logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shallcross  
#21 Posted : 20 February 2011 23:17:48(UTC)
shallcross

Groups: Member

Thought this might interest you

10 years on and he now sends an Invoice, yet his prices are static

PS John Etchells didn't make it.

File Attachment(s):
Dr Allan.jpg (365kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
Shallcross
umtali  
#22 Posted : 21 February 2011 13:41:10(UTC)

Groups: Guest

shallcross wrote:

Thought this might interest you

10 years on and he now sends an Invoice, yet his prices are static

PS John Etchells didn't make it.

It looks like a receipt for “Payment Received” to me so John Etchells departed with his account in order.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 22 February 2011 15:36:49(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you for that Shallcross; very interesting but the fee appears to be 30 shillings not 21.
No matter as I say most interesting.
At the end of this episode I need to ask you if you have a photograph that I would like to see.

High Peak News

17 March 1888

the sudden death of a woman at whaley bridge

To the Editor

Sir,

May I be allowed to give an answer to the letter sent to you by Dr Allan, of Whaley Bridge, dated March 7th, respecting the death of and inquest on my wife?   
The inquest, he says, was held without his knowledge; but if he had had his ears and eyes open he would both have seen and heard what was going on, as the sad occurrence was the whole village gossip.   
In his letter he says that my wife was “manipulated for four hours by a charwoman.” I am prepared to state as truth that the charwoman never “manipulated” her at all, except to bandage her, which, I believe, was necessary in the case. As your readers will remember, I stated at the inquest that the child was born at ten minutes past twelve o’clock, and I was running about the village for assistance about one hour and twenty minutes. When I had got assistance at my wife’s request I went to lie down, as to all appearance everything was going on well.   
I had been laid down about an hour when my sister-in-law and the charwoman came downstairs and told me I had better go for Dr Allan, as the case was dangerous, which I did.   
I got to his door about twenty minutes to three o’clock, and was knocking there for thirty-five minutes before I could raise him from his bed. But had I been aware that I should have met with such an inhuman reception I should most certainly have gone for Dr Anderson, of Chapel-en-le-Frith, or Dr Nall, of Disley, either of whom I might have got while I was knocking at Dr Allan’s door, and without applying for the parish to pay the fee for me.   
The next time I went I was knocking at his door about twenty minutes, and I am sure that he could not have had time to have gone to sleep again, as I was only away from his door about five minutes.   
If Dr Allan thinks it would do him any good I am quite willing that my wife should be taken from her grave and a post-mortem examination made of her body, to show the country at large in what way the charwoman had “manipulated” her. Had I not done my duty as far as I could to secure medical aid the Coroner and his jury might have brought in a verdict of manslaughter against me, which would only have been my just reward; and I think that, instead of the doctor chastising the Coroner for what he said at the inquest he ought to be very thankful he did not speak in stronger words.   
In his letter the doctor does not seem satisfied with the great loss that I have had to bear in the death of my wife, but he also wishes to rob me of my character, as he says my statement is untrue.   
Every word that I spoke at the inquest I am fully prepared to repeat either before a Coroner and his jury or in a court of justice.   
He also speaks of his good relationship with the club and the other clubs in the village.   
Perhaps the reason is there are no other doctors resident in Whaley Bridge at present, and “Any port is acceptable in a storm.” 
Yours, &c.,                                                                              jonathan jodrell
            Whaley Bridge, March 12th, 1888. 

Shallcross the photo I would like to see is of The Santa Rosa at Tunstead Milton.

R. S-S 

G. Jackson  
#24 Posted : 22 February 2011 16:25:27(UTC)
G. Jackson

Wonderful R. S-S, but who wrote the letter for Jonathan?????

buggyite  
#25 Posted : 22 February 2011 16:32:33(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I detect the style of our own esteemed Mr Stephenson-Smythe in that letter, Glenda.

I also suspect he ghost-wrote some of the more excitable letters to newpapers about the Alpine Railway.

He must be older than we think!

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#26 Posted : 22 February 2011 18:49:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Excuse me for just a moment Gentlemen,

I have read Mr. Jodrell’s contribution to the High Peak News perhaps 30 or 40 times over the years.
I too have wondered at his eloquence; in fact it is rather amazing that he could construct a letter to the newspaper in such a fashion in those far off days; especially bearing in mind some of the contributions that you see on this very forum some 120 years later (erm sorry Green Gentleman).
I do suspect it was ‘ghost written’ for the poor gentleman but: so what if it was? It needed to be said and as he was not in the employ of any of the Whaley Elite, being a Railway Man, he had little to fear about loosing his job.
So whoever helped him: good for them it needed to be said and to stand up to the local Doctor, whom you might need next week, took some courage.

You shall see how this develops over the next few days and my dear friend HE will be amazed to know it is going to be rather as if lifted from the pages of ‘The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist’

Buggyite,

I am surprised and dismayed about the slur you have put on my character; the insinuation that I would make up newspaper reports regarding past events is below the belt.
Please withdraw them immediately. Thank you, Sir.

R. S-S

umtali  
#27 Posted : 23 February 2011 09:13:16(UTC)

G. Jackson wrote:

Wonderful R. S-S, but who wrote the letter for Jonathan?????

There is only one explanation any other is beyond the realms of possibility, completely unthinkable in fact.

The scribe was either Buggyite’s or R-S.S.’s great-grandfather.
It amazes me that anyone should even ask such a question.
Lady Madonna  
#28 Posted : 23 February 2011 23:20:52(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Reading about Dr Allen is nearly as good as watching Dr Finlay's Casebook to which I was hooked as a child, please find some more cases for my enjoyment

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#29 Posted : 24 February 2011 15:58:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon to you, Lady Madonna,

I am very pleased to see that you are reading about Whaley Bridge history and even more so that you have placed your kind remarks on here. Thank you.

I would be interested to know of your own views on Doctor Allan’s conduct in this affair.

Later on I might find a little more about Doctor Allan and add it to this thread.

I also hope that Well Known Norm will add this topic to his superb web site detailing all our local history.

In the meantime we shall continue with the story in hand which at the moment seems to be fought out in the local newspapers:

To the Editor

Sir,

Under the above heading an account of an inquest is reported, that I think is unique.   
A Deputy-coroner states a case against a respected doctor, who has lived and done hard work in the neighbourhood of Whaley Bridge for at least 14 years, as if, instead of being what he is, he were the vilest monster; but I feel sure that not one sensible person who has carefully read the report, and who is in the least degree removed from the state that is best described as maudlin, or who has the least knowledge of doctors and their troubles, but must deeply sympathise with Dr Allan.
Kindly allow me to state the case according to the report, and then allow me to say a few words in explanation.   
At about 11.30 at night a woman feels the pangs of labour, and a midwife is sent for, but she is ill and cannot attend. Another person is got to attend, and a child is born. Four hours after, and the initiated will know what that means, a doctor is sent for, and the doctor is told the case. From what he is told the doctor knows he can do nothing to help the woman and that if he goes it will be merely to take the responsibility off those who had attended the case, and who were responsible.   
The result proved the doctor is right. The doctor was not roused till after four o’clock, and, according to the evidence, the woman died at 4.20.
The Deputy-coroner, in his summing up, says: “When he (Jodrell) found he could not get one person he came back home. He found that the child was born. Then he goes for the medical man.”   
The above was that much of a truth that is worse than a lie.   
The facts are (I quote from your report) that “when he could not get one person” he did not then go to the medical man, but went for his mother and sister-in-law, and afterwards for Mrs Holmes. At 1.20 the husband went to lie down, and afterwards having been called up by one of the women, went to the medical man, whom he did not arouse till past four o’clock.
The Deputy-coroner further says: “He (the doctor) does not trouble to open the door.”   
Persons got hurriedly out of their beds before daybreak in winter weather are not, as a rule, fond of exposing their persons to the cold air, but that does not matter to the Deputy-coroner. (What?)
Again, the Deputy-coroner says: “He (the doctor) is then told the circumstances of the case.”   
Yes and what are the circumstances of the case?   
Why, that the doctor was not called until the woman was so near dead that the doctor could do no good. Read the evidence of Mrs Holmes, who, after being twice pressed by the Deputy-coroner, to say that a doctor could have saved the woman, she says “I could not say that he would have saved her life, but it would have been more satisfaction if he had attended her.”   
Exactly so, and the “more satisfaction” would have been that there would have been no Deputy-coroner’s inquest.
Mrs Holmes says “he (Dr Allan) must have the money in his hand before he goes (to confinements) or he won’t go.”   
Now the fact is, and please bear this in mind, that never but once in fourteen years did Dr Allan ever receive his fee until after his professional work was done, and in that one case he was on his way to the patient when the money was handed to him. (I wonder how he knows that)
The Deputy-coroner is reported to have said “he never knew a case where a medical man declined to go in a case of emergency.”   
Happy man! I could in my small experience instance many cases.   
Quite recently, in a similar case to the one now under discussion, four doctors one after another declined to move. Another case, which happened within the last six months, and not a great distance from here, three doctors declined to turn out at night, though the patient was believed to be in extremis. And these cases are not exceptional.   
If doctors think they can do good they as a rule answer any summons; and I am as sure as that I am writing this that if Dr Allan thought he could have done one bit of good, and that he was not being made a cat’s paw of, he would have gone to the case referred to through rain, hail, or snow, independent of the guinea or of any fee whatever.
I should deeply grieve to say one word that should add another pang to what Jodrell must have felt at the loss of his wife, and, therefore, I will merely trust that what he said before the Deputy-coroner he thought was true, but if that philanthropist Archibald Vickers (whose name by-the-bye I can’t find in the latest edition of “Slater’s Directory”), likes to make enquiries into the case, I will willingly give a day with him to the matter, and go to Whaley Bridge to find out how much truth there is in what Jodrell deposed.
I can speak from long experience of Dr Allan’s invariable kindness in cases of real illness.   
The Bible tells us to “beware of that man of whom all speak well,” and Dr Allan, no doubt, has his detractors, he has too little patience with those whose ailments are fancied or magnified to please all, and it is many a guinea he has lost to himself by being too honest to prescribe physic where none was needed. He speaks too straightly for some, but under the seeming roughness there is a kindness that I am sure the majority of the people well know how to appreciate.
A hard blow has been struck at Dr Allan, but from what I know of the Whaley Bridge people after a long residence amongst them they will rally round him and see that justice is done.
I have extended this letter to a greater length than I intended, but the seriousness of the subject must be my excuse.
Yours, &c,                                          
a.h. colles
1, Belmont, Higher Broughton, Manchester
March 13th 1888.

Hmm A. H. Colles eh? I think we may have come across this gentleman in other threads in the past. Probably just part of some club I imagine.

R. S-S

shallcross  
#30 Posted : 25 February 2011 20:48:12(UTC)
shallcross

RSS

30 shillings you are correct but 21 for the call out and 9 shillings for the medecine.

The Santa Rosa although I do remember the said Timber building alas I have no image of it, the nearest I have is of Tom Lane but further along than where the Santa Rosa Cafe stood.

Sorry

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#31 Posted : 27 February 2011 09:54:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Another letter to the papers and yet more support for Doctor Allan.
This time from C A Johnstone of Glen Albyn.

Hmm, Glen Albyn, as far as I know is on Reservoir Road; now where did Doctor Allan live?
Let me think; oh that’s right Reservoir Road.
What a small world it is.

R. S-S

To the Editor

“we mon hear ‘tother side.”

Sir,

Such was the remark of an illiterate but just villager on hearing the censure passed upon Dr Allan by the Coroner.
Another man, a collier, black as the pit from which he had just come, indignantly exclaimed against the said censure, and in manly and grateful tones told what Dr Allan had done for his “missis,” when he at midnight, and just in from a long drive to a distant patient, at once mounted his horse and started again for a ride of several miles to attend her.
In my own family, and especially during a severe and dangerous illness of my wife, I shall never forget his skill, kindness and unremitting attention. Much similar testimony could be mentioned but ‘tis needless.
The “people of Whaley Bridge,” knowing all sides of the question, can judge for themselves, and are not likely to take the advice of your correspondent “A. Vicars”, “to bring to task” the doctor who has laboured amongst us for 14 years.   
We are tempted instead to give a little advice all round.   
First to the Coroner, in such cases as the very sad one referred to, to find out the cause of death, that the censure may rest with the really blameable, and a warning be given to those who venture to undertake what they know little or nothing about; secondly to the accoucheuse, a kind-hearted laundress and charwoman, to seek medical aid promptly, not when the lapse of time has rendered it useless; and lastly to “A. Vicars,” to temper his warm-hearted impulse with the remembrance that there is a “tother side” to all such questions.

Yours, &c., 
            C.A. Johnstone
            Glen Albyn, Whaley Bridge.

Lady Madonna  
#32 Posted : 28 February 2011 01:53:19(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Even in these modern times things can go quickly wrong during deliveries, the good Doctor was first summoned at 2.40am and being only 5mins away with his medical knowledge could possibly have made a difference as it would have been over an hour before the poor unfortunate woman died! Dr.Allen does not appear to have disputed the fact that Mr Jodrell was told to go to the Work House in Chapel for assistance, a considerable journey in those days. The kind-hearted laundress and charwoman was doing her best to help a family who did not have the funds to summon medical help imeadiately in what should have been a straight forward birth that was the way things normally occured, it was unfortunate that the midwife who would have attended was ill, however i ask if she had sent Mr Jodrell to fetch the Doctor would he still have declined to attend! Mr Johnstone seeks to lay the blame with laundress, further more he does not name the 'illiterate blackened coal miner' and if he lived in a property like Glen Albyn was undoubtably a friend of the good doctor.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#33 Posted : 28 February 2011 17:28:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon to you M’Lady,

I am very pleased that you have read the notes on this case so carefully and I most certainly appreciate your observations.

There is a lot more to come particularly from Archibald Vicar who will not let the case rest and the case does become very political.

As I have said earlier M’Lady this case has very great similarities to the novel by Robert Tressell entitled ‘The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist’ which is about a group of workers in the town of Mugsborough.

R. S-S
Curious  
#34 Posted : 28 February 2011 20:07:03(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi R. S-S

I've waited very patiently for this tale and it has been well worth the wait and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Thank you so much for all your efforts and posting your findings on this Forum so we can share Whaley's fascinating history.

Mrs C

Lady Madonna  
#35 Posted : 01 March 2011 01:27:46(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi R.S-S
I am not familiar with the novel mentioned, however at the earliest opportunity I will locate a copy. Whilst waiting for the next installment I suggest Mrs C & I take a commercial break providing the servants have not
familiarised themselves with the 2009 Sauvignon Blanc!!
Thanks Lady M.
umtali  
#36 Posted : 01 March 2011 08:44:39(UTC)

Lady Madonna wrote:
Hi R.S-S
I am not familiar with the novel mentioned, however at the earliest opportunity I will locate a copy.

Thanks Lady M.

I was recently very pleased to receive an Amazon Kindle as a birthday gift –
(Books with small print lately have been a problem – no longer).

So far I have downloaded 3 books, the last being “The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist” - Available via free wireless delivery AmazonWhispernet£1.40 inc vat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ragged-Trousered-Philanthropists/dp/B004CLYGN0

CllrJonG  
#37 Posted : 01 March 2011 10:45:24(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

I have a copy if anyone wishes to borrow it.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
davethescope  
#38 Posted : 01 March 2011 13:52:49(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I got a kindle at Christmas, too. Best gadget I have ever owned

You can get RTP entirely free of charge from Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3608

(Most out of copyright books are available FOC from Gutenburg)

Edited by user 01 March 2011 14:18:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#39 Posted : 01 March 2011 15:08:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello M’Lady and Mrs C,

So two ladies at the same time; things seem to be looking up for me even at my time of life.

The Robert Tressell novel ‘The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist’ is a work of art. It is about the hardships of a group of workers who are completely exploited by their employers virtually to the point of starvation.
Most of these employers make up the local Council and, of course, all their decisions are made to make their lives better at the further expense of the workers.

It is a tale of struggle, death, and exploitation; but in parts it is very funny.

It has sold millions of copies; in fact I think it may still make the best sellers list.

I would not recommend it as good bedtime reading for Andrew Bingham.

If you would like a copy Mrs C just email me with your address and I will have one with you in quick sticks. In fact we can use it as your prize in the Doctor Allan competition.

Anyway, talking of Doctor Allan, back to him later on.

R. S-S

umtali  
#40 Posted : 01 March 2011 16:24:47(UTC)

davethescope wrote:
I got a kindle at Christmas, too. Best gadget I have ever owned

You can get RTP entirely free of charge from Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3608

(Most out of copyright books are available FOC from Gutenburg)

Thanks Mr Dave

The version from amazon contains errors I have come across a few instances where words have merged as below. You version is fine as far as I can see.
I am sure the book is perfect probably a case of poor O.C.R. work.

original fabric, and these patches were now all in rags.   Gutenberg 

original fabric, and thesepatches were now all in rags.     amazon