logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2010 22:11:46(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

Just for George

This photograph is repeated to save you searching through pages of threads.  If I am able to turn up any further information I will of course post it to the Forum.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
wbcsdoorstoop.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2010 17:17:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Also for George,

But for an old gentleman who does not have computer access but who has a friend (not me by the way) who takes him copies of all the photos that appear on here.

This gentleman used to work for the Co-Op and I think he will appreciate this one.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2010 17:48:26(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Robert,

Is that photo taken on Wharf Road?

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2010 18:38:42(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Bug,

Yes it most certainly is.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2010 19:30:19(UTC)
parabuild

Man

As George has advised me, the Co-operative College in Manchester maintains archives of the Co-operative movement.  They have told me that the Furness Vale Co-operative Society was registered in 1876 and merged with the Whaley Bridge Society in 1890.  I have not yet been given the date of merger with the Buxton Co-op.  The College is unable to trace any records of the Furness Society but those of the Whaley Bridge & Buxton are held at the Derbyshire Records Office in Matlock where perhaps I shall continue my research. 

shallcross  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2010 20:51:40(UTC)
shallcross

Buxton Co - Op Token

Edited by user 06 October 2010 20:52:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Buxton Co Op.jpg
Shallcross
shallcross  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2010 09:02:37(UTC)
shallcross

New Mills Token fairley high value £1

New Mills Co - op of course operated in Chapel as well at Smithbrook on the left just past the current Morrisons site.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
New Mills - Co op Token.jpg
Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2010 09:16:27(UTC)
G. Jackson

In the 1950s I used to deliver milk for the Co-op and they were in competion with various private local delivery firms. One of the benefits with the co-op system was customers could buy plastic tokens from any co-op shop in the area and in those days nearly every other shop was run by them. These tokens, red for normal customers and turquoise for mothers of small children at half the price, were left in the empty bottles and the delivery person would leave a full bottle for this. This saved the delivery person handling cash and therefore making it a less dangerous job. Other milkmen had to go round on Friday evening to collect the weekly money and sometimes they carried a lot of cash. I never heard of anyone locally being robbed but we heard many times of this sort of thing happening in towns.  

buggyite  
#9 Posted : 07 October 2010 09:55:36(UTC)
buggyite

Man

There is an excellent history of the New Mills Co-operative Society at

http://www.newmillshistory.org.uk/nl36.pdf

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
parabuild  
#10 Posted : 08 October 2010 11:14:14(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The local society was originally known as "The Whaley Bridge Industrial And Working Man's Co-operative Society".  In 1913 the name was changed to Whaley Bridge and Buxton Co-operative Society.  There had never been a Buxton Co-op and the name change reflected expansion into the Buxton area.   This explains the presence of the initials WBCS in the Buxton shop doorway.  This was not a foray into "foreign" territory as had been supposed and perhaps the mosaic pre-dated the name change.

george  
#11 Posted : 09 October 2010 16:15:33(UTC)
george

Thank you all for your postings and especially David. this information raises a number of questions and comments about the Co-op.

posting no.2 The sign for the Gala looks to me to be dated 1910, this is the same year as the Jubilee, being 50 years since the Co-operative Society in Whaley Bridge was first formed. A plate and a decorated tray cloth /tea towel was given to mark the occasion. Do you know who the man on the photo is? Please thank the old gentleman and his friend for the contribution.

Posting number 5 The Co-operative College  was Stanford Hall near Loughborogh before it was moved to smaller premises in Manchester and a lot of changes have taken place over the years. When I contacted Manchester they informed me the records were held at the D.C.C. records office at Matlock. however when I phoned them they said they only had the minutes of the General Board from 1964 to 1968 and the minutes of the Education Committee for many decades, this was the case when I went over to look at them. The Chief Executer Officer Mr. Alfred Jackson retired in 1964 and was replaced by a man called Ledger until the Society was taken over/merged with Manchester and Salford Society in 1968. Consequently a lot of the old records seemed to have dissapeared, I hope you have better luck David in your investigations.

Posting Numer 7 Presumably the other advantages of milk tokens were to reduce the dishonesty of milkmen and the members would get the all important "divi" on purchases.

I would be interested in knowing when the Co-op block on Buxton road, just by the river, was built or the Co-op first occupied it. Prior to 1950/1953 the building comprised the grocery shop, just where first two windows were from the river next the archway where deliveries were made and I think the orders were dispatched from. Continuing from the left was the furnishing/hardware next, menswear and finally the butchers.

Now i'm going for a cup of tea.

george   

G. Jackson  
#12 Posted : 09 October 2010 17:58:36(UTC)
G. Jackson

George, don't forget behind and below the butchers shop was a slaughter house for all the butchers shops. Imagine nowadays unloading a bull or sheep and ushering them down the side of the now charity shop for their last few moments of life.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 09 October 2010 18:00:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello, George,

Who is selling what in this shop next to the bridge then?

R. S-S

george  
#14 Posted : 13 October 2010 17:24:10(UTC)
george

Hi David

Thank you for posting no.10 that clears up another mystery, I could'nt that information.

Mr. Jackson I didn't Know about the slaughterhouse, do you know when this ceased to used?

Interesting photograph R S-S what do you make of it? It would help if the windows were enlarged I can't read the letters can anyone help?  I am will try and post a photo of a plate showing the block printed in 1910 it shows a grocery then.

Thanks for all your contributions.

parabuild  
#15 Posted : 13 October 2010 19:25:14(UTC)
parabuild

Man

George

The quickest way to enlarge photographs is to hold down the CTRL Key and click the + KEY.   Keep clicking to zoom further.  CTRL and - will zoom out or to return immediately to the original size CTRL and 0.

I have tried enlarging the windows and changing the contrast.  The lettering is still not very clear.  CWS PELAW is visible and perhaps that advertises shoe polish.  Looks like CONFECTIONARY or is it COFFEES  and TEAS in the left hand window.

Edited by user 13 October 2010 19:27:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

5065387052_a5e35e26f6_b-1.jpg
5065387052_a5e35e26f6_b-2.jpg
parabuild  
#16 Posted : 13 October 2010 19:30:14(UTC)
parabuild

Man

5065387052_a5e35e26f6_b-2.jpg
shallcross  
#17 Posted : 13 October 2010 20:58:49(UTC)
shallcross

G.J. & George

I think that Wilds used to slaughter behind the shop when it was trading on Beech Road, also Norman Heathcote slaughtered his own and for others behind the shop on Market Street, now used by Jeremy Unsworth he refused to comply with the new rules brought in in later years associated with the slaughter trade and gave up that part of the business, although his cousins in Bollington continued to slaughter for many around the area including Chatsworth Farm shop, also Co - op Drapers was on the other side of the road now occupied by the Cycle shop.

The Photo attached I was told many years ago was JJ Heathcote Bollington, taken outside the bottom shop in Bollington, but I have since seen it published with a different name attributed to it, so more research needed I think.

File Attachment(s):
Image008.jpg (1,722kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 13 October 2010 21:08:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hmm,

Very interesting Shallcross.

I have posted that very picture on here before.

I think, maybe, it is time that we got together and discussed the excellent historical side of this forum and perhaps how we can improve it, which I am sure we can.

I most certainly need your help in the topic ‘Fernilee Reservoir’ which we must tackle soon.

Jon has my email address and he will let you have it if you like.

R. S-S
shallcross  
#19 Posted : 13 October 2010 21:16:47(UTC)
shallcross

OK RSS

If Jon passes on your email we can talk off forum.

Shallcross
Norm  
#20 Posted : 13 October 2010 22:09:45(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from post #17

Norm attached the following image(s):
Image008.jpg