logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sarah lou  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2010 17:14:07(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Can anybody enlighten me as to why there where 2 services held at the cenotaph on sunday morning.. the first one was held at the correct time attended by a handful of  dedicated people .. an announcement was made regarding the absence of the church and  various dignataries... but it was unclear ... the second service was held considerably later at 12.15  attended by i presume all the correct people....  i was a little bit confused to  say the least .. so attended both ...

Over the hill but not far away  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2010 19:51:18(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Groups: Member

Good Evening Sarah

See here for details of this years official ceremonies http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=728

The gathering prior to11 AM was not "official"  After the confusion of last year, it was felt by some that at the very least the start and end of the two minutes silence should be indicated and that someone could perhaps say a few words befitting the occasion. 

It is quite natural for newcomers to assume that a service would take place at the memorial at 11 AM.  Thankfully Jean Horsfall has been present to explain the situation and arrangements.

I will leave it to others more informed to explain why the official service is held where it is.

Cheers

Edited by user 15 November 2010 19:57:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2010 17:21:40(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I too am a little confused,

Surely the whole point of having a war memorial is that on remembrance sunday at the 11th hour people pay their respects to the fallen in conflict at the memorial?

Why therefore was the service in the church at that time? Its a bit like the Queen going to a service in Westminster Abbey then laying wreaths sometime afterwards at the Cenotaph in Whitehall. By all means hold a service of remembrance but hold it at 10am or 12 noon, not at 11am.

I expect this question has been asked before, why have we got two memorials, I refer to the one in the Park and by the Jodrell?

shallcross  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2010 20:32:11(UTC)
shallcross

It does seem that there was confusion over the services in the park, maybe someone from The British Legion could comment?

As for the memorials we can have any number of memorials, many towns like in Buxton on Bennett Street where there is a  memorial plaque to the fallen on that street or area, there is another up at the Cemetary (not on public view unfortunately) but we only have one War Memorial.

Shallcross
tyke  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2010 19:55:36(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Hmm no reply....... surely somebody must know why remembrance sunday is done the way it is in WB. I feel there must be a good reason as this does break from the normal format of established ceremonies held elsewhere.

Horwich Ender  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2013 19:36:25(UTC)
Horwich Ender

pensionman  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2013 09:02:47(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Quite astonishing! How much is being thrown at the refurb round the corner from it? Wrong priorities Heak Peak Council & totally disrespectful to the families of the fallen & continuing to fall.
Horwich Ender  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2013 19:50:16(UTC)
Horwich Ender

The memorial madness has now escalated to a new level.

It's made it into the National Press.

Councillor John Swift is quoted in the Daily Mirror saying “Did the people whose names are on the cenotaph think of health and safety when they went to war for our country? No! Some of the lads marching haven't got many years left in them and now they won't be allowed to pay their respects properly.”

Lets hope the strongly worded letter to Simon Baker and Caitlin Bisknell has the desired effect.

Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 04 October 2013 16:13:28(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

The Mysterious Man from Madscar isn't backing down in this fight.

He's in the Buxton Advertiser again this week.

As we know Cllr John Swift has gone over the head of Godfrey Claff, who is the HPBC Executive Member responsible for the regeneration of Whaley Park, and has written directly to Simon Baker and Caitlin Bisknell.

A top level meeting has been arranged between Godfrey Claff and Simon Baker and Cllr Swift is hopeful that the planned works in the Memorial Park might be delayed.

Cllr Swift is quoted as saying “ We hope that they will be willing to reschedule the works for the two hours we need the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday. The Memorial Park was given to the town by the Jodrell family to honour the war dead and we do feel the cenotaph with the names on should be open. We, the younger end, should stand up for those older people that are probably a little bit more frail than ourselves. It's up to us to stand up and be counted.”

It remains to be seen whether Cllr Swift is successful but if previous experience of High Peak Borough Council is anything to go by, they will go through the motions, make sympathetic comments, but will then endorse Glossop Godfrey's original decision and the War Memorial will not be available on Remembrance Sunday.

I hope I am wrong but I feel Cllr Swift may well be flogging a dead horse.

Horwich Ender  
#10 Posted : 13 October 2013 19:17:38(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening.

High Peak Borough Council have said they cannot change work schedules on the multi-thousand pound makeover of the park, including path access to the Cenotaph. The paths will be closed to the public, and the Cenotaph ‘scaffolded and boarded’ on Remembrance Sunday.

The Royal British Legion have regrettably had to abandon their planned service on Remembrance Sunday round the Cenotaph in the Memorial Park.
Cllr John Swift should be congratulated on his efforts, but as I feared, he has been

Horwich Ender  
#11 Posted : 17 October 2013 19:51:06(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening.

The Mysterious Man from Madscar is not letting go of the Memorial Park Madness and has now got his tape measure out.
It would appear he doesn't believe he is and still thinks he can overturn Glossop Godfrey's decision.

Once more he's in the Buxton Advertiser, this time with an open letter to Simon Baker re: his general reply to the people of Whaley Bridge.

Cllr John Swift wrote:

Your statement that the cenotaph was open last year is correct, but you have obviously not been told that our community was not informed of this. I am intrigued where your information is coming from on such a sensitive issue. Have you made your own enquiries? I am told by the officers involved (High Peak Borough Council and the contractor) that landscaping and footpaths are the main works on the cenotaph side of the Memorial Park.

I have measured the nearest and practically only tree likely to cause problems, it is 15 metres from the cenotaph. A bona fide tree surgeon in tight places uses a device fitted to the tree concerned to lower the branches to the base of the tree. Therefore, why does the cenotaph need to be boarded up? There must be at least 1,000 metres of paths in this part of the park and more than one route to get to the cenotaph. Only one route needs to remain open which we could mark and police.

I am told Simon that you are the boss and can (with a will) make Remembrance Sunday in the Memorial Park happen.

The Mysterious Man from Madscar is certainly showing tremendous passion for this subject and it will be interesting to see what response is received from the Chief Executive of High Peak Borough Council.

Horwich Ender  
#12 Posted : 20 October 2013 18:24:20(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening.

Glossop Godfrey apologises to Whaley Bridge residents but doesn't change his decision to deny access to the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/council-s-apology-on-cenotaph-closure-1-6163427

Horwich Ender  
#13 Posted : 01 November 2013 17:04:00(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

The Mysterious Man from Madscar is still fighting to get the Cenotaph open on Remembrance Day Sunday.

This week he's been on High Peak Radio where he said “I got involved with this because I think it was about time that some of us younger ones, me being 68, stand up for them, just like all those lads, and some lasses, did all those years ago.”

Cllr John Swift is certainly showing admirable tenacity and we will soon find out whether all his efforts have been worthwhile.

Horwich Ender  
#14 Posted : 04 November 2013 19:43:42(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Originally Posted by: Jean Go to Quoted Post

Those of us who usually mark Remembrance Sunday in the Memorial Park at 11.00am will still be meeting as near as possible to the Cenotaph from the Wheatsheaf Road entrance at about 10.50am.

Regrettably the sterling efforts of Cllr John Swift have been to no avail and the Cenotaph will not be accessible on Sunday.

Following the decision of High Peak Borough Council to shut the Memorial Park on Remembrance Sunday after ignoring local opposition and the pleas of Whaley Bridge Town Council, the final timetable of remembrance has been published.

The final timetable of remembrance events on Sunday 10 November in the Whaley Bridge area  will now be:

Furness Vale war memorial, Last Post 9.30am

Bridgemont war memorial, laying of wreaths 9.55am

Whaley Bridge, Canal St, Royal British Legion members assemble to march to Holy Trinity church, 10.10am

Holy Trinity church,  Buxton Road, remembrance service, conducted by the Rev Margaret Jones. All seated by 10.30am, service to start at 10.45.  The Last Post will be sounded in church.

The Cross, Whaley Bridge station approach, about 12 noon after procession from Holy Trinity: remembrance service, including Last Post

For those who still wish to pay their respects in the Memorial Park and prefer the alternative non religious service, Jean Horsfall-Brunt's “unofficial” ceremonial group will still meet at the Wheatsheaf Road park entrance on 10 November.

They have been holding a non religious gathering at the traditional time for some years now and it is the intention for this to become an annual event.

We will remember them

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Derbyshire/WhaleyBridge.html

dougie  
#15 Posted : 10 November 2013 12:50:30(UTC)
dougie

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have personal memories of friends lost in action. I am unashamed to say I stepped over the roped area in front of the Jodrell cross and had my own minute remembering the people who matter on this day. I,m an apolitical bloke and find the whole nonesense attached in local govt as to how this pantomime has been allowed to happen is at best disrespectful to the nature of todays occasion. Someone needs to give themselves a good looking at.
thanks 2 users thanked dougie for this useful post.
tarboat on 10/11/2013(UTC), pensionman on 10/11/2013(UTC)
pensionman  
#16 Posted : 10 November 2013 15:04:37(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Well said Dougie. My Dad served in the Fleet Air Arm & always reminded me on any family birthday's of his own 21st birthday when a Kamikasi fighter hit his ship killing 21 of his buddies & distorting the bodies of many. He only talked about that one war experience. Everyone will have memory of a relative who has served & may or may not have survived. But they endured. So when jobsworth beaurocrats dictate such claptrack behind their bunker of adesk & centrally heated office, like this recent dictac, it makes me want to scream at their insensitivity. The contractor also has to bear some responsibility for not planning their work in order to make the site visitor-safe for half an hour on a solemn November morning. So well done High Peak borough Council & I applaud Dougie for his manouvre. The Council should be ashamed & made a concerted effort to have had the memorial park open, for that's what is, a park to remember those who gave. I bet few will not forget or forgive this one.
Wanderer returns  
#17 Posted : 10 November 2013 17:33:01(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Dougie - you did the right thing and no one will think bad of you for doing it. It's dreadful that the memorial was not available today. Had the service been in the correct place I would have been there but instead I watched the coverage from London on tv, tears ran down my face as always.

We will remember
thanks 1 user thanked Wanderer returns for this useful post.
Norm on 12/11/2013(UTC)
Horwich Ender  
#18 Posted : 03 May 2014 11:29:06(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

A rededication of the war memorial in Whaley Bridge Memorial Park to commemorate WW 1 has been arranged for Sunday 11 May 2014.

Everyone is welcome and those wanting to attend should assemble on Wheatsheaf Road at 10.30am.