logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2010 17:55:54(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I know Nancy's old shop used to be a chippy before she took it over, but does anyone know when the first fish and chip shop opened in Horwich End and where was it located?

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2010 19:54:09(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear HE, If you were reading my posts about 2 months ago in a dialogue with George I mentioned the chip shop owner who lived at and cooked on the footpath outside the old Hulme's Coal shop ( see Mr. C). This was about 1925-6. Can anyone go back further than this? I can't remember ever buying fish there but the chips were 1/2 penny for a small bag full and 1 penny for a really large helping.

Edited by user 29 June 2010 19:56:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ferni  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2010 11:02:18(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

last time I bought any chips form Nancy's, they cost 25p for a small portion - and you got 25 chips .... she wasn't called 'Skinny Nancy' for her body size

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2010 16:43:56(UTC)
G. Jackson

Local rumour says Nancy was prosecuted twice for selling under weight fish ( they were good though), the legal minimum was at the time 2 ounces.

Horwich Ender  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2010 19:44:08(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good old Nancy Shake Em Off. You couldn't argue with the quality of the fish and chips, but the quantity, that's another issue.

There also used to be a chippy on Buxton Road near to the spot where Cllr Jean Horsfall-Brunt erects her rather large “Vote Labour” sign. It was next to the old wool shop, dentist and bakery. Has anyone any idea of how long that property was a fish and chip shop?

G. Jackson  
#6 Posted : 02 July 2010 18:04:19(UTC)
G. Jackson

Could H.E. be referring to the chip shop near the old dentists ( Mr. Hugie I seem to remember)? If so, this was set up by the late local celebrity Mr. Arnold Howe who unfortunately died a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 104.  You went down a corridor to the shop from the main door on Buxton Road. He sold it on to Mrs. Styles and her 2 daughters who in turn sold it to Stan. Crompton's mum and dad. To my knowledge it was still open at the begining of the war (1939-45) but was closed before the end of the war.

Edited by user 02 July 2010 18:06:04(UTC)  | Reason: comma missing

Carrbrook kid  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2010 22:34:45(UTC)
Carrbrook kid

New to the site after finding this gem while browsing.

Remember as kids we used to call Nancy "nervous nancy" as she would scoop up a load of chips giving you thoughts of a good portion only to shake off the majority back into the fryer. Portions were small but it was the best chippy in Whaley. Unfortunately got barred by Graham one Saturday night and had to endure greasy Grahams from then on until moving away.

shallcross  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2010 19:43:18(UTC)
shallcross

H. E

You do start some interesting threads.

Memories of Nancys - one gentleman I remember who lived up Macc Road used to say  ' ' Nancy I'll have two fish just to see me over the bridge''  but who had the last laugh?

With reference to the Chippys GJ is correct Arnold Howe did have a Chip Shop next To Park Cafe  he was my Grandfathers Brother, they were both left some money by a wealthy Uncle and Arnold had been gassed in the War and wasn't in the best of health so bought the shop  he was a runner in the war taking messages between trenches, dangerous Job he did well to survive to 104 years.

His wife Gladys nee Potts opened and ran The Park Cafe (previously a Jewellers) she was a well renowned Baker and pastry cook, later after leaving Park Cafe she opened a shop  a few doors up from the Ironmongers on Macclesfield Rd where they lived, she baked and had seating in what was the front room catering for Botany workers.

Before Arnold had the chip shop the  next building down towards Whaley used to be Walkers Fish & Chip shop Mrs Walker took over the shop from her father in law who prior to her ran a Fishmongers business from there,  Bentleys alsoran a Fishmongers in Horwich End at the end of Old Rd / Chapel Rd.

Strangely enough on the Depledge side Polly Shirt (nee Depledge) ran a Fish & Chip shop at the top of Bridge Street and worked at the Shed !

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Arnold Howe age 17.jpg
Shallcross
george  
#9 Posted : 20 September 2010 10:55:46(UTC)
george

Good morning shallcross, you mention Polly Shirt had a chip shop at the top of Bridge St. I remember Shirt's chipshop ajoining what was Sam Williamson's grocery shop on the left at the bottom  of Bridge St. If there was a chip shop at the top can you identify the building.

george

ps. You keep coming up with some interesting info. Thank you   

shallcross  
#10 Posted : 21 September 2010 09:10:56(UTC)
shallcross

George

No I bow to your own memories and knowledge I was only told the Fish & Chip shop stood at the top of Bridge Street, you can't replace what you have seen with your own eyes, please tell us more of what you remember, did you have fish & chips from the shop? have you anything else that comes to mind in relation to Polly Shirts business I have some nice photos of Polly & Tom Shirt I will look one out and post it.

Meanwhile on the subject of Fish & Chips I know this isn't Horwich End sorry H.E but thought I would share this Photo with you.

This is Canal Street

Also the 1926 / 27 Trade directory gives another Fish Frier in Horwich End  - H. Collier can anyone add to that.

Edited by user 21 September 2010 09:21:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whaley Bridge Canal Street.jpg
Shallcross
Lady Madonna  
#11 Posted : 23 September 2010 16:58:48(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Re Chip Shops in Horwich End, There used to be a chip shop at 74 Buxton Road (near Dentist/Park Cafe) in The early 1950's don't know owners surname but the wife was called Mary & came from Chapel.Hope this helps

G. Jackson  
#12 Posted : 23 September 2010 17:30:11(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Lady Madonna,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. We need new blood especially titled (we only have a lord at the moment).

The chippy to which you refer is the one mentioned in posts #6 and #8 above.

WELCOME.

G.J.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 23 September 2010 17:33:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Wow, Lady Madonna,

A very warm welcome to the forum, My Lady.

Well Jon things are certainly looking up on here now; what with Lord Cornflake and now we have Lady Madonna.

Lady Madonna eh?

Whoever next I wonder.

R. S-S
Curious  
#14 Posted : 23 September 2010 20:07:43(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Welcome Lady Madonna

Nice to have another female on the Forum, we're a bit outnumbered here. 

Mrs Curious

lord cornflake  
#15 Posted : 24 September 2010 15:07:59(UTC)
lord cornflake

Lord Cornflake and Lady Madonna,it has quite a ring to it.

shallcross  
#16 Posted : 25 September 2010 22:31:56(UTC)
shallcross

I've had a closer look at the original card on post 10 of Dranfields Chip shop on Canal Street, its dated 1935 so the celebrations would be George & Mary Silver Jubileee May 6th 1935, The  depression years and with the War clouds forming, no one knew just what was coming next.

George & Mary.jpg
Shallcross
shallcross  
#17 Posted : 01 October 2010 21:58:26(UTC)
shallcross

This is Polly Depledge (later Shirt) who kept the Fish & Chip Shop on Bridge Street, not dressed for Fish Frying but in her Sunday Best.

File Attachment(s):
Mary '' Polly'' Depledge.jpg (2,035kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#18 Posted : 01 October 2010 22:45:25(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from post #17. That was large one !

Norm attached the following image(s):
MaryPollyDepledge.jpg
umtali  
#19 Posted : 02 October 2010 09:36:28(UTC)

Groups: Guest

An interesting feature of this extremely large photograph is the photographer’s trademark.
Btm.RT.

It has been cut off on Norms rendering but reads:

HY. ROWBOTTOM
FURNESS VALE.

The initials are open to correction not too sure about the Y
Not heard of a photographer in Furness before.
An enlargement of the trademark is on my website – Correction it is actual size.

Norm  
#20 Posted : 02 October 2010 09:43:50(UTC)
Norm

Man

Sorry just showed the photo.

Norm attached the following image(s):
name.jpg