logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buggyite  
#21 Posted : 23 September 2010 15:17:35(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I don't have a copy of that Railway Magazine article, so thanks for posting it, but no thanks for missing out why Mr Hoult concluded it was Bunsall!

There is another local connection here, because W H Hoult was English Master at New Mills Grammar School, certainly in the 1960s when I was there, and he had the appearance of being a long-time fixture, so was probably there for a good few years before that.

I strongly suspect that there will be other NMGS Old Boys and Girls lurking here behind their online personas (like me), who will remember him.

Incidentally, among the bits you omitted was there a paragraph containing the phrase "the cry of the curlew" ?  I was aware that "Walt", as we knew him, had written for the Railway Magazine, and I had read an article by him in there while at school, but all I recall is that phrase, as it so typified Walt's ability to disappear off on long tangents, unrelated to the subject at hand.

He'd be at home here, wouldn't he!

If the article you posted from didn't contain that phrase, then he must have written other stuff for Railway Magazine.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#22 Posted : 24 September 2010 15:53:10(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Now Then, Buggyite,

You’re just going to love this item. Well I think you are; well I hope you are at least.

The Mont Cenis/Fell Railway by P.J.G. Ransom.

J.B. Fell was in touch with the London & North Western Railway as early as November 1862 seeking permission to experiment on one of the inclines of the Cromford & High Peak Railway; this had been leased by the LNWR the previous year.    Work commenced in August 1863 on relaying on of the tracks of Whaley Incline (at Whaley Bridge) to 1.10 m gauge and installing the central rail.  
At this date the stationary engine that had worked the incline was out of use because of subsidence, and the incline was being worked by horses.   
The CHP had been connected to the Stockport, Disley & Whaley Bridge Railway since 1857, and the connection being above Whaley incline; at the terminus below the incline it connected with the Peak Forest Canal.    Since the SD & WB was a satellite of the London & North Western Railway, and the canal was owned by the rival Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, one may surmise that traffic over the incline was minimal (although the incline was fully reinstated after the Fell trials.)  
Perhaps because it seems inherently improbable that the gauge of one track of an operating inclined plane should be altered for trials lasting several months, their actual location on the CHPR has been a matter of controversy and many people have been led astray, including the present author when writing Narrow Gauge Steam.   
I am particularly grateful therefore to Keith Pearson for drawing my attention to T.M.A, 1865 paper Desbrière’s studes sur la Locomotion au Moyen du Rail Central in which their location at Whaley Bridge is recorded beyond doubt for Desbrière was present.
This trial line as built comprised, firstly, 180 yards of straight track on a gradient of 1 in 13½ up the incline.    Beyond the incline head came a level or near-level section; the trial line diverged from the CHP to reach a hillock where Fell laid a further 150 yards of track in the form of four continuous reverse curves of 2½ chains radius, on an average gradient of 1 in 12, but with the steepest section 1 in 10.    The total length of line was 800 yards.    The central rail was double-headed rail laid on its side, centrally between the running rails and 7½inches above them.
The locomotive arrived in time for the first trial in September.    At this stage it was probably named Alpine; later it became Mont Cenis Railway no. 1.   
The trials continued until the following February.   
The principal object of the Whaley Bridge trials was, according to Fell, 'to prove the practicability of obtaining effective adhesion by the pressure of horizontal wheels on the centre rails, and of testing the facilities afforded by them for passing round sharp curves'.    In pursuit of the latter object, two pairs of horizontal wheels were provided beneath each of the wagons - there were four of them - to minimise the extent to which the flanges of their carrying-wheels would bear against the outer rail on curves.
Early trials were no doubt private experiments, but by January 1864 Fell was evidently ready for public demonstrations: The Times on 9 January reported that trials of the locomotive would be made 'between 2 and 5 pm on the 12th, 13th and 14th inst.'    Desbrière attended a trial on 23 January.    The locomotive was halted at the foot of Whaley incline, and then mounted it easily hauling the four wagons, each weighing 7 tons, despite greasy rails.    At the foot of the 1 in 12 gradient, the wagons were detached and the locomotive set off light, using only the normal drive.    It went only a few yards before lack of adhesion brought it to a stand.    The wheels gripping the centre rail were then started, and the locomotive climbed the gradient with the greatest ease.    This was repeated several times, first light engine, and then with a steadily increased number of wagons until all four were in tow.    The train was easily stopped by the brakes in mid-gradient (wagons as well as locomotives were braked) and on the descent wagons leading, their horizontal wheels guided them round curves.    It sounds a practised performance, and from these and similar trials the practicability of the centre rail system was considered proved.

buggyite  
#23 Posted : 24 September 2010 16:28:42(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Dang,

I am playing out tonight, but would loved to have put my two pennorth in on this properly, I think Mr Ransom is partly right, but is quite wrong about minimal use of the Whaley Incline - I bet there was plenty of coal traffic to the Print Works, not to mention construction materials for Goyt Mills at this time. 

I'll respond more comprehensively tomorrow, but if anyone wants to walk from the top of Whaley Incline, across Old Road, and to Drinkwater's yard above Stanway's Electrics and see if they can find this mysterious hillock, that might be useful. 

Perhaps "hillock" is a misprint, and he was actually referring to one of this forum's odder contributors.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#24 Posted : 22 February 2011 19:14:33(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

So Mr. Buggyite,

It would seem that you may be casting doubt on my integrity and even going so far as to suggest that I am making things up.

Would you suggest that this is a figment of my imagination?

Oh, by the way I should have the disc of historical photos of Hayfield and Bugsworth that you asked for by next week. Of course, when I hand it to you you may decide to give it straight back as you suspect that I have somehow created them via my old computer.

And by the way don’t think I missed the reference to the hillock and the not very subtle rhyming term to something you may seem as funny to describe me as

R. S-S

buggyite  
#25 Posted : 23 February 2011 16:09:19(UTC)
buggyite

Man

My Dear R-S-S,

I would never have placed such a slur on your character as that. There are other genuinely odd people who post on these boards, and rest assured, it was one of those to whom I was referring.

Similarly, on the Hector Allen thread,  I was not suggesting for one moment that you create the letters and reports  that you transcribe, purely for our enjoyment, but that you are possibly of sufficient age to have been Jonathon Jodrell's scribe at that time. Whoever wrote it was as skilled a wordsmith as you are, so rather a compliment than a slur.

Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to respond on that particular thread, as it has now become infected.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!