logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#21 Posted : 01 August 2010 09:37:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well after yesterday’s dramatic events describing the ‘self destruction of one of the murders’ we are hopefully back on track with some serious detective work.

But first a little sermon on behalf of the late William Wood; it’s not too long so stick with it:

Manchester Mercury

5 August 1823

The late Mr Wood, of Eyam.    On Sunday week, after a short notice given in the Sunday Schools of Disley, and the neighbouring places, an excellent and appropriate sermon was delivered by the Rev. Luke Barlow, of the Wesleyan Methodist Connection, of New Mills, on the spot where the unfortunate Mr Wood, of Eyam, was so barbarously and inhumanly put to death, from the very suitable text, "Be ye also ready; for in such and hour as ye think not, the son of Man cometh."    Matt. c.24 v.44.    The scholars belonging to the Disley and Furness Sunday Schools, met at the place about five o'clock in the evening; and their admirable and exemplary behaviour on this memorable occasion, justly entitles them to their well-earned praise.   
It is calculated that there were not less than 2,000 persons present.    After the sermon, a collection was made for the widow of this unfortunate man, amounting to the sum of £4 10s. 4d. a handsome sum, considering the class of the population of the neighbourhood.

Yes very moving I think but the last couple of sentences as reported by The Manchester Mercury give me cause for concern:

2,000 persons present and a handsome collection of £4 10s 4d? A bit stingy you might think but then The Mercury tells us exactly why: it was the class of the population of the neighbourhood.
Well I don’t know about you but I am sure some distant relatives of mine were present that day and I don’t like the tone of the Mercury article.
I shall write a strong letter of complaint to the Editor later today.

Now as I say it’s back to the case in hand:

Manchester Mercury

12 August 1823

Late Murder of Mr Wood, near Disley.    We are happy to inform our Readers, that another of the miscreants, (Joseph Dale), supposed to be concerned in this cruel and barbarous murder, has been apprehended at Liverpool.    It appears he had attempted to enlist, and was taken on board the Mary, of Great Yarmouth, lying in the Salthouse Dock, by the active and laudable exertions of Serjeant-Major Eyre, of the recruiting staff at Liverpool.    On Friday, Mr Lavender, our worthy Deputy-Constable, went over, and on Saturday returned with his prisoner, and lodged him in our New Bailey Prison.    Yesterday he was removed to Whaley, where he will undergo an examination before a Magistrate of that district, and from thence be conveyed to Chester Castle, to take his trial.    Platt, the other accomplice, has not yet been taken.

It is worthy of notice that Charles Taylor, who assisted in the murder of Mr Wood, and afterwards hung himself in the New Bailey, Manchester, on the 18th ult. as mentioned in our last, had been confined in Chester Castle, six months for felony, and was only liberated the day before the horrid murder was committed.    Whilst under confinement he was thought by some of the discriminating part of his fellow-prisoners, to be a very evil-disposed youth.

Good that’s two down and one to go; will our police officers be as successful as Sergeant Major Eyre? We shall see in forthcoming instalments of this gruesome but fascinating tale.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#22 Posted : 01 August 2010 09:40:53(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I am trying to research weather information for sales data and find I am being distracted by this very interesting thread. This must desist do you hear!

Oh, very interesting about the 'jeans' origin. I knew of the 'de Nimmes' connection but not yours. Were you at the original launch in 1600 along with that other doyen of fashion from these parts Vivienne Westwood?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 02 August 2010 16:10:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

So back to the tale;

Joseph Platt has been apprehended and is taken to Whaley Bridge to appear before a Magistrate Mr Newton of Taxal Lodge.

Mr G Jackson will be well pleased to know that even this Magistrate’s Examination was held in the pub.

Macclesfield Courier, Stockport Express and Cheshire General Advertiser

16 August 1823

apprehension of a murderer:

On Monday, Joseph Dale, one of the murderers of Mr Wood, of Eyam, apprehended on Wednesday, at Liverpool, on board the ship Mary, of Great Yarmouth, by Mr Lavender, underwent an examination before G.W. Newton, Esq., at the Cock Inn, Whaley.    None of the witnesses who saw the three men running from the place, where the murder was committed, could identify the prisoner; but he was fully sworn to by Mr Bradshaw of this town, at whose shop he had bought a hat, as well as Mr Burgess, from whom he had bought new clothes for himself and accomplices.    Mr Wainwright, deposed that the prisoner after buying a pair of shoes from him had given the clothes that were afterwards left in this town to two poor lads--and that he had told him that he had just received a small fortune left him by a relative.    Mr Frost, Deputy Constable of this town, said he had seen the prisoner with Taylor and another at the Golden Lion public house, on the morning after the murder had been committed.    When called on for his defences, the prisoner said, he had been travelling with Taylor and Platt on the road to Chapel-en-le-Frith--that they met with Mr Wood, who, after walking some time with them, offered to pay for something to drink--that Platt then gave him (prisoner) six-pence; and told him to go on and wait for him and Taylor at the next public-house, about a mile off--that he waited there above an hour and half for them, and as he was leaving the public house, he saw them running towards him, with their clothes stained with blood, and to his enquiry "what has been to do," they only answered, "Come along"--that he went with them to Macclesfield and Manchester, where they parted and that he had never heard of them since.    The prisoner was fully committed by the worthy Magistrate, and taken back to Manchester, from whence he was conveyed to Chester Castle on Tuesday.    When first taken into custody at Liverpool, he denied any knowledge of the transaction; in the course of the day, however, he related the circumstances of the robbery and murder, and admitted that he had received from John Bratt, alias Platt, three £1 notes and 7s. out of the money taken from Mr Wood.

Right that’s Joseph Dale off to trial and still no sign of Platt.

As the trial transcript is an enormous document and a lot of it is a repeat of what has already been told such as at the inquest I’ll select a few bits that might be of interest. After the trial there is a sort of appeal based on legal arguments and then Dale is brought back once again before the judge to hear whether the verdict has been upheld and also to hear the sentence if has been found guilty.

So I’ll try to put it in some sort of readable order for tomorrow’s exciting edition.

R. S-S  

Gnatalee  
#24 Posted : 02 August 2010 18:33:57(UTC)
Gnatalee

Just thought that it would be interesting, from a family history point of view, to see who William Wood's family were. See link -

http://www.genuki.org.uk...DBY/Eyam/WmWood1791.html

There are discrepancies regarding the murder but it gives a few details of his family.

Gnats

Edited by user 02 August 2010 18:34:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#25 Posted : 03 August 2010 12:57:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnatalee,

That’s a very interesting link and I have read it before some time ago.

The first time I heard about the Murder Stone was when I was about 10 years old and sat with my Grandma and she told me the Council had been up once again to fill the hole in at the front of the stone with tarmac. She expected they would be doing so again in the very near future.

So I toddled off up there to do some detective work and sure enough there was a depression right in front of the stone.
I used to go up with my mates on our bikes and the pot-hole was always there. We put it down to hundreds of people standing on the very spot in order to read the inscription.

But spooky stuff all the same.

Now stick with this topic it’s nearly over and the best bit, if there is one, is yet to come.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#26 Posted : 03 August 2010 18:17:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

As I said yesterday the trial transcript is an extremely long document and a lot of the inquest is repeated and, of course there are the usual character witnesses etc but in those days justice was swift and often violent.
So bearing that in mind I have just used the closing speeches at the trial:

Mr Law : Your lordship forgets that he is not identified until he comes to Macclesfield.
I do not lose sight of it.    You must consider whether he was with these men at the time--whether the money which he paid was part of that which belonged to the deceased.    With respect to what the prisoner had said by way of accounting for his absence at the commission of the crime, you will compare his statement with that of the witnesses.    He says that he was in a public-house, where he waited for them.    This is an evident falsehood.    If there were such a public-house where he says he waited so long, and to which he says Taylor and Platt came up to him, somebody might have been called.    There must have been someone who would know him.    Why was not the landlord or some person belonging to the house brought to prove this most important fact?    It is for you to decide on the credulity and consistency of his statement.    We find that he had a great proportion of the money himself.    We have him running and stopping, and running with these two men again.    The money which has been traced to him is clearly the money that belonged to Wood.    He who was guilty of the robbery was also undoubtedly guilty of the murder.    How came this man in possession of the money?    The very existence of the public-house itself has not been proved, which if his statement can be taken, might easily be done.    If he were present at the robbery, then he is guilty of the murder.    The evidence which has been adduced in his behalf is only to character, but where the facts of a case are so distinct as to be conclusive of guilt, evidence of this nature neither can or ought to be of avail; and with respect to such evidence, you must consider that contrariety of opinion may exist.    It is merely a matter of opinion opposed to decisive facts.    Taking all the circumstances of the case together, you will weigh them in your minds, and according to your judgment you will pronounce whether in your opinion the prisoner be guilty of the crime alleged against him or not.

After a consultation of about two minutes' duration, the jury returned a verdict of "Guilty."
The prisoner heard the awful decision without any apparent emotion; and shortly afterwards a glass of water or lemonade was brought, which he drank off at a draught.    During the trial he now and then ate something which he took from his jacket pocket.    He wore what the witness termed a round pillow fustian jacket (a waistcoat with sleeves) and a yellow waistcoat.

2 Minutes? 2 Minutes? Obviously the jury wasn’t comprised of individuals the like of who were portrayed in the film ’12 Angry Men’. Anyway that’s it he’s guilty or is he?

Manchester Mercury

2 September 1823

As soon as the Clerk for the Crown had recorded the verdict, Mr Jones moved an arrest of judgment, on account of certain flaws in the indictment.   
These objections were argued with great ability and at considerable length by Mr Jones and Mr Law, counsel for the prisoner on one side, and by Mr Hill, Attorney-General and Mr Park, for the prosecution on the other.    The judges fixed Wednesday for deciding upon the argument.

So tomorrow is decision day from the presiding judge and either Dale will walk or swing. Its gripping stuff so don’t miss it.

Just a little tip: Fedup give it a miss, Mate.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#27 Posted : 03 August 2010 21:42:51(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I can't R.S-S, I just can't!!!

I have to be there at the bitter end, even if it means a night spent with the Bells in a darkened room.

I can't wait!!!

Edited by user 03 August 2010 21:43:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#28 Posted : 03 August 2010 21:59:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Lad.

R . S-S
davethescope  
#29 Posted : 04 August 2010 08:23:48(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
In terms of average incomes £4/10/4 in 1823 would be £3,700 today indeed a generous collection. And £100 would be over £80K

http://www.measuringwort...ators/ppoweruk/index.php
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
snoopy  
#30 Posted : 04 August 2010 12:34:56(UTC)
snoopy

That is an incredible amount of money to carry, thank you for working out todays equivalent.

I would not fancy walking that far with that amount of money ( I know I couldn't walk that far without the money either!) You would have thoight that there was a better way. I am a bit ignorant to what type of transport there was in 1923 and how safe that was.

Is there anyone out there who knows a bit about transport in the country around 1823?

buggyite  
#31 Posted : 04 August 2010 13:31:43(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Dave,

I think the RPI conversion is more realistic than the average earnings one - presumably there weren't so many overpaid footballers and fred-the-shred goodwin types around then to skew average earnings.

The RPI conversion gives us a collection amount of £343.00 (so about 17p per attendee instead of the earnings-based £1.80), and for the sale of his cloth he'd get £7,600.

I'd say this is far more realistic for the value of one weaver's cloth. For example, £82,500 would get you over 5,000 pairs of trousers if made up, which would be damned hard to carry from Eyam to Manchester!

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 04 August 2010 18:34:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Buggyite my newly self appointed assistant,

Welcome on board, Sir.

I think the amount of monies and lack of transport are two of the mysteries within the case. William could have bought his own carriage and team of horses if he wanted; but then again was it all his money?

And maybe even stranger, at least to us who actually live in this country, is the description of the properties around where the body was found:

John Johnson, of Disley, stonemason, sworn.
“I live near the Bull's Head Inn, on the old road between Disley and Whaley, about half a mile from the place where the body was found.
Has anyone any idea where the Bull’s Head is/was half a mile from the Murder Stone?
Joseph Hadfield, of Disley
“I live on the side of the old road between Disley and Whaley.
The distance from my house to the place where the body was found, is about a quarter of a mile.
Which house is Joe Hadfield talking about that is situated a quarter of a mile from the Murder Stone?
Edmund Pott, of Kettleshulme
I returned along the old road from Disley to Whaley.    When I came opposite to William Goodwin's house (which is about a quarter of a mile from the road,) I saw the body of the deceased.
Where was/is William Goodwin’s house?

Anyway back to the business in hand: yesterday we left the case the judges had retired to consider legal arguments presented by Dale’s defence team.

Well now they are back with their verdict.

And I’m afraid it’s not good news for Dale and we all know what that means; so here goes:

Macclesfield Courier, Stockport Express and Cheshire General Advertiser.

24 April 1824

Sentence of death on joseph dale.

The Judges took their seats precisely at eight o'clock, and immediately the prisoner was placed at the bar to receive the judgement of the Court.    He is a young man, apparently about eighteen years of age, and has evidently been suffering much illness since his imprisonment.    He was borne into the Court by the Governor of the gaol, and was so weak and tottering, as to make it necessary to support him the whole of the time the Judge was addressing him.
A solemn silence having prevailed, Mr Justice warren addressed the prisoner in nearly the following words: "Joseph Dale, you were tried at the last Assizes on an indictment charging you, together with John Platt and Charles Taylor, with the wilful murder of William Wood on the 16th July, 1823, at Whaley, by casting stones on his head, by which he was so dreadfully wounded as to occasion his death.    At the time you were tried, Platt was not taken into custody, and another of your associates, named Charles Taylor, who was apprehended, destroyed himself in prison before he was brought into Court.    You were, therefore, the only person tried, and after a minute and painful investigation of many hours, the Jury found you guilty of the crime with which you were charged.    Upon your guilt being established, the Court were about to pass that awful sentence on you which the law had said that persons convicted of the high crime of murder should suffer when your Counsel submitted, in arrest of judgement, that the indictment had not stated, with sufficient legal accuracy, the precise manner in which the murder had been committed.   
The Court considering that the life of a fellow creature depended on the objection, thought proper to submit the point of law to the judgement of a higher authority, and having made a communication to the proper quarter, the opinion of twelve Judges had been obtained, which opinion was, that there was no validity in the objection, and that the indictment was good.    You are now, therefore, brought up to be informed of that decision, and to receive the sentence of the law.    The learned Judge who assisted me on that trial is now no more, but it is, perhaps, correct that you should know that he was fully persuaded by the Jury, as men of sense and honour, and could return no other verdict that than that which they had done.   
The Learned Judge who now sits with me has also most minutely and attentively read over the depositions and evidence which were brought forward on your trial, and he concurs in the opinion that no other verdict could with justice be found.   
It appears that the barbarous murder was perpetrated by beating the unfortunate Mr Wood's head with stones, taken either from the ground, or from a wall made of loose stones, near which the unhappy man was attacked.    Some of those Stones were produced in Court, clotted with blood, and having still the hair of the deceased sticking about them, and the whole circumstances developed in the course of the evidence marked as being, perhaps, the most horrible murder that was ever committed.   
A short time before the murder was effected you were seen with your two companions, in the company of the deceased, and soon after you were seen running from the spot where the foul deed had been done, and traced to your retreat, and there you were taken with some of the property of the murdered man in your possession: for it appears that you had in view the double crime of murder and robbery.   
You and your companions were also proved to have purchased clothes in Macclesfield with part of the money you had taken from the deceased's pockets; and as a further confirmation of the evidence, you prevaricated so much in the statements you made, as to make it impossible not to believe you were guilty of the crime you were charged with.    It is a painful and most lamentable thing to observe a young man of your early life thus broken from your present existence, through you having associated with the most abandoned characters; and your unhappy and disgraceful fate, will, it is hoped, be a warning to all young men to take care of the company they fall into.   
The last advice that can be given to you is seriously to prepare yourself for your transit to another world, for no hopes of mercy can be given you in this.    A Clergyman will attend you to give you that spiritual assistance which your unfortunate situation requires.    In this world your hopes are closed, and on Wednesday next your mortal existence must end”.

The Judge then, in the solemn words of the law, sentenced him to be hung on Wednesday, and his body to be given over to the surgeons for dissection.

When the concluding words of "the Lord have mercy on your soul" were pronounced, the prisoner looked fervently up to Heaven, and in a trembling voice said “Amen”.

Hey Fedup this is an absolute must read for the hang ’em and flog ’em brigade; not only is he going to be hanged he’s going to be hanged in public and then he is going to be dissected.
Ouch.

Tomorrow a look at life in the condemned cell and the execution. Fedup you seem to have accepted the trauma without the need for the Bells so I shall not put you off on this occasion. But beware the Gunpowder Mills explosions are coming soon.

R. S-S

parabuild  
#33 Posted : 04 August 2010 21:09:00(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Just past the Murder Stone, on the right hand side at the junction with Redmoor Lane is a large stone building that was once a pub.  The Disley web site : www.disley.info/history-2/ includes a 1960 video which includes a description of the murder of William Wood.  The film suggests that this pub was "The Blazing Rag" where the murder was plotted.  This does not agree with any of the published accounts which state that William was drinking with his assailants  in Disley village.  Perhaps this building on Buxton Old Road was the "Bulls Head"

parabuild attached the following image(s):
bulls head higher disley.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 05 August 2010 13:12:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Sorry but this is one of the boring bits,

Thanks for that link David, I enjoyed the video but I don’t think they did a lot of research beforehand with regards to the murder of William Wood.

Later today I’ll put the execution of the captured man on here and there is a very interesting final statement about him.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#35 Posted : 06 August 2010 13:15:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Here is the report of the end of the murderer Dale. Not much to be said really.

Macclesfield Courier, Stockport Express and Cheshire General Advertiser.

24 April 1824

execution of dale.

On Wednesday morning at about five o'clock this unfortunate young man was delivered up by the Sheriff of the County to the Sheriffs of the City, to be executed according to his sentence.    During the previous night he enjoyed sound repose for about an hour and a half--Mr Keeling sat up with him.    Before he slept he was particularly anxious to be awake again at three o'clock "because you know" said he to Mr Keeling "we should devote as much as possible of our time to devotion." Early as was his removal from the County gaol to the city, many persons were there to witness his transit, and with as many as came within his reach he cordially shook hands, bidding them an affectionate farewell.    He did not appear so badly in health as was generally expected.    Arrival at the city gaol, the whole morning was spent in conversation and devotional exercises with Mr Keeling, in which Dale gave Mr Keeling, well grounded assurances of his hope in death, and expressed his surprise that death could be met with so much happiness as he then felt in its contemplation.    As the time for the execution began to approach, Dale expressed an anxiety almost amounting to impatience for the arrival of the officers, and as soon they arrived he begged to be immediately led out to the place of execution, which request was complied with, by which means the execution was over earlier than usual, notwithstanding which a great crowd of spectators was present.
According to the declaration of Dale made at a time when he could have no earthly motive for concealing the truth or uttering a falsehood, he was not the actual murderer of Mr Wood.    He says that he had little or no previous acquaintance with the two men he met with on the road, Taylor and Platt, (the latter name he says should be Pratt, a person who was discharged from the Castle of Chester only a few days before,) and he believes that when they overtook Mr Wood, none of them contemplated murder, and if robbery was contemplated by the others it was unknown to him.    When he saw them use Wood roughly, he begged of them to desist, and was answered by a threat, that they would serve him in the same way.    He then attempted to leave them but was threatened again, and by threats and ridicule was induced to remain in their company, partake of their booty, and be, as it appeared upon the trial, their servant.    The sum of four shillings and sixpence is all the other two allowed him of the spoil.    He says he was not aware that Wood was killed for some time after.    Wood had engaged him as a workman.

The last sentence here would seem to be very revealing.

R. S-S

CllrJonG  
#36 Posted : 07 August 2010 01:47:53(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi RSS,

Fantastic presentation of the historical events !

I'm intrigued - in post #22 you quote...

"Yesterday he was removed to Whaley, where he will undergo an examination before a Magistrate of that district, and from thence be conveyed to Chester Castle, to take his trial."

I wonder where in Whaley he was held? We all now know the dead bodies were kept in the pubs, but where did they keep the live villains?

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
G. Jackson  
#37 Posted : 07 August 2010 10:53:04(UTC)
G. Jackson

Not too far from the Sheps.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#38 Posted : 07 August 2010 12:59:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello and welcome back, Jon,

For once Mr Jackson is correct; there were lots of prisons in villages such as Whaley.

Some people occupy them as houses today.

As Mr Jackson says there is a former prison just up Old Road from the Sheps so you had better watch out with your late night drinking activities.

Whether these prisons were in operation in the year William Wood was murdered I don’t know but as there seemed to be little respect for the man in custody, who should have been innocent until proved guilty, I think he would have been firmly chained up in the back of the pub.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#39 Posted : 07 August 2010 14:54:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Jon,

In post 36 which gives details of Dale’s execution the last sentence states:
“Wood had engaged him as a workman”.

Now if that was indeed the case I think it would be fair that, even taking into account the protestations of his innocence, Dale was very possibly the ringleader in the whole sorry affair.
If he had been engaged as a workman by Wood he would surely have known something of his business affairs even possibly knowing details of his trips to markets in Manchester. If he knew this he would have also known that Wood carried loads of cash about with him on those trips.
So what were the odds on a chance meeting on Disley Tops with his former employer who just happened to be returning from Manchester loaded with cash?

Guilty as charged, M’Lord.

R. S-S

Well Known Norm, I don’t know if you are about to put this on to your excellent Whaley web site but there is just one item left and that is the history of The Memorial Stone itself.

I’ll find that info later this weekend to complete the story.

R. S-S
Norm  
#40 Posted : 07 August 2010 15:42:22(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Well Known Norm, I don’t know if you are about to put this on to your excellent Whaley web site but there is just one item left and that is the history of The Memorial Stone itself.

R. S-S

It is not my website, it is our website. Our meaning all on this forum.

Yes I have been adding bits after you have put them on here. When it is complete I will upload it to the web and send you the link.

I agree that was a chance meeting wasn't it! Quite a tale really.