logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jill Radcliffe  
#41 Posted : 28 August 2011 21:31:51(UTC)
Jill Radcliffe

Groups: Member

Does anyone know anything about Fernilee Reading and Recreation Room?

Jill Radcliffe  
#42 Posted : 28 August 2011 23:32:05(UTC)
Jill Radcliffe

If this building was known as 'The Young Men's Club', was this the Fernilee Reading and Recreation Room?   Any ideas/information would be welcome.

shallcross  
#43 Posted : 29 August 2011 10:36:06(UTC)
shallcross

Welcome to the forum Jill

Overbrook is the cottage next to the small road bridge, which is built as it says over the brook, when I was living in Fernilee this was occupied by Miss Mitton who ran the wool shop in Horwich End now the Insurance agents (Ovens).

As for The reading & recreation room it could well be the Village Hall to which you have seen some reference, although I have heard tell of a Recreation room before The Village Hall was built but as to location, I don't know maybe someone else can point you in the right direction, things are different now in Fernilee than before they built the Long Hill Turnpike when both Stonygate and The Green were the main thorougfairs through the village, I walked into Fernilee not to long ago and found that The Green is now almost conpletely overgrown just above Fernilee Cottages, somebody has even put paving down across the old road and cars are parked obstructing the right of way, so unfortunatly just as The Village Hall and its grounds belonging to and been used by the community things do change.

Shallcross
Tony Edge  
#44 Posted : 01 September 2011 22:46:16(UTC)
Tony Edge

Jill Radcliffe wrote:

Does anyone know anything about Fernilee Reading and Recreation Room?

Hi Jill
Ref;---------- T R A C I N G – T H E – H I S T O R Y OF
– O V E R B R O O K – C O T T A G E.--------
Thomas Williamson of Grappenall near Runcorn in Cheshire
applied for a license to manufacture gunpowder at Fernilee in 1801.
He was so successful in 1855 he built Fernilee Hall he died 3 years later of Addison’s disease Addison’s is not usually a directly inherited condition. But a tendency to
Autoimmune diseases does seem to run in some families.
He also was manufacturing cotton elsewhere.

My mother always referred to Overbridge Cottage as the reading room.

I always imagine the building was designed as mill for generating power for some sort machinery the feel of the construction and the cast iron supports are the same as many mills. The water flows through a tunnel below the building.
But Thomas Williamson would not have used this so near to the hall to make gunpowder.
I have enclosed a few photographs taken during the 1950s.
Take a special note of the gate.
Dr Hall from Fernilee Hall made his chauffeur Mrs Townsend lock both gates to the drive every Sunday and Bank Holidays.
Doctor Hall pioneered the breathing of oxygen at high altitude and was used in climbing Everest.

Overbrook Cottage was built in 1864 nine years after the Hall and at about 6 years after Thomas Williamson death.
I remember Mrs Mitten and her daughter. Her daughter a very keen gardener spent every evening tending to the plants.
I don’t know if you can find out more information by looking at the deeds of the property.

Good luck with the research and two books I found most interesting.
Thank you so much for sending a link to Fernilee Cottage
A priceless picture and fills in so many gaps searching for the roots of my Grandad John Horsfield.
Regards Tony Edge.
Tony Edge attached the following image(s):
joyce-winfield-300pix.png
goyt-valley-people-300pix.png
easter.png
overbridge-walks1950s-300pix.png
tony-1955-300pix.png
Easter-parade-thegreen-300pix.png
shallcross  
#45 Posted : 02 September 2011 11:10:13(UTC)
shallcross

Hello Tony

Wonderful Photographs  from a different time scale, the majority of the photos on this forum are centred around the earlier part of the last century so its fantastic to see images of a time more recent but which has still moved into history, I was not aware of the gate tradition but I am not surprised that this was done to re enforce the fact that the drive to The Hall was and still is a private road and that use of it was only ever by discrection, most of the residents I am sure now assume that it is their right of way into Fernilee and the fact that TheGreen & Stonygate have now fallen from use seems to compound that, yet these are stil the access roads, you will find references in other threads on this forum to Fernilee Hall from relatives of The Williamson family and an excellent thread centered around The Gunpowder Mills by RSS, The picture of Fernilee Methodist Sunday School Easter Parade reminds us that Fernilee still had at that time very much a community that lived, worked and mixed recreationaly together, your imput on your time in Fernilee is very interesting and I look forward to seeing if you post any other items.

Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#46 Posted : 02 September 2011 12:21:47(UTC)
G. Jackson

Tony stated that the owner of  the gunpowder factory started manufacturing cotton a few years later.He would be making cotton into what we know as cotton wool. The connection is quite profound; Gunpowder is good as an explosive but it was found that if you soaked cotton wool in gunpowder it became incredibly explosive, many, many more times as explosive than pure gunpowder. This is now known as guncotton.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#47 Posted : 02 September 2011 13:01:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

JOHN WILLIAMSON

Eldest child of Thomas and Mary, baptised Thelwall 22 Dec 1793

Married Glossop 23 December 1824 to Jane Merrill Gaskill.

Children:

Thomas, baptised   Taxal 27 Sep 1825, father gunpowder manufacturer of Bugsworth
Henry Merrill baptised Taxal 10 Jun 1827, father gunpowder manufacturer of Fernelegh
Peter baptised Chapel-en-le-Frith 5 Jul 1829 father yeoman of Town End.
Elizabeth baptised Chapel-en-le-Frith 17 Jul 1831 father yeoman of Town End.
Anna Jane baptised Chapel-en-le-Frith 16 Jun 1833 father yeoman of Town End.

According to Fernilee Land Tax Returns, the occupant of the Gunpowder Mills in 1826 and 1827

Glover’s Directory of Derbyshire 1829 (compiled in 1827, 1828, 1829)

John Williamson, gunpowder manufacturer, Fernilee.

Bowdon Edge Land Tax Returns    1830, 1831, 1832

Henry Merrell, now John Williamson, farm.

John Williamson buried Chapel-en-le-Frith 19 April 1833 aged 39.

Jane Merrill Williamson married to Thomas Barnes at Chapel-en-le-Frith 18 Sep 1845.

Don’t know if this is any help to you!

R. S-S

Jill Radcliffe  
#48 Posted : 02 September 2011 15:08:10(UTC)
Jill Radcliffe

Thank all of you who have replied to my queries on Fernilee Reading and Recreation Room and Overbrook Cottage.   And a particular "thank you" to Tony for the fantastic photos.

I was talking to another Forum contributor the other day who told me that the stream used to run open underneath the property and it was just a one storey building - which is  now the "upstairs".   He said that people used to come to the top storey (now "upstairs" for meetings and used to leave their bicycles in the open "downstairs".   It's hard to visualise, but access seems to have been via the top door on the lane (the lane shown on Tony's photos).   So could this suggest that this was the Reading/Meeting Room?

Also, an old gentleman who had emigrated to Australia and was revisiting Fernilee, told me that he remembered a wheel on the building and that the building flooded once.   Could this suggest that the building was a mill and it produced the cotton wool?

Thank you all.

Jill

Jill Radcliffe  
#49 Posted : 02 September 2011 15:15:19(UTC)
Jill Radcliffe

Hi Tony

Just looking at your photos again, the third one looks as if the structure on the right of the picture is a hay barn?   Could that be right?   That would now be the cottage that used to be Tony B's - wouldn't it?

Intrigued

Jill

Jill Radcliffe  
#50 Posted : 02 September 2011 16:00:04(UTC)
Jill Radcliffe

Having just read through this Topic, therein seems to lie the answer to my question in Topic Fernilee Reading and Recreation Room.   I gather that the new Village Hall replaced the "now derelict" club as the Recreation Club for the young people.

Could this suggest that what is now Overbrook Cottage could have been the original Reading and Recreation Room until it fell into dereliction?

Jill