logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#21 Posted : 25 November 2010 17:01:08(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon george.

You mentioned in a previous posting “ I apologise if this is boring” but please do not think for a second that any of your contributions are in anyway boring. Your postings on this forum are always informative and interesting and please continue to share with us your undoubted knowledge of Whaley Bridge both past and present.

I know for a fact that other forum members share my views and we very much look forward to your contributions. I'm aware that in the past you have had difficulties in posting some of your photo's but please do persevere as when you are eventually successful some of your photographs are absolutely fantastic.

shallcross  
#22 Posted : 26 November 2010 23:58:25(UTC)
shallcross

Here's a puzzler for everyone, does anyone remember where  this seasonal window dressing was displayed in the late 50s early 60s?  I will just say it was Horwich End area.

Shallcross
shallcross  
#23 Posted : 27 November 2010 00:02:58(UTC)
shallcross

Here's a puzzler for everyone, does anyone remember where  this seasonal window dressing was displayed in the late 50s early 60s?  I will just say it was Horwich End area.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Image016.jpg
Shallcross
snowy  
#24 Posted : 27 November 2010 00:07:52(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

You are never boring George.

Just to  add a couple from my very hazy memories of the fifties.

Hulme and Plants grocery store in Wharf Road (at the bottom of the steps up to Reservoir Road).

Beard's jewellery shop on Buxton Road opposite the male hen.

parabuild  
#25 Posted : 27 November 2010 07:49:32(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Can anyone identify this location ?  I know it is not the 1950's, it's probably long before and it might not be Whaley Bridge (could be New Mills).  Not much in the photo to help either !

parabuild attached the following image(s):
shop-No.6.jpg
Gnatalee  
#26 Posted : 27 November 2010 11:45:28(UTC)
Gnatalee

Re: Post no. 8

Hello George

I have been reading with great interest about all the different shops in Whaley over the years - thank you for posting and putting in all the hard work !

By strange coincidence, when I received my latest membership magazine from the Cheshire Family History Society, I found that one member's interests were the Kinder family of Chapel-en-le-Frith from 1750-1820 and also the Kinder family in Glossop/Horwich/Whaley Bridge in 18th & early 19th century. Of course, the little boy in the kilt standing outside the shop may well be one of the family she is looking for and I will contact the member and point her in the direction of the forum.

You never know who you are helping out in these discussions and I always look forward to the next instalment ! Thank you George. 

Gnats

Edited by user 27 November 2010 11:48:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#27 Posted : 27 November 2010 16:14:49(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you for your encourargement.

Some time ago Peartree crafts had a string of photos showing the shops on the east side of Market St. It was framed and the price was £35. I don't know if they still have it for sale or if the photos can be bought seperately. If it is too late to buy one Footsteps has a copy of it and you can look at it, you will find it on the wall behind the counter, you can look at this for no charge and also any other of the collection it has,

Now for more memories,

In the early 1930's the Crabtree family moved from the shop at George St. to carry on their grocery and greengrocery business at no.12 market St. (Leathems Soliciters now). Your father mey remember them Gnatalee, they continued through the 1950's into the sixties and if my memony is correct, I think Ernest told me it was 1969 when they changed to a launderette in the basement and snack bar on the ground floor. They continued until they retire in June1985 and I am trying to attach a photo of the last day. I find it is too many pixels so if you can help Norm I would be obliged, I don't have time to learn  how to do it myself and add information on this topic too.

george

File Attachment(s):
Norm  
#28 Posted : 27 November 2010 16:38:50(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

George's piccy from post #27

Norm attached the following image(s):
Copy of Ernest%20and%20Ernest%20and%20MargeratCrabtree20June1985.jpg
G. Jackson  
#29 Posted : 27 November 2010 17:04:08(UTC)
G. Jackson

Ernest and Margaret Crabtree had a daughter, I can't remember her name, but she had a Shetland pony which she kept on the field opposite the council offices on Reservoir Road.

george  
#30 Posted : 28 November 2010 14:53:36(UTC)
george

Hi G.J. The daughter's name is Ann. Ernest also kept hens on the same field. In his younger days he was very interested in farming.

george

george  
#31 Posted : 29 November 2010 11:12:28(UTC)
george

During the late 1940's into the 1950's a few shops changed owners.

Mortens butchery shop which was next door but one passed the Mechanics to the south was bought by Plants and became a furnishing shop.

Burgons left the shop now occupied by Blythe House charity and moved to the opposite side of Market St. using what are now both the pet and greengrocery shops. Previously there had been a house where a nurse lived.

The Whaley Bridge and Buxton Co-op bought Burgons old shop and may have bought all the block from the old post office up to the old bank on the corner of Wharf Rd. However, it enabled the society to create a wine and spirit shop, then next door the furniture shop and then the shoe shop (which had previously been on Beech Rd). The Co-op drapery expanded to fill the space left by the shoe shop.

The Co-op also bought the row of three small shops now occupied Jenks opticans and Rowcliffs. Then they moved their tailoring shop into where the opticans is and a chemists into the remainder of the premises. Prevoiusly one of the three shops had been a chemists

Re-locating the furnishing and men's wear from the building next to the Co-op grocery on Buxton Rd. enabled them to expand their grocery shop and it opened as a self-service shop in early 1953.

Just to summarise the co-op now had a grocers, butchers, wine ,furniture, shoe, drapery, chemists and tailoring shop.

george

george  
#32 Posted : 29 November 2010 18:42:52(UTC)
george

This morning I failed to mention that the Co-op shoe shop was not next to the furnishing shop for many years. About 1954 it was moved to 16 Market St. (now the Chinese chip shop) which previously  had been Dowdell's drapery shop,they also had a cafe down stairs.

george

george  
#33 Posted : 08 December 2010 12:08:49(UTC)
george

I can't ignore what to me became the most prestigious shop on the Whaley Bridge High St. Plants the furnishers.

Chatting with one of Whaley Bridge's very old celebrities I have been getting some of the following information. Proir to 1932 Leonard Plant was to the right of what is now "Footsteps" selling furniture (and Harold Plant had the next shop going towards the bridge selling records), from here it moved to round Wharf Rd. on the right of the steps to reservoir Rd. and soon expanded into the premises on the left of the steps. In late 40's Plants came back on the high St. buying Mortens butchers shop which is now the one next to Gascoigne Halman and established the business which was to later take over the whole block. In the 1950's shops kept goods on the premises.The first 3piece suite we bought we tried out in Plants shop in the morning and we were sitting on it our lounge at the night of the same day, no waiting for a few weeks to it being delivered. They sold high quality furniture one couple I knew ( not from Whaley) moved to live in Poole Dorset, some time later wanting more furniture they toured the area to find the quality they were used to without success and came all the way back to W. B. and bought it from Plants who delivered it. This is one of many examples. 

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 08 December 2010 15:42:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

george  
#35 Posted : 09 December 2010 10:33:58(UTC)
george

Thanks for your photo R S-S I didn't know Plants furniture shop had been there, another piece to the jigsaw.

george

MERMAID HELEN  
#36 Posted : 09 December 2010 22:23:25(UTC)
MERMAID HELEN

please pass on my best wishes to George for me.

Send my love from Mermaid Helen.

Thanks

george  
#37 Posted : 10 December 2010 15:33:22(UTC)
george

Hi mermaid, welcome on board, now you have logged on o.k. you will be in the swim of things.Please give my best wishes to "who cares".

More on shops in the 1950's,

On Buxton Rd. not far past the church charity shop was a sweet shop belonging to Mr.Moore his claim to fame (to me) was that if the scales were a ml. over he would cut one in half. I have seen him do it with caramels I don't know what he would do in the case of a hard boiled one. I some times went in to see if he was selling the halfs off cheaply.

Another feature in the 1950's was that some grocery shops sold broken biscuits cheaply, I have bought many a half pound for three and half pence at the co-op. If I was luckly and xxxxx xxxxxx served me he usually sold me almost threequarters of a pound and included a few full bisuits for the same price. Nowadays one of the largest grocers we all know sell them in packets at full price, such is progress.

george

G. Jackson  
#38 Posted : 10 December 2010 16:51:30(UTC)
G. Jackson

George can obviously remember sweet rationing after the war. This was one of the reasons toffees were cut in half. I remember Tommy Golding (near The Railway)cutting caramels up to make 2ozs. My, those were the days.

I went to the old fashioned toffee shop in the arcade in Buxton last week. It brought back so many memories." I'll have some of those and some of those and so on". At the check out I had spent over £15.00 on toffees.

Bring back rationing.

Edited by user 10 December 2010 16:52:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#39 Posted : 11 December 2010 17:26:02(UTC)
george

Thank you G Jackson now I understand better.

The was an historic occasion to me, until two years ago I had been a "professional toffee eater". Now you youngsters don't think we could have as many as we wanted, money was a very scarce commodity then so in one sense they were rationed by price.

Yes I have seen the shop in Buxton you mention G.W. but didn't look too closely in case was tempted, I am trying to keep my weight down to help my mobility.

Thanks for your posting I am getting lonely on this thread.

george 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#40 Posted : 20 December 2010 14:38:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello, George,

I know many people come on here with moans about shops closing and businesses failing and, of course, that is a disturbing sign of the times.

But it was not always this way:

At one time we had few shops. I am an Horwichender and although I wasn’t about when this photo was taken you will see that Willow Terrace was just a row of houses.
There was only the post office on that side of the road.

R. S-S