logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2010 15:11:48(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

The web site of Bollington Discovery Centre has a large photo archive which includes a few Whaley photos most of which I have not seen before.  Although they have a large watermark they are still interesting pictures.

bollingtonphotos.co.uk/thumbnails.php

parabuild  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2010 19:11:49(UTC)
parabuild

Man

shallcross  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2010 21:58:02(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Parabuild

Thanks for posting this link

It is surprising how many web sites have photographs of Whaley and Goyt Valley, such a shame that they choose to put a watermark on them though, as they can't own copyright and how careful you have to be with the text as I notice that the picture with the tent on is refered to as now being under the water, but in fact was taken near to Taxal Bridge, but once it's in print it becomes, well, correct and repeated, the only one I am not familiar with is the Coach but unfortunatley it has no landmarks on it and doesnt tell us the source or why they think it is Horwich End.

Shallcross
parabuild  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2010 23:34:11(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I thought these pictures might be familiar to some members as many are postcards.  The coach seems to be heading downhill.  Behind the horses can be seen some placards suggesting some sort of business premises. Perhaps one of our detectives can work it out.  The Bollington Photo archive includes some interesting transport photos including a number around Bollington Station; I'm sure Buggyite will enjoy a browse.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
Outing at Horwich End c 1906 on the way from Horwich End to BuxtonDetail.jpg
umtali  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2010 08:38:58(UTC)

Groups: Guest

parabuild wrote:

The web site of Bollington Discovery Centre has a large photo archive which includes a few Whaley photos most of which I have not seen before.  Although they have a large watermark they are still interesting pictures.

bollingtonphotos.co.uk/thumbnails.php

I have removed the watermark on one of the pictures I think it looks OK

It is now on my web site, Work in Progress page.  I will try the coach image next.

umtali  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2010 14:00:46(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Now 5 of these images on my site

Bollyarchive  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2010 17:52:06(UTC)
Bollyarchive

Hello guys

The reason the photos are watermarked is because they were donated by kind permission of Bollington residents to the Civic Society for the benefit of the community.  In many cases these photos were taken by individuals who are still living or who have family still living and who therefore still have the copyright.  Photos have a copyright of 70 years, or longer if the photographer is still living.   With the commercial postcards it's a different situation.

With Lottery funding we converted them to digital format, available to the public at the Bollington Discovery Centre.  Copies are available to purchase, but not to freely copy and use elsewhere.  Any income we make from sales of the prints goes into the running of the Centre, which is a charity.

I would be grateful if you didnt copy any more without permission.  For those you have, and where you have removed the watermark, could you say that these are on your site by kind permission of the Discovery Centre, and perhaps include our address (can be found on the Bollington Happy Valley website).

Many thanks

Norm  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2010 17:58:53(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

No doubt others will comment.

Can I say Bollyarchive that the "person" who copied them cannot put pictures on this site, and the ones he put on another site have been removed.

Sorry if this has caused you any problems and please continue your good work.

Norm

Edited by user 23 December 2010 17:59:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bollyarchive  
#9 Posted : 24 December 2010 11:33:07(UTC)
Bollyarchive

Hello Norm

You have a great collection of photos on this site.  We have no objection to groups such as ours pooling resources or sharing local history photos.  The more people we reach and the more interest generated the better. 

It's a courtesy to be asked first though!  If any of the ones in our collection are ones you would like to add to yours, I'm happy to send them as digital images to a main member of  your group, on condition you credit them to the Bollington Discovery Centre and add the following link.

http://happy-valley.org.uk/discover/discover.htm

Bollyarchive