logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Norm  
#21 Posted : 04 June 2010 19:17:38(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

umtali wrote:

For me the worst one is on the home page, almost hypnotic. The others as you say can be left un-activated. The thumbnails and their link image are fine, and all that is needed to hold the viewers interest.

Cheers for the comments. What we need is more comments so I can guage a feeling. Please do not use bad language in comments though because that makes people offended and reduces the credibility of the comment.

Edited by user 04 June 2010 20:15:25(UTC)  | Reason: Typos :)

CllrJonG  
#22 Posted : 04 June 2010 20:17:42(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

I'm not sure what the fuss is about.. If you press a button for slideshow, then you get a slideshow. If you dont, you can look at the pictures as you will.

The slideshow on the first page, which is the only one which is 'just there' is not an issue for me. My only comment would be that the refresh time is a little slow for my liking. I'm not sure if this is related to the number of pictures in the queue or simply a setting in the presentation. It may possibly cause problems for people on dial-up, but not many people are nowadays. I think the site is fantastic.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Horwich Ender  
#23 Posted : 04 June 2010 20:18:52(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Umtali's been at it again has he?

Initiating a posting to which someone responds and then changing his original comments making the reply look ridiculous.

Come on** play the game. If other members changed their posts after people have made comment it would make an absolute nonsense of the forum.

I would encourage all members not to change their posts after they have received a response.

As for the website Well Known Norm, I think it's great. Keep up the good work.

umtali  
#24 Posted : 04 June 2010 20:47:16(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Sorry H.E. I have no idea which post you are referring to, I simply abbreviated a word by changing two letters in it to ” - -“ I fail to see any confusion or how this makes someone look ridiculous.   Bit deep for me this one.

Norm  
#25 Posted : 04 June 2010 23:24:35(UTC)
Norm

Man

CllrJonG wrote:

I'm not sure what the fuss is about.. If you press a button for slideshow, then you get a slideshow. If you dont, you can look at the pictures as you will.

The slideshow on the first page, which is the only one which is 'just there' is not an issue for me. My only comment would be that the refresh time is a little slow for my liking. I'm not sure if this is related to the number of pictures in the queue or simply a setting in the presentation. It may possibly cause problems for people on dial-up, but not many people are nowadays. I think the site is fantastic.

Cheers

Jon.

Hi

Usually the pictures are loaded quickly to your browser, and there is a setting to control the time between displays. I will speed up the displays in the next few days to see the effect, bit trial and error to get it looking OK.

Umtali... Maybe H.E. is remarking about posts 9 and 10, not your bad language. Maybe you have no idea which post he is refering to because there are so many to chose from. I may be wrong but it's not too deep to work out.

CllrJonG  
#26 Posted : 05 June 2010 02:07:35(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

For what it's worth** printed off over 30 high quality photograph prints for the Whaley Water Weekend,and sent them to me, On top of the postage, I now know how expensive the quality photo paper is  are as I went and bought some photo paper myself in order to add pictures which I felt were missing from the story. £13.99 for 20 sheets.

Umtali is doing (and spending) a lot more practically to help the events in Whaley than some of those who are complaining.

You can enjoy these pictures (YOUR pictures) on the 12th and 13th of June- next week in the Mechanics Institute. Over the next couple of days I'm going to throw the text I'm writing at some of you and hopefully you can adjust and write a bit more.

Umtali is also repairing the problems with pictures which were moved from one place to another. This was done with good intention and** was trying to centralise photos in the photo library. There are knock-on problems with this which are now understood and the moved photos have now been copied back .

The forum, and the way it works with inputs from loads of different people with different views and ideas is a continually evolving thing. I think the forum works well by finding common ground - which means some people have a right old go, and others are a bit more laid back.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Horwich Ender  
#27 Posted : 05 June 2010 11:32:19(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good morning**

Well Known Norm is correct, the post I am referring to is #9.

It is clear that you originally made a comment on 31 May to which Gnatalee responded. You have then changed the content completely on 2 June making Gnats reply meaningless.

umtali  
#28 Posted : 05 June 2010 13:32:32(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good Afternoon H. E.

Not so sure about the title of this forum “Local History” it appears to me that the most popular activity for some members is sideline viewing of disagreements between the more active contributors. 

If the fire dies down only then do they add their ten cents worth to re-ignite the flames. On the other hand ask these very same people for help with a project and deafness becomes an epidemic.
I would have thougt that you would prefer not to fall into that category

Horwich Ender  
#29 Posted : 05 June 2010 14:09:18(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon**

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but what I would prefer is that members do not change a previously posted comment after another member has responded to it.

If all members stuck to this simple requirement it would make this forum that much better.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 05 June 2010 14:20:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

umtali wrote:

Good Afternoon H. E.

Not so sure about the title of this forum “Local History” it appears to me that the most popular activity for some members is sideline viewing of disagreements between the more active contributors. 

If the fire dies down only then do they add their ten cents worth to re-ignite the flames. On the other hand ask these very same people for help with a project and deafness becomes an epidemic.
I would have thougt that you would prefer not to fall into that category

Absolutely pathetic.

We had a really interesting and informative historical discussion forum on this website.

All sorts of topics have been discussed and family relatives have been traced. People have found out all sorts of interesting and unusual information. For instance at the end of the last forum some people found that they were living in prisons.

Can you give us any such information? No, of course you can’t.

All the photos have come from other contributors. All the information has come from other contributors. None has come from you.

All you seem to do is cause upset and argument on here. You have messed about with threads until they are unreadable. I have no idea why the administrators are allowing you to do this.

You may have spent a bit of dosh on laminating some photos, maybe mine, for the water weekend. Big deal. If Cllr Jon is worried you are out of pocket he can email me and I’ll stand any costs.

Personally I do not know what you agenda is but it does not appear to involve yourself in any constructive discussions with regards to Whaley Bridge. Well let’s be honest you are not able to so. As far as your knowledge of this village goes we may as well be discussing the back of the moon. So what are you up to?

This is the final time I shall respond to you.

I had some good old photos of Horwich End for HE but they will have to stay in the locker until I feel the forum is being properly monitored once more. In reality how can anyone contribute anything and feel it to be secure from you? It also has to be said that a lot of regular contributors appear to have retired over recent weeks.

R. S-S
Norm  
#31 Posted : 05 June 2010 17:42:36(UTC)
Norm

Man

Right, back to the plot.....................

Album updated on the website, still plenty to do though. If any kind soul sees a description is wrong please let me know.

Fernilee Village Hall now on the site. I may and pop and get a few more upto date piccies for it.

Edited by user 05 June 2010 17:44:00(UTC)  | Reason: I must learn to spell :D

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 12 June 2010 12:55:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello everyone,

I am going to post a few photos of pubs on here so that Well-Known-Norm can load them on to the new village website.

So it’s over to you Well-Known-Norm.

First of all here are the changing facades of The Board Inn:

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#33 Posted : 13 June 2010 09:19:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The Bull’s Head at Bugsworth:

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 13 June 2010 09:42:29(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Colour postcard of The Royal Oak at Taxal later known as The Chimes of Taxal:

R. S-S
Norm  
#35 Posted : 13 June 2010 10:43:28(UTC)
Norm

Man

Good Morning R.S-S. and all on this fine Sunday morning.

Website updated with photographs and a rather nice tale of The Two Fountains.

Coming to Whaley this afternoon so watch out, when I have found my passport. I will pop into the Mechanics and have a butchers. Bit busy with the Millars parade yesterday.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#36 Posted : 13 June 2010 12:00:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thanks Well-Known-Norm,

But I need help I can not find “a rather nice tale of The Two Fountains”.

Where is it?

R. S-S
Norm  
#37 Posted : 13 June 2010 12:02:26(UTC)
Norm

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Thanks Well-Known-Norm,

But I need help I can not find “a rather nice tale of The Two Fountains”.

Where is it?

R. S-S

On the website Refesh or Refresh your browser or something

Edited by user 13 June 2010 12:06:15(UTC)  | Reason: Refesh ??

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#38 Posted : 13 June 2010 12:49:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hey everybody,

Guess what?

Well-Known-Norm has just contacted me and solved the problem of the twin fountains which appeared to have disappeared once again.

Apparently all you have to do is click on something called the ‘refresh’ button; its two green arrows, one pointing up and the other down; it’s next to the address bar. And when you do it a sort of minor miracle occurs and the page is updated. And the fountains are there again. Well blow me.
I hope I wasn’t on my own behind that particular door. Perhaps I was.

Anyway after all that messing about he then tells me all I needed to do was press the F5 key on the keyboard and the same thing happens. Well he is from New Mills.

R. S-S
Norm  
#39 Posted : 13 June 2010 15:24:53(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

This may help R.S-S. to get upto date pages.

This is for Internet Explorer only.

In the top right of you screen should be a menu option called Tools, click that, at the bottom is "Internet Options" click that.

It usually opens with the "General Tab" already loaded. At the top is Home Page and below is "Browsing History" , in the Browing History section click the button Settings. There should be a section that says "Check for newer versions of stored pages".

Now depending on what is chosen this will tell the browser what to do, the default is Automaticaly I think. That seems to work so click that, then click OK and exit by clicking OK. After saying that this is "Internet Explorer" so carries the usual Microsoft terms and conditions. What You See Is What You Might Get.

Norm 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#40 Posted : 13 June 2010 18:37:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Afternoon Norm,

I’m sure that is very good advice. Unfortunately I haven’t got a spare 6 months.

So in the meantime:
Another old photo of The Royal Oak at Taxal. Looks a bit like your car parked outside.

Can anybody tell me why all the windows are always open at that place?

R. S-S