logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
margobo  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2010 19:18:26(UTC)
margobo

Groups: Member

Hi, I am new to this very interesting site. My great grandfather WILLIAM COTTRILL HIBBERT was born on 10 May 1860 at Lower Horwich, Whalley Bridge. Please could anyone tell me where this is?

shallcross  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2010 21:23:49(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Margobo

Welcome to the Whaley Forum

I will try and help you, but to pin point what you are looking for may be difficult.

In 1861 you have to think of Whaley Bridge split into two halves one side of the river Goyt in Cheshire (Taxal & Yeardsley) and the other side in Derbyshire (Fernilee) as it was Lower Horwich is an area rather than a specific property, the best way to try and explain is for you to look at a modern map of the area, Horwich End is stiil marked, this is the area around the road junction you can see from Buxton, Macclesfield & Chapel, Horwich End stretches to around about the Cock Hotel / Railway Bridge, above there you will find Old Road, above that is the area known as New Horwich (Cricket field) next to that on the map look for Bingswood and the Bings, Lower Horwich is the area below Bingswood & New Horwich on one side, Horwich End on the other and the River Goyt at the bottom,

I did note that your Ancestor had moved to Green Fairfield nr Buxton in 1871 and the family were then Farming, the opportunities for farming in Lower Horwich would have been  limited. 

Hope this helps

Shallcross
margobo  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2010 20:55:09(UTC)
margobo

Thanks so much for this swift reply. I am now nearer to pinpointing where my great grandfather was actually born. The family where in Whaley Bridge in 1861 but the father was elsewhere - probably looking for work. By 1871 they were at Garden House,Tongue Lane, Fairfield which is still there. In 1891 they moved to Manchester. I have traced the Hibbert family back in the Taxal registers to the 1700s and would like to contact anyone else who is related.
buggyite  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2010 21:05:51(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I don't know if you know about the Diaries of John Warren (which are on t'interweb), but he mentions the following who might be related to you:

1859 Monday August 22th Jemes HIBBERT Left Whaley Bridge Print Works and commenced Working for the London and N W Real Way  Companey at Whaley Bridge Station

1863 Wedensday Night June 3th James HIBBERT William WALKER and Peter GOULD got into a emty waggon at the top of Shallkross plean

1871 Friday Jenuarey 13th James HIBBERT Died in the Chapel enlefrith Work house he was a Docter at Whaley Bridge 

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 30 October 2010 09:32:32(UTC)
G. Jackson

The church on Chapel Street has a stone laid by a Mr. Hibbert but I cannot remember his first name. Is this worth a look?