logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Norm  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2010 20:51:08(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Website.

The website has now been updated to hopefully cater for expansion. What started as a website for Errwood Hall will in future host other projects. There is a new home page that will contain links to those projects.

The photograph album has been removed, but that is only temporary so it can be distinguished from the Errwood Hall project. I personally think the album is a fantastic project and is a must for the new website, don’t we all love to flick through albums.

On the website is an email link where anyone can send messages to me. Please, please if you have any ideas whether criticism, or praise (hopefully), tell me. If you do not want to send a message to me please leave a post on this forum. I don’t want anyone going away and complaining without telling me. Remember it is YOUR website, not mine. I cannot stress that enough.

Have a look and let’s look towards the future while remembering the past.

Norm

http://www.whaleybridge.net/errwoodhall/

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 26 May 2010 16:03:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good afternoon to you, Norm,

At last we seem to be getting somewhere and as I am computer illiterate I shall post on the ‘Errwood Hall research project’ details of the sale of fixtures and fittings at the Hall.

I know it’s working backwards but we can but see how it works.

Perhaps you can take the details and put them on the new website.

Thank you, Sir.

R. S-S

Norm  
#3 Posted : 26 May 2010 21:41:09(UTC)
Norm

Man

Evening R.S-S

The sale seems to be spread over a few days. So I think I will wait for the end before I commit anything to the website.

Norm

snoopy  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2010 07:46:00(UTC)
snoopy

Really good Home Page Norm.

I am sure other people agree, just can't say it. When will a photo album appear? Has anyone thought of a layout? Should we have thumbnails or just a long page? Questions, questions, questions. Let's get a bit of chat going on about it.

Have a good bank holiday weekend everyone.   

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 30 May 2010 11:29:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very nice post from Snoopy who appears to be mellowing as each Bank Holiday approaches.

But Snoopy is correct; Norm has done a good job and we need some dialogue and photos to help him.

I imagine the new web site can be used as a sort of library and if we put stuff on the forum Norm can ‘capture’ it and put it on the new web site under different headings.

For a start, and this is only an example and people may not be interested, but we could have a topic on local pubs.
I know we’ve done it before and in quite some depth but I don’t think we can expect Norm to trawl back through the forum looking for stuff. It would be easier for those who contributed in the first place to help him out.

Feedback needed here.

Thank you.

R. S-S
Norm  
#6 Posted : 30 May 2010 15:03:42(UTC)
Norm

Man

Cheers R.S-S.

I have done couple of things.

Added "The Sale". Changed the location page.

Pubs, now you are talking 

Yes as R.S-S says, what do you want?

I think I will slowly build the Album up. If anyone sees any pics that are incorrect in any way please let me know.

Norm.

Edited by user 30 May 2010 15:14:42(UTC)  | Reason: Tidied up a bit

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 30 May 2010 16:20:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Norm,

As there has been no reply other than your own which seems to support me I shall take that as a 100% success.

In accordance with the majority of the forum members, well just you actually, I shall start a new thread later today, or in the morning, it is Bank Holiday isn’t it Snoopy, entitled “The Public Houses of Whaley Bridge”.

I am confident it will be an enormously successful thread but there are other topics that need to be covered:

Whaley Bridge Schools.

The Murder Stone.

Fernilee Reservoir Construction.

The Gunpowder Works.

Local Industry.

Friendly Societies.

The Railway (not the pub).

The Mechanics Institute.

The Bowling Club.

Toddbrook Reservoir.

Shops.

Transport.

Entertainment.

For the Water Weekend : The mass trespass in Whaley.

And loads of others.

Let’s get them on your web site as complete historical record of Whaley Bridge.

We need help here, Norm, but it will be a good project when finished.

R. S-S
Norm  
#8 Posted : 30 May 2010 22:04:56(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

I have started the Album, and I mean started. There is a long way to go to complete it, I want as much as possible in it.

I just thought I would start it, just to show you the concept. The choice of picking individual photos and a slide show.

Each photo requires a short and concise description, so any ideas if you see something that "aint right" will be useful, or any other errors etc.

Norm

umtali  
#9 Posted : 31 May 2010 07:09:51(UTC)

Groups: Guest

It was just a cartoon about cronies and hypocrisy, and then I remembered a promise I had made.

Edited by user 02 June 2010 07:10:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 31 May 2010 11:25:21(UTC)
Gnatalee

Sorry,** - I think you have just proved R.S-S' point !  

Edited by user 31 May 2010 11:26:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#11 Posted : 01 June 2010 19:04:59(UTC)
Norm

Man

I thought I had started a sensible topic regarding the new website. Just a plain simple topic explaining my thoughts for the site and also asking for help if anyone has any ideas. It mainly became a conversation between R.S-S and myself, with even a nice post from Snoopy, thanks Snoops.

Then of course you know who comes in with comment in post #9. Alright everyone is allowed to air their view, that’s what forums are all about. In post #10 Gnatalee more or less gives a thumbs down to post #9. So you know who removes the contents so making Gnat’s post rather a waste of time.

Here we go again, blank posts in the middle of topics. I really think this should not be allowed. No doubt the post #9 may be changed again. Can I add at the time of typing this post, post #9 is blank. I presume other comments may be added, or some sort of picture to drag the content down even further. I had hoped we had progressed beyond this behaviour.  I also suspect it is done on purpose.

Edited by user 01 June 2010 19:06:20(UTC)  | Reason: Gramatical errors and speeellling

Gnatalee  
#12 Posted : 01 June 2010 22:18:14(UTC)
Gnatalee

Sorry, Norm - won't be rising to bait next time.

Also apologise for not being able to contribute too much on the website - I rely on everyone else for my Whaley information, other than the photographs I am able to post, but alas they are running out a bit now.

I really like the website - the lady holding the child next to the milk cart is my grandmother and the little boy is my brother,

Sorry again for mucking things up.

Gnats

Edited by user 01 June 2010 22:19:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#13 Posted : 01 June 2010 22:59:39(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hey, hold on there. You have nothing at all to apologise about, others should be doing that. What you said was correct, it’s a pity others leave it to you but that’s OK, not everyone likes to put their bit in.

Also it doesn’t matter you don’t have anything for the website. I get the impression R.S-S will keep me going until Christmas, and well beyond. (June already, help, I actually updated another website to-day with some info about Christmas, but it is one that works months ahead).

Now that picture, I am not just saying this because of who it is, but she looks so proud and the slippers say it all. I doubt anyone goes out now in the street with slippers on, it’s brilliant. It’s just a good all round piccie.

You have not mucked things up!
Gnatalee  
#14 Posted : 02 June 2010 11:11:16(UTC)
Gnatalee

Norm

On the subject of the picture - that little boy will have his 60th birthday this week - how time flies !! Also, the lady in one of the other pictures who is sitting outside Turner's cafe is my grandmother's mum ! There is a likeness

Keep up the good work !

Gnats

Edited by user 02 June 2010 11:12:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#15 Posted : 03 June 2010 21:13:31(UTC)

Sorry Norm but it has to be said, kick the slide shows into touch they really are a--e aching, and can only get worse as you add more images.

They could run for a fortnight eventually.

(Trying to help).

Edited by user 04 June 2010 06:08:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#16 Posted : 03 June 2010 23:42:11(UTC)
G. Jackson

Last week we had the last post from**. I for one was delighted. Has he come back for a reason? Not only that, how does he get away with a banned word? I have been censored for much less than that.

Edited by user 03 June 2010 23:45:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#17 Posted : 04 June 2010 07:31:01(UTC)
snoopy

umtali wrote:

Sorry Norm but it has to be said, kick the slide shows into touch they really are a--e aching, and can only get worse as you add more images.

They could run for a fortnight eventually.

(Trying to help).

I am a bit 50-50 on slideshows. There again they are what they are and I don't believe they are compulsory, i.e. you don't have to press the button. Maybe speed it up a bit? Not sure really. Maybe see what other people think, as R.S-S says feedback needed. We have had two opinions, let's have more.

I see you cleaned up your post after G.Jackson complainedd, that's a good little boy.

umtali  
#18 Posted : 04 June 2010 08:04:05(UTC)

For me the worst one is on the home page, almost hypnotic. The others as you say can be left un-activated. The thumbnails and their link image are fine, and all that is needed to hold the viewers interest.
snoopy  
#19 Posted : 04 June 2010 08:18:30(UTC)
snoopy

umtali wrote:

For me the worst one is on the home page, almost hypnotic. The others as you say can be left un-activated. The thumbnails and their link image are fine, and all that is needed to hold the viewers interest.

That is where we do cancel each other out on what we like. As I said in post 4, I do like the homepage. It is a bit hypnotic and I do like watching it.   Maybe with it just being a part of the page.

umtali  
#20 Posted : 04 June 2010 08:48:24(UTC)

G. Jackson wrote:

Last week we had the last post from**. I for one was delighted. Has he come back for a reason? Not only that, how does he get away with a banned word? I have been censored for much less than that.

Don’t know why you have it in for me, its not my fault William Booth stationed you in Whaley Bridge.