logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
umtali  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2010 08:31:48(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Looking at the Errwood Hall picture posted by R. S-S yesterday -

It occurred to me that although it is described as an architects sketch it is in fact more in the style of a 19th Centaury skilled artist. Very well drawn in fact, not exactly a sketch in my opinion. I tried to enlarge the picture it was not very good because of course the pixels show.

On giving the matter more consideration I wondered what the effect would be if I gave the background a canvas effect (Available in Adobe) I gave it a try and the result I think is very much better, almost worth a frame printed on decent art paper, I thought it worth posting – The size now 175% of the original post image.

Edited by user 12 May 2010 08:32:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali attached the following image(s):
oils2.jpg
oils.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2010 13:02:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Mr**, Sir,

I see you are still with us and that is fair enough as far as I am concerned but a word of warning to you.

A recent by-law was passed by JGTC which allowed the re-opening of an ancient firing range situated just up from Whaley Bridge in a place known as Taxal. Within the hamlet of Taxal is a place known simply as the Pleasure Ground and there was an old law that allowed shooting across the River Goyt towards the old flag pole. We do not need to discuss the various targets here.

I strongly suspect Horwich Ender knows more about this new by-law than he is letting on about and he sometimes walks a fine line; I have expected his disappearance on more than one occasion but he always resurfaces. He is not only mildly amusing he is very clever.

Several members of the forum who have stepped out of line, most notably The Silversurfer, have disappeared never to be seen again and the suspicion is that JonG has frogmarched them up to the Pleasure Ground where they have met their fate. In fact I myself have been more than a little worried for my safety on about three occasions.

It is well known that Cllr Jon has a shotgun. He has come on here and said publicly that he would like to use it. He is still out to shoot Colin and only recently he arrested an individual in the Park aided by his trusty sawn-off.

So it’s no use you upsetting forum members and thinking you are safe in North Wales; you are not.

Underestimate the power of the Goldfinch at your peril.

You have been warned, Sir.

R. S-S

CllrJonG  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2010 13:57:18(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

"It is well known that Cllr Jon has a shotgun"

Before any members of the local constabulary decide to pay me a visit and execute a search warrant on the back of this assertion, I'd like to make it quite clear that I dont own said pointy bang bang thing!  I know you jest RSS, but I bet you that when I next walk into the Sheps or elsewhere someone asks me about firearms. False assertions have this unfortunate tendency to turn into 'stated fact' .

Incidently RSS- found my deeds of lower macc rd last night. I'll transcribe and pass on. These dont mention the tunnel, but my neighbours did. 

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
umtali  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2010 17:15:44(UTC)

I should tell you R.S-J that my stay in this forum is a temporary arrangement until my membership of the upmarket “New Mills Forum” has been approved.
In addition I assure you that I am not afraid of you or your henchmen “Norm the Assassin” and “The Horwich Bender”.

In fact you may recall me mention in a recent post my mate “Mad Eric the Bus”, he has been particularly unstable since he was rebuffed by your lady councillors. Today I informed him of your threats and this evening he intends to muster the support of the members of Abergele Tabernacle Choir and Line Dance Club and pay your one horse town a visit at the weekend.

They will be a force to be reckoned with after a few crates and several rousing songs on the way up there. Unless you apologise for your aggressive attitude to us Welsh you are in deep trouble.
I have put a good word in for Cllr JonG as I consider him to be a much-maligned gentleman. As for the Horwich End Gang your only hope of salvation is to shake the moths from your wallets and ply my representatives with plenty of decent beer.

umtali

Edited by user 13 May 2010 04:38:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2010 07:41:55(UTC)

A Google search produced the detail below, which tells us that Roos was indeed a skilled freehand artist as well as an architect

Alexander Roos was born about 1810 at Orti di Sallustio, Rome, apparently the son of Karl Roos (1776-1836), a German cabinetmaker who had set up business in Rome. By the age of eighteen he was making refined antiquarian drawings in the neighbourhood of Rome and probably between 1829 and 1832 he was a pupil of Karl Friedrich Schinkel in Berlin, returning to Italy to make copies of the painted decoration found at Pompeii in 1833. By 1835 he was in England, designing and executing Pompeian decoration at Hadzow House, Worcestershire for the banker J H Galton

umtali

umtali  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2010 08:37:04(UTC)

This is a painting by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, Roos teacher in Germany

A study for a Monument to Queen Louise
umtali attached the following image(s):
scz.jpg