logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shallcross  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2010 20:29:56(UTC)
shallcross

Groups: Member

MysteryChapel.jpg

The Mystery Chapel from the Horwich End Pubs thread

It is the Old Chapel in Kettleshulme

Shallcross
shallcross  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2010 20:33:33(UTC)
shallcross

Demolition of the Old Chapel Kettleshulme by Mr Fox and his men

Mr Fox built many properties around the area including the whole of Goyt Road and the Park Cafe.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Kettleshulme Chapel Demolition Mr Fox.jpg
Shallcross
shallcross  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2010 20:35:52(UTC)
shallcross

The New Chapel Kettleshulme

File Attachment(s):
Kettleshulme new chapel.jpg (548kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2010 20:44:47(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The New Chapel Kettleshulme from post #3

Norm attached the following image(s):
Kettleshulmenewchapel.jpg
Curious  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2010 21:54:27(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi Shallcross

Thanks for solving the mystery chapel.  Mr Curious had actually been past there while on his reckie this afternoon, but he'd not quite solved it.  We'd spotted the cracks on the front of the old chapel, but had assumed it would have been repaired not replaced.  It also explains why I've got the photo as my ancestors were from Kett.  

It just shows how good the history forum is, especially with the font of knowledge you, R.S-S and others share with the rest of us.

Mrs C 

shallcross  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2011 13:54:56(UTC)
shallcross

It always surprises me how far and wide happenings in and around Whaley were reported in the newspapers, you can find many reports in newspapers in areas such as London, Liverpool, Derby, Sheffield, Rotherham, Manchester & York

Here is a sad tale from The Derby Mercury Wednesday February 25th 1824

Just shows that in 1824 it was black and white no safety net of Social Services that many people have today.

As this is a Newspaper report I will use RSS formula of Blue for the Text if thats OK

A Most Distressing Case -

The Rev. John Drinkwater late curate of Taxal Cheshire, has been suffering under mental derangement for upwards of two years.

Immediately after he was seized by this afflicting malady, he was placed in a lunatic asylum, but pecuniary resources failing, Mrs D was under the necessity of removing him and he is entirely now under her own supervision, tendence and supervision at Ashford, without any hope of restoration.

His Curacy and School, which afforded the sole means of supporting himself, his wife and three helpless children, were of course relinquished and the whole family is now reduced from a state of comparitive comfort and happiness to the threshold of want and misery. It has been thought advisable by a few friends, thus to make an appeal to the charitable and benevolent, not doubting but they will readily contribute to the relief of this now indignent and distressed family.

Donations will be thankfully recieved and properly advised by the Rev F. Hodges, of Bakewell, the Rev G. Mounsey of Fairfield, the Rev S. Grundy of Chapel-en-le-frith, the Rev C. Forshaw of Taxal, and by the printers of The Manchester Chronicle and The Derby Mercury.

He must have been well respected throughout the surrounding parishes for them to appeal in this way. I also wonder what sort of school was he running and where from.

Shallcross
shallcross  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2011 13:59:17(UTC)
shallcross

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Taxal Church.jpg
Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2011 16:00:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Very interesting stuff, Shallcross,

I understand what you mean by the safety net provided by Social Services today that didn’t exist in those bygone days.

Just as a matter of interest I noticed an entry in the 1841 census of Fernilee that I was looking through this morning.

Now I can remember the census form arriving at our house when I was a youngster and my Dad filled it out and sent it in.

You had to say exactly who was in the house at midnight and who was in charge of the house and the ages and descriptions of all the other people.
It might be stonemason, labourer, student etc etc.

But I am sure it was down to the head of the household to provide the information.

So below is a household in Horwich End and it looks like Sarah Worsley aged 75 is the householder and Joe Worsley who is 40 years younger could be her son but whoever he was Sarah describes him as an Idiotic Pauper.

Now is it just me or am I missing something here. I don’t know if today you would be able to describe the people of Horwich End as idiots on the census form. Mind you there could be quite a few of them and it might prove to be a very popular occupation.
No offence meant to you Horwich Ender, or Jon by the way.

Horwich End

Sarah

Worsley

Widow

N

Joseph

Worsley

Idiot Pauper

N

John

Jackson

Tailor

N

Thomas

Burchinal

Tailor

N

R. S-S

shallcross  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2011 16:18:06(UTC)
shallcross

RSS

The first census returns to be filled in by the occupier were the 1911 census, before that the forms were filled in by the enummerator (on the doorstep so to speak) from information provided by the Household.

Shallcross
buggyite  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2011 17:00:41(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

RSS,

I don't suppose there'd be room in the "Occupation" box to fit

Equine Leg Counter/Telegraph Pole Spotter

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Gnatalee  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2011 19:12:56(UTC)
Gnatalee

RSS

Another point to remember on the 1841 is that ages were rounded up/down to the nearest 5 years, and because many people could not read or write, or didn't know how to spell their own names, the enumerator would write down what the person's name sounded like. Consequently there are many, many mis-spellings of family names. You were also at the mercy of the enumerator who, if he didn't like the family or had a grudge, would sometimes put derogatory descriptions - I found one woman described on a census as "concubine" - a bit mean, don't you think?.

In earlier times, I believe that the clergy would conduct a census of their parish.

Just a little trivia to help you along !

Gnats

Edited by user 02 January 2011 19:16:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#12 Posted : 03 January 2011 22:48:26(UTC)
shallcross

Another interesting snippett (well I think so)

The Derby Mercury Wednesday, December 13, 1893;

On Saturday the remains of Miss Alice Maude Clarke, daughter of the late Dr Clarke of Fernilee, in the parish of Hope were interred in the family vault at Taxal Church, near Buxton, the deceased who died at Macclesfield was cremated at Manchester Crematorium and her remains in a small earthenware vessel were brought to Taxal by an undertaker and deposited in the Vault in the presence of the Rector, this is the first instance of the ashes of a cremated person being interred in the locality.

Edited by user 03 January 2011 22:49:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 04 January 2011 13:02:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello for the first time this week, Shallcross,

Long before you joined this forum, and I think everyone is most certainly glad that you did, I also posted an article of an internment at Taxal Church.

I think you will like it.

R. S-S

High Peak News

13 July 1901

Whaley Bridge.   

The Cheshire giantess is no more!   
We refer to Harriett Peers, who was remarkable for her height and size.   
The dimensions of the coffin in which the corpse was enclosed were:
Length 6 ft. 6 ins.; breadth 4 ft.; depth 2 ft.   
It was iron-bound, and weighed with the body enclosed, 7 cwt.   
The coffin, which was covered with flowers, was borne upon a lurry suitably draped.   
The body was carried from the hearse to the grave on a truck.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 04 January 2011 15:54:58(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello once more, Shallcross,

From deaths to a marriage that was reported in 1894:

Incidentally I hope you are adept at mathematics; well a bit more so than the reporter. This has also made an appearance on this forum but again before you became a member; at that stage it stirred the interest of a certain G Jackson who was amazed at the numbers involved.
I was half expecting him to come back with a reply but he never did. Not surprisingly really as Well Known Norm let it slip that he does his calculations in the old fashioned way. That is by counting on his fingers and toes. But, according to Well Known Norm, because of Jackson’s heritage/breeding he has far more toes on his feet and far fewer fingers on his hands than the rest of us. So he was never likely to get the answer right anyway.

R. S-S  

High Peak News

3 November 1894

The Oracle and the Daily Advertiser for November 15th, 1798, contains this curious marriage announcement, which will be read with interest in Whaley Bridge:
“At Taxhill, in Cheshire, Mr T. Johnson, of Whaley, to Mrs Margaret Osborne, of Horridge End, whose ages together make 161 years.   
The former is father to ten children, grandfather to 89, and great-grandfather to 27.   
The latter is mother to 20, grandmother to 94, and great-grandmother to 24 children.   
Total number, 272 persons.”

? ? ?

shallcross  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2011 19:21:03(UTC)
shallcross

I don't know how he works those figures out!

Shallcross