logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DLS1977  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2010 18:28:55(UTC)
DLS1977

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tesco expansion and the 2nd bridge in to the industrial estate.

I know there are separate threads for each of these issues but having seen the expansion plans over the weekend and then received an insert in the High Peak Review today confirming that there will be no second bridge because the utility company require £1m for the land, the solution seems simples!

Place a legal stipulation on Tesco (rather than the golden carrot that they dangled during their initial consultation), to purchase the land and donate this to HPCC as part of the approval for the store enlargement. Tesco gets what it wants and so does the town of Whaley (the land to allow the second bridge to be built).

Based on Tesco going from a 20,000sq foot store to 30,000sq you'd assume a 50% increase in turnover / profits. I imagine that would cover the £1m cost pretty quickly.

Just a thought...

Now to solve the problem of heavy freight trains potentially rattling past my house at speed. Long live bridge 42!
barrwalk  
#2 Posted : 04 November 2010 14:20:59(UTC)
barrwalk

Groups: Member
Man

Tesco would have built a bridge when they first came here (1980's ?) but our chattering class decided they could not allow Tesco to have a store as big as they wanted, and so Tesco pulled out.

What a difference it would have made to the Whaley Bridge community. It did not save our shops did it? They have still gone, by the score.