logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WILD58  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2010 01:21:48(UTC)
WILD58

Groups: Member

Hi, Writing in from Westmorland I am interested in the history of Lower Cliff Farm, not sure of the correct address it may be Kettleshulme. Liz

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2010 08:28:39(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the forum. I think the powers that be may move this topic from local history to general discussions but in the meantime welcome. The farm you mention is on Google Street Maps if you want to have a look at it. Go to google, type in Lower Cliff Farm SK237BT. Click on maps and the full address will come up. Enlarge the map and move the little orange man to the road next to the farm. Then by using left and right keys you can look at the farm. Good luck. G.J.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2010 08:49:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Morning Mr Jackson,

I personally haven’t heard of Lower Cliff Farm but then again I don’t know a lot about Kettleshulme.

I remember Ricky Hodgson living at ‘The Cliff’ with his Mum and Dad, Fred. Is that the same place?

I can also remember going for walks and bike rides up there when we were kids and Mrs Hodgson said the water in her well was the finest to be had so we all used to have a good drink and fill our water bottles up.
That is until one morning we were out on our bikes early and caught Mrs Hodgson in her night clothes at the well where she was washing the chamber pots out.

We drank from the river a bit further upstream after that.

R. S-S
WILD58  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2010 09:08:13(UTC)
WILD58

thank you GJ. Yes I have found it on Google and Geograph. I will find the thread if it gets moved. I was born in the farmhouse in 1958. It was not a farm then although we kept one pig.

WILD58  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2010 09:10:07(UTC)
WILD58

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Morning R. S-S, there is Higher Cliff and Lower Cliff. I have heard mention of a well being used in a dry Summer, cheers Liz

G. Jackson  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2010 11:13:02(UTC)
G. Jackson

Higher Cliff and Lower Cliff farms are near each other but there is another Higher Cliff where R.S-S's pal Ricky was from.

Higher Cliff Farm is off Start Lane near where the sand pit was, I used to go there quite a lot. Fred Hodgson (Ricky's dad) and his wife Hannah (known as Hannah from the Cliff) lived there with their children.

Hannah could be seen regularly walking up Whaley Lane laden down with heavy bags and some kind people used to give her a lift up to the beginning of Start Lane not knowing that she still had a 2 mile walk from there.

It is said that Freddie slept outside under hedges etc. more times than he slept in his own bed.

Freddies well known quote as he banged his walking stick on a pub table smashing lots of glasses was "Stalin's the instigator"

I know of a lot of other quotes of his and his kith and kin.

P.S. Liz did the pig have a name and what happened to it?

Edited by user 28 July 2010 11:50:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WILD58  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2010 15:08:55(UTC)
WILD58

Hi GJ, The pig was called Primrose and she lived in that barn you can see next to the road. Every year or so she was sent away somewhere, sometimes while we were on holiday. Then she would farrow, this happened five times. My mother was really keen to see the first farrowing but was confined to her bed as I was born a few days early; it was supposed to be the pig first! I have never asked what happened to her but I can find out. We left in 1961 without the pig. We took the dog with us but he did not settle as he was used to having a field to himself. LL

Devious  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2010 21:11:56(UTC)
Devious

Wild58    Higher Cliff farm which is next to Lower Cliff is now a pig farm which is run by a Wild family. Are you related. If  you look on Google for Higher Cliff farm you should find it. I lived just down the road from you. 

RSS  I also spent a lot of time with Fred and Hanna at Cliff Farm. Many times Fred would sleep between the cows in our shipon when returning from the Bulls Head.

Devious  

WILD58  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2010 22:48:20(UTC)
WILD58

Hi Devious

No, Wild is just my name for the Internet. I have had a good look on Google. Last time we drove past I could not get a good look as there was traffic. I have seen it since we left  as my parents live in Cheshire. They rented the house in the late 50s but moved so I could go to school and I believe the house was too expensive. I remember it well though, it was a lovely place to live, and I was wondering when it ceased to be a farm.  LL

WILD58  
#10 Posted : 07 March 2020 01:20:17(UTC)
WILD58

Originally Posted by: WILD58 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Devious
No, Wild is just my name for the Internet. I have had a good look on Google. Last time we drove past I could not get a good look as there was traffic. I have seen it since we left as my parents live in Cheshire. They rented the house in the late 50s but moved so I could go to school and I believe the house was too expensive to buy. I remember it well though, it was a lovely place to live, and I was wondering when it ceased to be a farm. LL

WILD58  
#11 Posted : 07 March 2020 01:22:17(UTC)
WILD58

Waiting for it to go up for sale then I can how much it's changed.