

norm_work.jpg
Norm  
#40 Posted : 15 May 2010 09:33:07(UTC)
Norm

Man

Very good, but getting a bit silly. I was there! And even David Bailey doesn't use colour because it is never true.

Off out today so you can play with it now.