logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
horwichender  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2010 15:03:48(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Great work Barry!

Thanks for a great water weekend - one of the best ever.

You're stuck with it now!

CllrJonG  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2010 15:07:02(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I'd like to add my thanks here to Barry as well. It was superb organization and so many people enjoyed themselves.

Tremendous job.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Ferni  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2010 16:23:45(UTC)
Ferni

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
yes, well done Barry - that was a total success this year.
I took a number of photos which I'd like to upload to a thread here if you have one started .

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
BarryRudd  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2010 21:53:57(UTC)
BarryRudd

Thank you all so very much.

I am actually overwhelmed with the support and thanks I have received, I have tried to get everyone working together and people involved that have previously felt excluded. 

It was nice to see the Youth of the town looking excited as they saw the fairground arrive.  It made the hard work all worthwhile when I saw those dozens of happy little faces at the punch and Judy.  It was satisfying to see music fans of all ages sitting around the canal basin early Saturday evening enjoying our local bands on a proper stage with a professional sound system-rather than crammed in the back room of the pub.

It was great working with the youth service at footsteps to show the younger members of our society that we care-for the first time a film show and the live football screening with food and drink provided.  I am sure that you all noticed for the first time our young stewards and how polite and helpful they were.

I have striven  to remain detached from local politics, biases and predjucies to deliver an event that the town can be proud of and to set the standard.  I was suprised that New Mills carnival organisers  came to see me on Sunday looking concerned and asking me to change the date of our event next year.  I can report that the Mayor of the High Peak and Andrew Bingham MP were genuinely impressed with the unique feel of our event in the canal basin.

But  I could not have acheived any of this without my team. I don't think we could even field a six a side team for anything,but what a team!  I will be making a statement of thanks when I have had some sleep. 

If anyone would care to start a thread-Water Weekend Photo's and comments - please go ahead-even constructive negative feedback will be welcome.  Please be aware that we also have a facebook page and a website.

Cheers and goodnight for now

Barry

Edited by user 15 June 2010 08:54:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
Norm  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2010 22:22:20(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

BarryRudd wrote:

I have striven  to remain detached from local politics, biases and predjucies to deliver an event that the town can be proud of and to set the standard.  I was suprised that New Mills carnival organisers  came to see me on Sunday looking concerned and asking me to change the date of our event next year.    

Well done .

How many people do they want? We had enough bodies everywhere. I think we should change our date

On a bit of a serious note, I suppose it is a shame they clash. But I am sure that can be sorted out.

Again well done, nice for it to be a success.

Edited by user 14 June 2010 22:25:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Bowker  
#6 Posted : 15 June 2010 16:42:40(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Congratulations again to all concerned.                                                                             I only managed a visit on Saturday, but we were really very impressed.               The weather on Saturday was perfect. Sunday a little shakey, but managed to hold off until late afternoon. How lucky you were.                                                               Well done once again.                                                                                                       B. B.

barrwalk  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2010 19:33:52(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

As the past chairman of W3 for several years I would like to pay tribute to the way Barry has 'taken up the reins' and with help from,yet again, just a handful of volunteers, especially Lucy and Emma, and despite a totally absent Chairman we have just had one of the best Whaley Bridge community events in living memory.

The structure built up in the last three or four years has been grasped, enhanced and delivered into what we had this last weekend. Long may that process continue.

I now organise the boat trips and again must express sincere thanks to the nearly thirty people involved in that essemtial activity. The boats are at the heart of the weekend. Firstly, my wife who spent the whole two days giving out the free tickets and organising and controlling the queues that quickly form as the mornings wear on and are relentless until 4pm. Then there are the delivery and return boat crews, it takes 6 hours to bring the hired boat from Bollington, PLUS twenty four volunteer drivers and crew, many of whom do NOT live in Whaley Bridge but are happy to help, some over the last four or five years. Their rewards are the satisfaction from a job well done and the smiling faces they meet each trip.

Well done everyone.