logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2010 22:57:42(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Message for George:

Hi George

I thought I would answer your message from the railway thread on here as a new "starter" because it is drifting away from the original theme.

The barber you refer to in Bridge Street was my Dad's grandfather - William Henry Jones (originally from Blockley, Worcestershire) - he married Elizabeth Ashmore of Fernilee. I believe that one of his sons, Percy, took over the barber's later on and so I'm not sure which of these two people - William Henry (Harry) or Percy - is the one with the nickname.  My Dad lived next-door with his parents, brother and sister and when he was seven years old his father died. 

In the 50's, when we used to visit my Dad's Mum, I am sure the barber's pole was still on the side of the end house.  Auntie Emma was still living in the house then, she was WHJ's daughter who never married - a lovely old lady and I think that the house is now joined with the extension with what was originally the barber's shop. 

I have spoken today with Dad in hospital but he couldn't answer your questions about Cox's and Williamsons.  He remembered Shirt's chip shop as being across the road from their house and I took him a copy of the picture of the two ladies outside the chip shop and he said he thought he recognised them,  He remembers, and talks about, Dronfield's chip shop which I believe is the one in the picture.

I just have one question about the picture of the two ladies outside the chip shop - what was the occasion?  There is a picture in the bottom of the shop window of two people and I am assuming it is a "King and Queen" - coronation or wedding?  Is anyone able to pin-down the occasion?  It would be really interesting to know.

Thanks for your postings - they are keeping the conversation going at visiting time !!

Gnats

Edited by user 21 September 2010 23:00:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2010 23:16:12(UTC)
shallcross

Gnatlee

The shop in the picture is Canal Street

I will have a look at the original when i get time and see if i can tell what the celebration is.

Shallcross
george  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2010 11:45:54(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Gnatalee

Sorry not to have come back sooner. Your father is obviously much older than I so thank you for the information.Yesterday I went to see an old lady who lives in the vacinity and she remembers William Henry/Harry but was not sure of the name, however she remembers Percy. She remembers a famous football player who played for England (I expect your father told you plenty about him) and it made her day when he called to see her either earlier this year or last year, I have forgotten what she said.

Now a few items you might like to talk to your father about about,

I remember going into Shirts chip shop as a small boy and they had a new range installed or modified which must have had a moon or sky accross the back and they were kidding me that at a particular time the moon came up. I can't remeber anything else about Shirts, however the lady I went to see  remembers them very well both Mr. and Mrs. and also the girls. She used to go in often and on one occassion they invited her on holiday with them and she had a great time. By now your father may have worked out who the old lady is, I am not identifing her on the forum. The photo of the two ladies out side the chip shop of course was Dranfield's shop on canal street later to become Kirks, Fidlers and Wild's, I might have missed some out. An incident which might amuse you dad happened about 1950 give or take a couple years as I joined the usual queue waiting outside for their chips. Something flashed by my head landing at my feet which turn out to be two sweets wrapped in tissue paper. Looking up I saw another coming from Mrs. Depelde's toffee shop bedroom window. wonderful I thought, as I have always been a dedicated toffee eater, however that was all. I have waited many hours in that position but no more ever came, (I only stopped two years ago). I discovered some years later the two daughters had been naughty and sent to bed so out of spite got rid of some of their mothers stock.

Back to more items for your dad, you could mention Crabtree's shop on the corner of George Street, the greengrocers and cloggers next door on the right going down Bingswood Cottages. Also what was the factory next? 

Best wishes george  

Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2010 13:49:51(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

I know the lady you are referring to - my Dad is the same age as her and he grew up with her and her brother(s) - playing cricket and football in the yard at the back of the house . I am so pleased that the lady in question well. She's a lovely lady and very recognisable on the school photographs as well !!

Will be in touch - and thanks for the information.

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 23 September 2010 13:51:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified